Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Potato Chips - KILL!!!!!

Don't take my word, read it for yer' self.....and please don't kill yourself with these death-chips, I really did love potato-chips :cry:

Public Health Advocates Cite Lack of Risk Notice on Potato Chip Bags

Public health attorneys in California have potato chip makers in their sights for not listing a cancer-causing chemical present in many brands.

That chemical is acrylamide. It is an industrial chemical used in plastics, pesticides and sewage treatment that also can occur when starchy foods, such as chips, are processed at high temperatures. The World Health Organization has said acrylamide may be responsible for up to one-third of all cancers caused by diet, as demonstrated by laboratory animal studies. Acrylamide is already on California's list of chemicals known to cause cancer, but some chipmakers haven't listed it on their product packaging as required by Proposition 65 statute.

The attorneys have filed Proposition 65 notices with the manufacturers of Lays, Pringles, Kettle Chips and Cape Cod chips. Research has shown those brands have unsafe levels of acrylamide in some of their chip varieties. The study looked at one ounce servings, which ranged from 11 to 20 chips depending on the brand, and determined the acrylamide content was substantially more than the 0.2 micrograms per day amount which prompts the Proposition 65 warning.

The brands tested and cited for high levels of acrylamide are: Lays Baked!, Lays Stax BBQ, Lays KC Masterpiece. Lays Natural Country Barbecue, Lays Light KC Barbecue Masterpiece, Pringles Snack Stacks (Pizzalicious Flavor), Pringles Sweet Mesquite BBQ, Kettle Chips Lightly Salted, Kettle Chips Honey Dijon, Cape Cod Robust Russet and Cape Cod Classic Chips.

Processed food manufacturers have reportedly asked Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for a exemption to Proposition 65 labeling for foods with carcinogens caused by heat processing. The governor's office is expected to announce its decision by August.

web page
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure does :thu:

Freeze baking is used commonly in food preparation, minor plastic surgery and treatment of pilonidal sinuses.

And finally, Mr Johnson has some important points to make on this issue.

Originally posted by nursers:

Haven't you heard of the freeze-baking process you idiot!

Uh, no. Freeze would indicate "cold", baking would imply "heat". Is Eurostralia bizarro world?
Looks like somebody needs a spanking....

And I had always thought-of Pringles as the perfect food that came in a tube! All food should be tube contained and stacked that way, it's so efficient and convenient, all they had to do was add some vitimins and minerals to the chips, but now this depressing news.......

......gosh, I think I'll go get some beer and ice-cream to help me feel better!

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Originally posted by Phait:

I don't think it's much of a concern, have any cases even come up regarding it? I haven't heard... probably just like the cellphone cancer worry.

Exactly right - just like that thalidomide urban myth ;)

Originally posted by pseudonym:

...can occur when starchy foods, such as chips, are processed at high temperatures.

I think I had maybe six potato chips last year, so that doesn't concern me, but what about fried rice?!?! :eek::cry:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

That's some hard nosed reporting by News 10 Sacramento, re-printing a press release from the lawyer's office like that. Lots of legwork goes into copying the e-mail from the lawyer over to the station website.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the breakroom eating raw potatoes. ;)

Originally posted by pseudonym:

And I had always thought-of Pringles as the perfect food that came in a tube!

Agreed. It's like the food that space people might eat. Or, really, really, organized people.

By the way, I appreciate the carefull thought you put into the naming of this thread, so as not to cause a panic or any rioting. Good job. :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

blackpig beat me to my kneejerk answer.

Btw, there is just as much nourishment in a pint of Guinness as there is in a loaf of bread. Guinness isn't baked, far as i can tell, and I think i could live on it.

But if the Americans stopped being fat, would North America rise and Ireland sink back into the ocean?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived