Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

gear whore......?

if a crack whore gets paid in crack, does getting paid with gear make me a gear whore? i think it might.

today one of my college professors (i have long since graduated) paid me in gear.

she wanted to archive her record collection onto cd and asked me how to do it. she already had all the stuff, G4, record player etc. so i showed her how to record into peak, create regions, export as disc image and burn with jam. for me this is all second nature, but i realised for a non-techie this is quite a hard process. she didnt understand gain, clipping, or anything. so this took a while. i even had to install a burner inside her G4 (its an older model G4).

heck, i was going to give her my charity-rate or enough to buy some beers later on because she did teach me a lot in school, and i like her. she also teaches oboe to my wife.

for anyone else, my half-day rate would be $250 for this kind of thing (and i think thats cheap).

SOOOO, after she had it all figgered out, she says instead of paying me would i consider taking her in-brand-new condition ensoniq SQ2. i know these are somewhat old now, but around here they are worth $600 to $1000 still.

YES I TOOK THE KEYBOARD. LIKE I NEED ANOTHER STUPID KEYBOARD, I ALREADY HAVE LIKE SIX OR SO.

but i wanted it and i am happy. ive used these so i know what they can/cant do. they do look pretty nice sitting there when a client comes over eh?

then she said, i've got these other keyboards you can take also.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they were in boxes, so i didnt know what they were until i got them home. one is an interface for an apple 2e (useless) and the other is a casio CZ1000. i have never heard of the casio, but it looks like a toy. i did some research on these and from what i read they are deceptively awesome. they look like toys, the presets are crap, but from what i read the synth is quite powerful and good sounding. we'll see.

anyway, i am excited with my new toys.

NOW WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT MORE KEYBOARDS? I BARELY HAVE ROOM FOR THE ONES I GOT. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, this cz1000 is about the size of my ms2000 - roughly 40 keys or so.

it even has tabs on the sides for a neck strap. oh boy. you just know i have to do that :) since it runs on batteries........i may have to you know, er, um hook up the wireless i have and um, be super-gay and walk out into the crowd.

OR MAYBE NOT :)

ya never know with me. hell, I never know with me.

i'm itchin' to get off work so i can go fire up the toys

The CZ1000 was the Casio everyone wanted. Of course, compared to modern keys, the sounds will be dated and not necessarily vintage as opposed to just being stale. ;)

If you don't want it, I'm quite sure there are at least a few Ebayers sitting at home, waiting for a nice CZ1000 to hit the sales pages.

And yeah, they were prized for the strap buttons and battery operation. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sounds like a great deal!!

I owned a SQ1 Plus... good keyboard, right feature set. SQ2 is the same with more keys. Give a try to its Rotating Speaker FX! ...

That CASIO CZ1000 was a good deal too... and as Neil pointed out, you can always e-bay it :cool:

You, gear whore :D

... now I envy you. Last thing I got as a payment was a tiny YAMAHA QY10 which I owned once too and always wished back...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Which suggests the question... was she... oh. never mind. I'm trying to stay out of trouble.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by d gauss:

in lieu of money, i often get paid in whores. some of them are even female and have more than two teeth... :)

-d. gauss

Now you are my new hero :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Gauss can always be counted on for a laugh. :)

Coaster, the CZ was quite a hip (although affordable) little synth back in the day. As has already been noted, the CZ-101 was the smaller version, with sub-standard sized keys. At least you get full sized keys. :) And while PD synths were not the easiest things to program, IMO they were not as hard as Yamaha's FM synths of the day (DX-7 et al), and some cool sounds can be coaxed from the little guy.

Here's a vintage synth link for you... I'm sure there's plenty of CZ fans still around and a quick Google search will probably get you all the info you can use:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html

Congrats on the new (old) synths. I'm especially jealous of the Ensoniq... I've still got my old ESQ-1 that I purchased new back in 1987 or so, and it's still a cool little synth. Hardly modern, and the SQ kills it insofar as features, but I was always an Ensoniq fan back in the day, and you getting a "like new" SQ2 is very cool indeed!

http://foxtick.com/foxboard/images/smiles/Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

coaster, I think that's pretty a pretty cool deal! :thu: I actually still have a CZ-101 that I picked up for some change years ago. It's a bit of a pain, as you need to have a memory cart (which I don't have :mad: ) to store your own patches, BUT - I did some looking on the net & I found a ton of patch programs. It's really time-consuming to put them in (another reason I don't use it a lot...), but it is capable of some really cool analog synth-style sounds, that to me sound a lot more "raw" than digital versions.

Enjoy your new toys!

i finally had a chance to fire up the boards last night. the ensoniq was no suprises other than the low battery warning. sounds better than i ever remember them sounding, and i used them a lot back in the day. the piano sound on patch 00 is pretty good if you like piano sounds.

then i fired up the CZ1000. WHOAH!! bad presets is right!!!! it should be called a Chee-Z 1000!!!

i'll wait till i mess with it more. i still think i has the possibility to be a neat synth for sure. what were they thinking when they programed those awful sounds?

phil, you may remember i too have an esq1. and i know one day in the near future it just wont turn on anymore. i'll probably sink some cash into it like an aging dog you cant bear to see go just yet, but in the end the outcome is inevitable. such was the case with my old mirage. i sunk a ton o'cash into that thing but inevitably one day it just worked no more. it took three or four years after it died for me to finally put it n the trash, and i'll admit i cried.

WHY IS THAT? my akai sampler blows its doors off in every direction. but its not the same. ive tried and tried but have never been able to get that wonderful cruddy crapoliscious sound again.

and to me, nothing sounds like the esq1 either.

kind of odd that i love these ensoniq's so much, because i really am more of a korg guy. korgs kick ass!

And is there anyone here, who isn't trying to wipe that gear residue from somewhere proximate on their persons....

Anything eating batteries should use rechargables, they last three times a slong as Ultra's etc.

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Robman2:

And is there anyone here, who isn't trying to wipe that gear residue from somewhere proximate on their persons....

Anything eating batteries should use rechargables, they last three times a slong as Ultra's etc.

Not per charge they don't. Rechargables are the bain a musician's existence. They hold voltage right up until they die. Sure, that means you're solid right up until the mo--... ment they die and you change the batteries.

Alkaline and even Carbon batteries let you know the end is near without totally dying. So you can finish a song or a set and then replace the dying batteries. ;)

And even with long battery use times, don't ever use rechargables in wireless units. They don't last as long per charge as an alkaline and suffer the same fate as I described above. Anyone want to have your mic just qu--..... it on you in the middle of a song? Not me!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I dig the CZ. It's good for running through guitar pedals for distortion then into a delay. Single note lines like that faux cello sound on the old Peter Murphy single. Use the vibrato, it's cheesy cool, I think.

Archived