Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to hear my cousin (Hansford Rowe) tonight! - Update

I'm going to drive up to Harrisburg, Pa. tonight to hear a cousin's (first cousin twice removed or second cousin, I'm not sure which) band. I've never met him, so it should be fun. The thread on the death of drummer Pierre Moerlin prompted me to look him up. My cousin, Hansford Rowe, used to play with Pierre in "Gong", back in the 70's and 80's. From what I've heard, he's an incredible bass player, he's worked with Allen Holdsworth, Mike Oldfield and others. His current band is "Gongzilla", with bass, drums, guitar, percussion and vibraphone. They describe themselves as a fusion jam band, so there should be a lot of energy.

I'll let you know how it goes!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic! What an excellent group of musicians. The venue was fairly small, with only about 20 patrons in the bar and club room, but these guys put on a show with as much energy as if there were 20,000 in the audience. It was a real treat to finally meet my distant cousin (still not sure of the relationship, his grandfather and my grandfather were brothers), we talked about family and music, a very nice fellow.

The music was incredible! I'm not an afficionado of fusion, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, the aural pictures they painted were beyond description. Two very gifted guitarists (one is Bon Lozaga, who played with Hansford in Gong), an incredible drummer, as well as Hansford (as good as his reputation) on bass. The percussionist/vibraphonist certainly added a vibrant (no pun intended :D ) extra dimension to the band.

The band played mostly instrumentals, with a few songs with vocals thrown in, the setlist consisted of new material, some of their older stuff, and some tunes from Gong. A very etherial atmosphere at times (I'd never seen anyone play a conch shell in tune before) , then they'd bust out with a full blown jazz-rock tune.

All in all, it was a great evening, great music and great meeting my cousin. Well worth the 160 mile round trip, and having to get up four hours after I got home.

If you ever get the chance to see Gongzilla, check them out, if you appreciate good music, no matter the genre, you won't regret it!

Actually, they were outside of Harrisburg, in Etters. They played at KClingers, which is a really nice venue. I don't know if jazz fusion has a very big following in the area, but I will certainly make the trip again if they play there in the future!

KClingers - great place. Not too far from Bumper Bobs - great food, nice size portions (you don't go home hungry). And just down the road from the Hillside and the Alpine Inn - great for steak.

Read my topic on the Millenium Music Conference, you would enjoy that.

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Wow, that takes me back... "Expresso I & II" are albums that featured your cousin in Gong with Allan Holdsworth...great stuff.
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived