Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eminem, I don't get it

Saw an old school friend I haven't seen in over 30 years! He mentioned that he likes some Eminem stuff. Mentioned WHITE AMERICA and SUPERMAN and STAN. Said I should check it out, since I am a songwriter.

So, here's SUPERMAN. I don't get it. Do you? Why is this so popular? Is it the rebelliousness? Do the words even matter or is it the beat or what? Why do people like this? Why would women like this? Somebody does. He's sold a gazillion records.

SUPERMAN

(Feat Dina Rea)

Dina Rea:

Mmmhh

Eminem:

You high baby?

Dina Rea:

Yeahh...

Eminem:

Yeah?

Dina Rea:

hahaha..Talk to me...

Eminem:

You want me to tell you somethin?

Dina Rea:

Uh huh...

Eminem:

I know what you wanna hear... 'Cuz I know you want me baby I think I want you too...

Dina Rea:

I think I love you baby...

Eminem:

I think I love you too...

I'm here to save you girl,

Come be in shady's world,

I wanna grow together,

Let's let our love unfurl.

You know you want me baby,

You know I want you too,

They call me Superman,

I'm here to rescue you,

I wanna save you girl,

come be in Shady's world...

Dina Rea:

oh boy you drive me crazy...

Eminem:

Bitch you make me hurl...

Eminem:

They call me Superman,

Leap tall hoes in a single bound,

I'm single now,

Got no ring on this finger now,

I'll never let another chick bring me down,

In a relationship, save it bitch, babysit? you make me sick,

Superman aint savin shit, girl you can jump on shady's dick,

Straight from the hip, cut to the chase,

I'll tell a mo'fuckin slut to her face,

Play no games, say no names, ever since I broke up with what's her face,

I'm a different man, kiss my ass, kiss my lips, bitch why ask?

Kiss my dick, hit my cash, i'd rather have you whip my ass,

Don't put out? i'll put you out,

Won't get out? i'll push you out,

Puss blew out, copin shit,

Wouldn't piss on fire to put you out,

Am I too nice? buy you ice,

Bitch if you died, wouldn't buy you life,

What you tryin to be, my new wife?

What you Mariah? fly through twice,

But I do know one thing though,

Bitches they come, they go,

Saturday through sunday monday,

Monday through sunday yo,

Maybe i'll love you one day,

Maybe we'll someday grow,

Till then just sit your drunk ass on that fuckin runway hoe...

Chorus:

'Cuz I can't be your superman,

Can't be your superman,

Can't be your superman,

Can't be your superman,

I can't be your superman,

Can't be your superman,

Can't be your superman,

Your superman, your superman...

Eminem:

Don't get me wrong,

I love these hoes,

It's no secret,

Everybody knows,

Can't we fuck?

Bitch so what?

That's about as far as your buddy goes,

We'll be friends,

I'll call you again,

I'll chase you around every bar you attend,

Never know what kind of car i'll be in,

Woman Screaming

We'll see how much you'll be partying then,

You don't want that,

Neither do I,

I don't wanna flip when I see you with guys,

Too much pride,

Between you and I,

Not a jealous man, but females lie,

But I guess that's just what sluts do,

How could it ever be just us two?

Never loved you enough to trust you,

We just met and I just fucked you,

Bitches they come they go,

Saturday through Sunday monday,

Monday through Sunday yo,

Maybe I'll love you one day,

'Till then just sit your drunk ass on that fuckin runway hoe...

Eminem & Dina Rae Over Chorus 2x

Eminem:

I know you want me baby,

I think I want you too...

Dina Rea:

Eminem:

I think I love you too,

Come be in shady's world,

I wanna grow together,

Lets let our love unfurl,

You know I want you too,

They call me Superman,

I'm here to rescue you,

I wanna save you girl,

Come be in shady's world...

Dina Rea:

Oh boy you drive me crazy...

Eminem:

Bitch you make me hurl.

