Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heh Cruise gets pranked

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He seems charming, good natured and not at all uptight. It's nice to see folks with the ability to laugh, go with the flow and make the best out of an otherwise difficult situation. Nice sense of humor there. Always knew I liked him.
"Nothing is true; everything is permitted."

Sorry, but I have to side with Cruise on this one.. the guy WAS a jerk. Not funny. "Reporters" and nutcase fans think they can invade people's privacy, assault them or whatever (and it might indeed be considered an "assault" under English law, but I don't know for certain), with impunity. Sure, it was "only water", but OTOH, it WAS rude and uncalled for, and I admire Tom's restraint in the response. Personally, my first inclination would have been to go Russell Crowe on the guy, and while that would be very wrong too, I don't think people should be allowed to do crud like this without consequences either. And wht if it wasn't water, but acid or something else? IMO, I wouldn't want to be a "star" in this day and age. No way. :(

Not that stars can't be jerks too, but IMO, Tom responded a lot better than many people would to the actions of a true jerk.

Yeah, you're right, Mr. O'Keefe.

I probably just expect too much from others since I laugh at myself pretty readily. Goddess only knows, it's gotta be a tough job being a 'star'. I'm sure given everything he's encountered, nothing would have readied him for that traumatic water experience. It could have gone way too far and hurt the hair and make-up. I was sure glad to see someone dive in there with a towel so readily. Excellent save!

Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

You don't think that it could have been a publicity stunt thing, do you?

Nah

I'm sure it couldn't have been.

Yup. He seemed pretty controlled, I'll give him that.

Maybe we'll get to see this in court too. :thu:

you're right, Mr. O'Keefe

I see, (and appreciate :) ) the sarcasm Miki. And you do bring up a point that I didn't initially consider - publicity stunt. Is that what is was? I have no way of knowing, but in light of the current PR stuff that has been going on in Cruiseland, I suppose it's possible... but I suppose it's equally possible that it wasn't, and someone just wanted to "take him down a notch" or thought they could get their 15 min. of fame this way. Hard to say. But it's certainly possible that you're correct.

BTW, you can belay the formalities... my name is Phil. Or if you prefer, Philip. :)

BTW, for the record, after re-reading my post, I want to clarify something: I do NOT condone a violent response in such circumstances. As a "hot headed Irish-American", I know I can have a temper, and I do my best daily to control it. While I might have an INITIAL desire to clock the guy, I certainly wouldn't be likely to do so, nor would I suggest or condone such a reaction. :)

It depends on the mood at the time. For me, there have been times when it's been a hot summer day, and I'm wearing shorts, and one of the kids squirts me with the hose, and I'll play along, and the whole thing will lead to a jolly water battle.

But, other times, for whatever reason, I might not be in the mood, and if someone was to pull that, I'd at least probably have uttered a couple of expletives.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

you're right, Mr. O'Keefe

I do NOT condone a violent response in such circumstances. As a "hot headed Irish-American", I know I can have a temper, and I do my best daily to control it. While I might have an INITIAL desire to clock the guy, I certainly wouldn't be likely to do so, nor would I suggest or condone such a reaction. :)

Damnit! Now you tell me! I just went to downtown ATL after reading your first post and beat the shit out of a few CNN reporters. :D

But how else is a mediocre wannabe media twerp gonna "make it?"

He knows it's his only shot...And unforunately, he and every other dipshit hater out there knows that they have a legitimate shot, a puncher's chance, at actually getting 12-15 minutes' of fame out of it.

Sure, movie stars, jocks and rock stars are seriously overrated...But I wouldn't blame a-one of them if, just once, they turned around one day and kicked some paparazzi ass!

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

These were freelance reporters for UK's Channel 4 doing a show explicitly featuring celebrity pranks.

I wouldn't guess it's something that would be a hugely guarded secret in the 'star publicity' community. And I'm sure that given a movie premiere, no one would expect such a 'prank' to occur.

Color me jaded.

Bygones.

Like Happy Gilmore getting his ass kicked by Bob Barker. :D

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/happy_gilmore/_group_photos/adam_sandler1.jpg

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

it has already happened (I'm sure more than once), like when Buzz Aldrin clocked that guy...
Such is the price of fame these days, I guess. And for every person who goes to the trouble of building a sand castle in this ridiculous playground, there are 100 jerks looking to run over and knock it down.
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Well, apparently the guy (Bart Sibrel) who got hit had it coming to him... it was a setup on Buzz, and the DA decided to file no charges, saying Aldrin was "provoked". I'm still not condoning it, but some of these people are kooks (like that guy was) or just plain rude and antagonistic for the sake of their own career advancement, and other people's lives be damned. Not the way to get ahead IMO. Or at least not a way that *I* would want to get ahead, and what I'd want to be known for.

