Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Anka's Rock Swings

My wife gave me this CD for Father's Day and just popped it in my CD player.

I was very surprised!!! Call me crazy but this is a fun CD. Great sounding production and excellent big band arrangements of a lot of popular songs.

Never thought i'd get blown away by Paul Anka. I guess i'm showing my age! :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by FrankieP:

My wife gave me this CD for Father's Day and just popped it in my CD player.

I was very surprised!!! Call me crazy but this is a fun CD. Great sounding production and excellent big band arrangements of a lot of popular songs.

Never thought i'd get blown away by Paul Anka. I guess i'm showing my age! :)

To bad he doesn't sing, "Diana"...that's my favorite Paul Anka song. :)

I saw him on Letterman the other night with the big band doing "Smells like Teen Spirt"

And all I can tell you is that whomever told him that it would be good idea to do that song in that style should be bitch slapped.

It was a travesty and I am certain that Mr. Anka had no idea how wrong that song sounds with the full lounge lizard suit guy treatment.

If he wasn't serious it would have been funny.

But it wasn't.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by songrytr:

I heard him on the Stern show a few weeks ago and was blown away with how cool he was. Surprise, surprise...

I have met Paul Anka, he is definitely cool. "Smells like Teen Spirit" by Paul Anka with a big band swing arrangement is definitely not cool.

I am probably a bigger big band fan than a Nirvana fan. This attempt at blending these two styles is just ugly and wrong, thats all.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

I started a thread about this album on the guitar forum which quickly went off track.

I'm not yet sure if "Rock Swings" is a gently satire like Joe Piscopo doing Sinatra doing "I Love Rock and Roll".

The big band arrangements are excellent, and Anka's singing is servicable. But what is the point of this CD? I could play this album for my 75 year old parents, and they'd hear big band music, they'd have no clue as to the original source for the material. If I played them the source material they's turn it off pronto.

Anka has said very sincerely on more than one occasion that he liked Sid Vicious doing "My Way". Sid, intentionally or otherwise, delivered the spirit of the song as good as anybody.

On one hand, Anka is making some excellent songs accesible to an audience that might otherwise never hear them. On the other hand, it's just bizarre.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Paul Anka is a pretty cool guy, and a good singer/musician. I saw him on a day time TV show some years ago where HE was the headliner for the hour. He took requests, talked about the fifties music generation, the history, etc. He played the piano, sang, and entertained. Here, I thought he was just another one of those fifties teen idols a few clicks above Fabian. WRONG. I don't know about this CD that you folks are talking about, but Paul Anka is for real.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

....Ya know, every time (and of course it dosen't happen often) there's a thread about Paul Anka (also Buddy Rich) someone posts a link to these backstage harangues. Sure they're funny to listen to, but I wonder if they are the product of LOTS of frustration with the guys being dealt with at the time, and not some blowup over a cat having mismatched cufflinks at one gig. In the little bit I've dealt with the leader role in bands I find the somewhat iconoclastic nature of musicians, in particular some of the more talented ones, can be in direct conflict with some of the more mundane non- musical or "show biz" aspects of a gig, which unfortunately are still important to the total presentation. Also being a leader has taught me vividly that if there is a problem with one of the other guys on the stand and the buyer, as leader you are the one to get landed on (this aspect is my personal favorite). Not to excuse Anka or Buddy, as a sideman I myself would probably walk if dealt with in this manner, but then again I would do my dead level best to make sure no one had to.

Archived