Eminem:

First thing you said...

Eminem As Women:

I'm not phazed,

I hang around big stars all day,

I don't see what the big deal is anyway,

You're just plain ol' Marshall to me...

Eminem:

Ooh yeah girl run that game...

Eminem As Women:

Haily Jade...I love that name,

Love that tattoo...what's that say?

'rot in pieces' aww that's great...

Eminem:

First off you don't know Marshall,

Add also, don't grow partial,

That's ammo for my arsenal,

I'll snap you off that bar stool,

There goes another lawsuit,

Leave handprints all accross you,

Good lordy-wody you must be blown off that water bottle,

You want what you can't have,

Ooh girl that's too damn bad,

Don't touch what you can't grab,

End up with two back hands,

Put Anthrax on a Tampax and slap you till you can't stand,

Girl you just blew your chance,

Don't mean to ruin your plans,

Bitches they come they go,

Saturday through Sunday Monday,

Monday through Sunday yo,

Maybe I'll love you one day,

'Till then just sit your drunk ass on that fuckin runway hoe...

Eminem & Dina Rae Over Chorus 2x

Eminem:

I know you want me baby,

I think I want you too...

Dina Rea:

Eminem:

I think I love you too,

Come be in Shady's world,

I wanna grow together,

Lets let our love unfurl,

You know I want you too,

They call me Superman,

I'm here to rescue you,

I wanna save you girl,

Come be in shady's world...

Dina Rea:

Oh boy you drive me crazy...

Eminem:

Bitch you make me hurl.

Chorus 2x B W Dina Rea Singing

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently these lyrics are a soulful and erudite attempt to analyse the psychopathology of neo-imperialism in the context of the personification of the male ego. How can anybody not see this.

(p.s. the last time my love unfurled I got it caught in door and Mrs. Blackpig had to apply a soothing embrocation.)

Duke, there is a lot of different music, and a lot of different people from different backgrounds, each of whom will relate to music on different levels.

I have my own likes and dislikes... I can't usually relate to modern pop country. I find nothing in it that fits well with my experiences and worldview. So, I'd probably rather listen to Eminem than Shania Twain.

It's great that there's so many kinds of music. Luckily, there's no law that says you have to like them all.

- Jeff

Ya, I was just wondering what is the draw to this. I can't imagine some of this stuff having value. But I'm open. Shit, gimme a little "All We Need Is Love." The older I get, the sappier I get. I wonder if that happens to other people. I guess if I were 21, I'd get it more but never in my life have I been one to advocate killing people and mistreating women like they are worthless sluts. I truly do NOT get it.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Yes Mr. Blackpig I think we're talking about the esoteric essence, the very essence OF evanescence, as in the fading of love's light and glory. The Super hero theme underlies the male Super Ego and bespeaks of a longing for intimacy not yet defined. The main character switches from male to female at one point trying to assume a posture that is not believable, and yet there is a formation of distinct communality.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Yes Mr. Blackpig I think we're talking about the esoteric essence, the very essence OF evanescence, as in the fading of love's light and glory. The Super hero theme underlies the male Super Ego and bespeaks of a longing for intimacy not yet defined. The main character switches from male to female at one point trying to assume a posture that is not believable, and yet there is a formation of distinct communality.

:D:D:D

I wasn't really meaning a literal translation of the song, haha. Although, the friend I mentioned, he told me he is gay. So I guess misogynism (is that a word?) is at play.

But I just meant the draw to this style of writing. I don't get THAT. I suspect that because these people say (write) such rebelliousness, some of the draw is "I can't believe he just said that." As for why young people dig it so much.

Beats me.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Ya, I was just wondering what is the draw to this. I can't imagine some of this stuff having value.

Right. That's because your upbringing and background in general tell you that lyrically or musically, what's being said or played is wrong. Another person might relate to this from a completely different perspective. Eminem, growing up in low-income Detroit, and being from a different generation than you, probably approached life (and his music) from an angle that's totally foreign to you.