Tedster - :D

I made the same point to my wife. It was "only water", but it could have been acid. Or had a biological agent in it.

Paranoid? Yeah, maybe a little. But I remember all too well a day in December 1980 when a working class hero, who was loved by many, and who spoke of "giving peace a chance" and "all you need is love" was gunned down while signing an autograph. :cry:

I remember when Arsenial Hall had Madonna as a guest on his show the night before Tom Cruise was due to be a guest on the show. Hall mentioned to Madonna that Cruise would be his guest star the following night and Madonna began slamming Cruise and saying every derogatory thing she could possibly come up with about him. Nothing of merit... just the trash talk that one could expect from her likes. She called Cruise and Kevin Costner "pretty boys" and whatever.... Probably a good 10 to 15 minutes of the show that night was Madonna degrading Cruise.

The following night Tom Cruise was asked by Hall if he had witnessed the show with Madonna. He humbly said, "Yes, I did" without anything more until asked by Hall... "So what do you have to say about her remarks?" (paraphrased) and the only comeback that Hall could get from Cruise was "All I have to say is, at least she placed me in good company along with a man of class like Kevin Costner" :cool: (again paraphrased)....

A man of very few words, but the words sent a very powerful message... I began viewing Cruise in an entirely different light after that... The man has complete control over his reaction to action. He's a Class Act :thu:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Pranked, punked or whatever. It is all stupid behavior by stupid people with too much time on their hands. Those who enjoy seeing an innocent celebrity assaulted as some form of entertainment are pretty stupid as well.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by miki:

I dispute the fact that there are any 'innocent celebrities', and I am far from stupid.

Thanks.

Well, do you enjoy seeing an innocent celebrity pranked?

Enjoying something like that is right up there with sitting in a lawn chair drooling while watching a bug zapper...

I've made my point.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Sorry that I don't agree with you.

However naive I think it is to give benefit of a doubt to someone known for publicity stunts, I'm not going to call you (or anyone else) 'stupid'.

Think whatever you wish. I'm done.

Originally posted by miki:

I dispute the fact that there are any 'innocent celebrities', and I am far from stupid.

Thanks.

I had not even read your post when I posted mine. There is this thing in psychology called "projection" perhaps you are reading way too much into this.

I do however stand by my comment.

I think Tom Cruise showed a lot of restraint in dealing with that clown. If the reporter had randomly done that to someone in say, a bar, he most likely would have walked away with some loose teeth.... and rightly so, IMO.

That is so true Quarterwave, I just saw the tape of the incident and I have to tell you; if scientology could make everyone as calm, sefl-restrained and in possesion of thier senses, we should all maybe check into it.

I am not a big Cruise fan, but my respect for him has just gone up tenfold.

Tom Cruise got where he is by virtue of hard work and talent. These nobodies will never be fit to polish his shoes. They are trying to get their 15 minutes by basking, in a perverse way, in the glory of others. There is serious concern in Britain at the moment with regard to prank behaviour that goes too far. It seems that this behaviour is about to be glorified on another variation of the imbecilic "Jackass". Fair play to Mr. Cruise for his restraint - I'd have put the bastards in wheelchairs, not only for what they did but for the assinine "culture" that they represent.

I have no use for pranks. I find them obnoxious and often crude, and most of the time the whole point of a prank is to embarrass or annoy the person being pranked.

Miki, it's not that I "don't get it" regarding your position, I just abhor people who decide to intrude on someone else's life with impunity, then brush it off as, "It was just a little joke. Get over it."

Like Phil, my gut reaction (and hopefully a reaction I would never act on) would be to knock out the prankster. Then say, "It was just a prank. Wasn't that funny? I thought so."

The difference between your view and mine is that no one was ever hurt or bothered when left alone.

If Tom Cruise had decked the guy, I suspect you would've shouted to the masses what a jerk Tom is. Instead, he reacted in a respectful way (more than can be said for the prankster) and you use that to say he's a jerk :rolleyes: You, jaded? Indeed.

I don't buy the "they're celebrities so they have to give up their private lives to the public that pays their bills" theory. I think it's good for celebrities to share part of themselves, beyond the reason for their fame, but in the end it should be their choice. If they choose not to be overly public you can choose to ignore them.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived