Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mackie vs. Tascam

I was all set to get the Mackie 1220 with firewire as my interface/mixer, and then it was pointed out that there is no midi I/O with the Mackie, no controller, and relatively high latency. The recommendation was to consider the Tascam 1082, which better integrates all of the DAW components and has lower latency. However, the Tascam isn't getting stellar reviews (I know the mic pres aren''t as good) and I'm wondering if there's a better solution. My goal is a mixer/interface that will allow for midi input and with low latency. Also, I plan on using the MAudio Audiophile 192 PCI interface in the interim, prior to getting a controllor/mixer (does the 192 substitute for a sound card, BTW?).

Thanks for any recommendations.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TASCAM as the controller, RME for sound card and RME Firewire Pre's or PreSonus firewire for the outborad Mic Pre's...

Sorry that's not what you asked I know but TASCAM does have the MIDI as I recall...

Then why not a new Yamha 01...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D30407%2526CTID%253D228600,00.html

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

You might consider the RME Fireface800 for the audio interface (Pre's / midi) ... a Mackie Big Knob for controlling speakers, headphones and talkback .... and a Tascam US24000 for control surface (if you need faders and knobs).

Dave

Originally posted by Robman2:

TASCAM as the controller, RME for sound card and RME Firewire Pre's or PreSonus firewire for the outborad Mic Pre's...

Sorry that's not what you asked I know but TASCAM does have the MIDI as I recall...

Then why not a new Yamha 01...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D30407%2526CTID%253D228600,00.html

Thanks, and funny you should mention Yamaha. I just stumbled on the Yamaha 01X. Seems like the 01X is the perfect solution: control surface/interface/midi. Any thoughts on this device?

I had a lot of TASCAM/TEAC products in the old days (like a lot of folks who started on 'affordable' tape machiens). I know that at least some of their digital designs are from Frontier Design, which is, I think, a real good outfit. But I still have a funny taste in my mouth from having to try to deal with TASCAM for all those many years. Back in the 80s, at any rate, their idea of customer support was a cruel joke...

PS... any company who insists that their company names be capitalized at all times... what's up with that? It's like giving your kid a first name like Archduke or something...

Originally posted by theblue1:

PS... any company who insists that their company names be capitalized at all times... what's up with that?

Far be it for me to defend any of my ex-employers, but I will tell you that TASCAM is an acronym, hence the capitalization.

TEAC Audio Systems Corp of AMerica.

TEAC itself is also an acronym, for Tokyo Electro Acoustic Corporation.

Now you know! :)

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

PS... any company who insists that their company names be capitalized at all times... what's up with that?

Far be it for me to defend any of my ex-employers, but I will tell you that TASCAM is an acronym, hence the capitalization.

TEAC Audio Systems Corp of AMerica.

TEAC itself is also an acronym, for Tokyo Electro Acoustic Corporation.

Now you know! :)

- Jeff

Well... okay. I guess there off the hook on that one... :D

I paid retail for the very first O1V ever sold at West LA Music some eons ago.

The O1's are kick ass machines generally and if it's a pissing contest, I'd say to the Pro side, it's usually TASCAM or Yamaha, then the others. (sorry Mackie fans)

Mine's been retrofitted with an aftermarket carriage which allows use of the O2 R cards, plus adds BNC I/O, Aes/EBU I/O and S/PDIF I/O...

It's been gathering dust and now, as I've finsihed my new computer, It will be the interface.

It's not 24 bit but between the RME 9632 and that mixer, running the rock solid pair of AKAI DR-4d's, it's all about gain structure anyway.

Thoughts now as I muse about the 10 or so grand, I spent to get that set fully blown, SMPTE AES/EBU, Remote controller and the OI-V with chassis, back in th 90's.

Cap that with the TLA, 9098 Neve, MPC 60, and holy shit, it's looking more like 30 to 40 grand...what was I thinking?

Now though, I'll have to permanantly leave a car in the driveway, and go ahead and build an 8 X 15 inner sanctum in the garage.

That gear went in a closet sized storage room as studio. I mean tiny...studio which will become the equipment room, with a more pleasing outer room for tracking and live recording, cocooned onto that bearing wall and the door to that space.

I know, I'm babbling again...

Sorry but it's the envisioning thing, tell your friends about all of the positves etc..Gestalt und Freud von mier...

Dither me up Mr. Scott....

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Or it stands for TEAC... A SCAM.

:D

An old joke in Montebello, trust me.

- Jeff

How long ago did you work there, Jeff? I drove up there one lunch hour in the mid-80's and the guy at the parts counter basically told me he wasn't supposed to sell me any parts (not an authorized service repair shop) and then gave me a box of loose, miscellaneous [and presumably used] spare parts for 3340's. That guy was a blinkin' saint!

I later gave up on my 70-8 because the shop that sold it to me used couldn't get any parts for a (paid) repair. It cost me over $2000 to not even fill up a single 10.5" reel of 1/2 inch tape... not counting the cost of the tape.

I may have had a couple problems with the ADATs I subsequently bought -- but they -- and Alesis -- were a beautiful dream compared to the TASCAM nightmares...

Where were you at Alesis? Don't tell me you were in the customer service dept... seems like I recall dealing with a "Jeff" there... anyhow, my dealings with Alesis were all really pretty good. They even fixed my BRC a little while out of warranty for free, which I thought was especially nice.

Anyhow, it must be a nice change working in lovely RB rather than Montebello or the Alesis neighborhood (I never did figure out what that area was called... half the time my head was swimming from all the seemingly duplicate street names).

No, not in tech support/customer service in either place, those I was pals with those peeps.

I'm the guy that did ads, trade shows, web sites, brochures, artist relations, public/media relations, special sales promotions, company magazines and all that gobbledygook. Hence the moniker of the Marketing Weasel.

And there you have it.

- Jeff

Waterman,

I hadn't heard about the latency issues with the Mackie. Are the issues with their firewire plug-in hardware?

Earlier this year, I was building a new platform using a a HP 3.2 Pentium and 512 gig of RAM. I am using Sonar 4 PE for my recording software.

I wanted an all-in-one type of interface device and took a hard look at the Yammy 01x and the Tascam FW-1884. Both are impressive devices, with the Yamaha providing software that the TASCAM didn't. The Yamaha also utilizes their mLAN protocol overlay on the firewire interface which could be a good thing if you have other devices that employ mLAN. The Yamaha was also less expensive than the Tascam.

I went with the FW-1884 for one main resaon. It has 8 balanced analog outs, while the Yamaha has only a stereo out. The Tascam also has 100 mm faders, where the Yamaha has 60 mm faders, not a big issue for me. The Tascam also has more midi ins and outs (4), and this was a big issue for me.

There are issues with both platforms and the Tascam requires quite a bit of tweaking, at least with Sonar, to get it where you want it. I have no first hand knowledge of this, but I have read about issues with the mLAN protocol as well. Probably another tweak-fest.

If you can live with the stereo only output and the minimal midi physical interfaces, go with the Yammy. I couldn't, so I went with the Tascam. The control surface implementation on both units seemed to work well. I own a AW-2816 and I love it, even if it is the little brother of the 4416. Yamaha makes good stuff.

Best of luck.

Rick

Originally posted by Keyrick:

Waterman,

I hadn't heard about the latency issues with the Mackie. Are the issues with their firewire plug-in hardware?

Earlier this year, I was building a new platform using a a HP 3.2 Pentium and 512 gig of RAM. I am using Sonar 4 PE for my recording software.

I wanted an all-in-one type of interface device and took a hard look at the Yammy 01x and the Tascam FW-1884. Both are impressive devices, with the Yamaha providing software that the TASCAM didn't. The Yamaha also utilizes their mLAN protocol overlay on the firewire interface which could be a good thing if you have other devices that employ mLAN. The Yamaha was also less expensive than the Tascam.

I went with the FW-1884 for one main resaon. It has 8 balanced analog outs, while the Yamaha has only a stereo out. The Tascam also has 100 mm faders, where the Yamaha has 60 mm faders, not a big issue for me. The Tascam also has more midi ins and outs (4), and this was a big issue for me.

There are issues with both platforms and the Tascam requires quite a bit of tweaking, at least with Sonar, to get it where you want it. I have no first hand knowledge of this, but I have read about issues with the mLAN protocol as well. Probably another tweak-fest.

If you can live with the stereo only output and the minimal midi physical interfaces, go with the Yammy. I couldn't, so I went with the Tascam. The control surface implementation on both units seemed to work well. I own a AW-2816 and I love it, even if it is the little brother of the 4416. Yamaha makes good stuff.

Best of luck.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. I've been torn between all of these interfaces. Mackie is appealling because it's analog and simple -- but no midi. But the best pre-amps, so I'm considering a simple midi-USB for my one midi device (synth). The Yamaha seems daunting and overly complex for my needs, although it's attractive because it has midi and a control surface. Same with the Tascam.

Since I will be using Tracktion and recording a max of 10 tracks or so, mostly audio plus drum loops/samples and the synth, I'm still leaning Mackie (not sure what the latency issue is - just heard about it from a vendor). If I were confident that the Yamaha could be a plug-and-play type thing with minimum effort to get what I need accomplished, I'd probably go with that. I don't need a lot of analog outs -- just a stereo out to the monitors.

Originally posted by g8bassplayer:

You might consider the RME Fireface800 for the audio interface (Pre's / midi) ...

That's what I've been using since November... I love it. Great sound.

No, not in tech support/customer service in either place, those I was pals with those peeps.

I'm the guy that did ads, trade shows, web sites, brochures, artist relations, public/media relations, special sales promotions, company magazines and all that gobbledygook. Hence the moniker of the Marketing Weasel.

And there you have it.

- Jeff

Musta worked... I bought a bunch of their stuff back in the mid-90s. (And I realize now I made you go through all this once before. Sorry about that. It's this whirlwind lifestyle I lead, I guess. Or is it the Alzheimers? I can't remember...)

;)

01x users, can you answer a question for me?

As per the local sales guy, there is no separate volume control for the headphones. Does that mean that everytime you want to use headphones, the main speaker outs are muted? That would mean that your headphones have to be unplugged and replugged everytime you change from headphone to monitors.

The Tascam has a separate volume control for monitors, and headphones. That seems much much more practical.

The 01x seems to be a better unit, but that workflow problem is a real bugger. You would need a separate headphone/monitor controller. More or less, that defeats the wole idea of one interface for mixing, input and output.

There is no substitute.

Originally posted by g8bassplayer:

You might consider the RME Fireface800 for the audio interface (Pre's / midi) ... a Mackie Big Knob for controlling speakers, headphones and talkback .... and a Tascam US24000 for control surface (if you need faders and knobs).

Dave

That is a lot of gear and money to replace an integrated in/out and mixer such as the 01x and Tascam. The parts you mentioned are probably better at each individual task, but the portability and integration goes out the window.
There is no substitute.

Archived