Music is often purposefully divisive, in that young kids often don't want to be relating to the music of their parents, and don't want their parents relating to their music. It's what makes the music *theirs*.

Personally, I don't like music that objectifies women or advocates violence or hate. But heavy metal is every bit as guilty of that as hip-hop, so you can't even pidgeonhole it to one genre.

By the way: I'm as offended by many of Toby Keith's lyrics as some people are by Eminem's. Different folks, different strokes, and so on.

- Jeff

I find M&M funny, pathetic, but funny. Like Sam Kinison he expresses the irrational anger experienced by so many young men and teenagers. If you were never an angry young man, or have completely forgotten what it's like, it may be difficult for you to relate to. But just like you don't necessarilly have to like the characters in a movie to find the drama compelling or the comedy funny, one can still find the expressions of a repulsive character interesting to observe.

On the other hand, although I find artists like M&M somewhat interesting, I avoid actually buying their records because I don't want to support the proliferation of such mysogyny. But let's not forget that in 1969 the Rolling Stones were singing about the joys of raping women (Midnight Rambler), whipping female slaves (Brown Sugar) and molesting young girls (Stray Cat Blues), so its not like this stuff is new.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

By the way: I'm as offended by many of Toby Keith's lyrics as some people are by Eminem's. Different folks, different strokes, and so on.

We're on the same page, Jeff and I've said that many times, haha. Everybody around me loves the guy, he's all over the t.v., he's a superstar. Gag me. What an arrogant son of a bitch.

I played some songs for a gathering of music industry people a few days ago. One was a patriotic song, another was a protest song. For that latter, a girl said "Yeah, I like it but it's too liberal." I said "It's a protest song. And by the way, do you like Toby Keith's 'Courtesy Of The Red White And Blue?'" She said, "Oh, yeah." I said "Well, I hate it. I absolutely hate it. It is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. Isn't there room for more than one viewpoint? Because you don't like the message in my song, does that mean there is no market for protest songs? There's certainly a market for Toby Keith, that's for sure. But is there a market for Steve Earle songs? Not as much, but some people dig it."

I just truly wondered what the draw is for Eminem (and others). If there is any one thing he is revered for. I've heard people mention the word "genius" with him. Hmmm. Although, I'd need see a lot more of his work to know more about what HE is about.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

And Duke... that's an important part of the process: keeping yourself open-minded enough to discover something about an artist (or an entire genre) that you might have otherwise overlooked.

As I said recently on another thread somewhere: evert passing generation of listener is luckier than the last, since they've both both the old classics and the new stuff to choose from. Music doesn't go away. I just listened to some J.S. Bach from the early 1700s that rocked my world! :thu:

- Jeff

I'm one of those who think Eminem is a genius. He is totally unique, self-deprecating while others are self-aggrandizing, clever and original, honest, unexpected, ascerbic, cutting, ironic, funny, and highly entertaining.

Plus, the mixture of pop and rap production is really great.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

I'm one of those who thinks that this all is a complete bulls--t, and don't even deserves to be next to the potatos in the stores. Total useless and not necessary.

Plus. the mixture of dumbness and clever marketing is really great. But there is even worser sound then that. It's for the kids, but not the smart ones.

-Peace, and Love, and Potatos

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

I think the guy's quite talented, and as Brittanylips says (gasp, we actually agree on something!) self-deprecating, clever, etc. But you know, not everyone likes hip-hop, it doesn't resonate with everyone, so it's fine. I like some of the clever word play in a few of the songs. Is he my favorite artist? No. I have a couple of CDs and enjoy them from time to time.

I agree with pretty much everything that Jeff wrote about people's backgrounds coloring what they perceive, and like him, I'm more "offended" or "put off" by some Toby Keith stuff or other things than I am with hip-hop lyrics. Sometimes. I don't go for the mysoginistic stuff regardless.

So just out of curiosity, is there a perception among people who don't like him that he is all marketing and has no creativity or talent?

I've always found this interesting, as I see that there is a lot of talented people making music out there that I simply don't like or relate to in any way.

So Angelo, would you say that pretty much anybody who had MTV good looks could do what he does? Does he genuinely have no talent and is all marketing hype? Or is he talented but you just don't like the music? Or a little bit of both? Or none of the above? :D

So, for instance, I think that Whitney Houston is really talented. However, her music makes me wretch. Ashlee Simpson, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Same with Britnee. I mean, can they actually sing? I don't know. So I'm just wondering.

Em is about the only rapper I do like. Most of his lyrics make sense and it ain't all about partying and sex and drugs. 'SUPERMAN' I don't get at all. Slowly

P.S. "WHITE AMERICA" is his best work ever.

"Let It Be!"

I wasn't really meaning a literal translation of the song, haha. Although, the friend I mentioned, he told me he is gay. So I guess misogynism (is that a word?) is at play.

This friend of yours is gay, so he therefore might lean towards misogyny? :confused::eek: That makes no sense at all.

-----------------------------------

As for Mr. Mathers, the way he fits his words into and around the rhythm is pretty unique. The wordiness is kind of unique too, making multi-syllabic words fit into the rhythmic frame.

I don't especially care for the sound of his voice or the content of his lyrics, but I can see where it is different and perhaps more appealing than some of the straight four-on-the-floor rap stylings I've heard.

As I was saying in my former post the lyrics of this sound poem are most revealing.

The details of musical entropy are indeed maligned in many quarters both foreign and domestic but this does not excuse the winsome aberration of colloquial colonialism. Or....does it?

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

So Angelo, would you say that pretty much anybody who had MTV good looks could do what he does? Does he genuinely have no talent and is all marketing hype? Or is he talented but you just don't like the music? Or a little bit of both? Or none of the above? :D

So, for instance, I think that Whitney Houston is really talented. However, her music makes me wretch. Ashlee Simpson, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Same with Britnee. I mean, can they actually sing? I don't know. So I'm just wondering.

MTV Circus: Of course many can, if they have the ego to do it, and the help of a team.

Whitney: funny you mention that, I think Celin and Barbra can really sing too, but i can't stand the songs nor the timbre ! But there is a singer i really love, but i don't tell you who it is, hee-hee, the initial are G.N., female. :D

I guess i'm out of puperty completly, and into music who doesn't have to make a compromise of any sort, where the music is upfront, and not a stupid ass who has nothing to say nor any idea what's going on.

When i look MTV i always come up with questions like:

"WHY HAS POP MADE NO PROGRESS?"

"IS THAT ME 35 Years AGO?"

"WAS POP ALREADY A STUPID PRODUCT WHEN I LIKED IT 30 YEARS AGO, AND I JUST LIKED IT BECAUSE I WAS YOUNG?"

"CAN BUBBLEGUM MAKE PROGRESS AT ALL"

:D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Wewus, if you can make words like "entropy", "aberration", and "colloquial" fit onto a slammin' beat, you make take his Eminence off the charts! :thu:

And while I see your point that gay men may not hate women, but...

perhaps the word here (also to a slammin' beat) would be antipathy .

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I've always found this interesting, as I see that there is a lot of talented people making music out there that I simply don't like or relate to in any way.

I think Toby Keith is a very talented writer. His record is phenomenal for writing 'pop country.' I just can't stand him.

As for Eminem, I don't know enough about him to say and I'm not around people who listen to his genre to influence me.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by Billster:

[qb] This friend of yours is gay, so he therefore might lean towards misogyny? :confused::eek: That makes no sense at all.

I dunno. He used that term. He said something like "the mysogynystic side of me." I don't know what it means for him to say that. I'm not gay. Maybe he was being sarcastic. I dunno, he's pretty funny, no telling what he meant. But he said one of the reasons he liked Superman is because of that.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived