Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Did you hear ??? got shot last night?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Joe Cole:

With all the folks here saying that they know someone who died at the hands of a gunman....it really shocked me. That many?

More than I can count.

My former babysitter and his friends killed a guy over a girl.

A former teamate from little league blew a guys brains out at the neighborhood bar.

My jr high sweetheart was murdered by her boyfriend right in front of her kids.

My sister in laws cousin was found in the trunk of a car parked in front of his mothers house, executed by drug dealers.

My cousins husband lost three of his brothers to gun violence, they were all gangsters so it comes with the territory.

My cousin was a cop in seattle, shot to death when he stopped to help a stranded motorist who saw his badge and panicked.

My wife's best friends' brother was killed by a gangbanger, who shot him in a case of mistaken identity.

Maurice Cheeks' (Won a NBA title with Dr. J in the early 80's) brother and his girlfriend were kidnapped at a gas station blocks from my home, shot and left in a dumpster.

There's so little regard or respect for life nowadays.

We moved several times because the glamor boys would shoot up the neighborhood with automatics weapons. We got tired of sleeping on the floor.

I could go on and on but it's kinda depressing.

I have no problem with guns, but I have a HUGE problem with societal attitudes about the appropriateness of violence. Guns per capita has not changed that much in recent decades, but in the 60's and 70's, gun violence seemed far less prevalent and less random. Guns were viewed as a last resort.

Today, people get shot over parking spaces. Where did this total lack of respect for human life come from? Movies? TV? Videos? People don't learn to become mass murders by reading literature or going to the art museum. Kids don't come out of the womb ready to shoot up their high schools. Something in society is INSPIRING murderous behavior. Something that is under our control is CONDITIONING people to react violently, immediately, and without limits.

And somebody is probably getting rich in the process.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, you know me... I'm in general agreement with your last post, and I certainly have a theory about what the root cause is... but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Lee, I am extremely sorry about the loss of your friend. My condolences to you - this was just senseless and wrong. :mad::(

That's a fuckin shame..anger, emotion..WTF.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

What good has come from gun owning? Where is the benefit for society?
I own a gun. A couple of years ago on Halloween, three teens took a girl at knifepoint from the Walgreens down the street and robbed her in my yard. In the early evening, while kids were out trick-or-treating. You can take the belief that as long as you treat people well, they'll leave you be; but the very existence of this thread is evidence that that attitude is dangerously naive. If it were only myself, that would be one thing; but I have a wife and daughter to take care of. The problem is not guns, the problem is people who don't value life, who feel that the world owes them something, and feel that they're entitled to take whatever and however they want. Psychology has no answer for that. The legal system has no answer for that, though it can try to provide an appropriate punishment. Education has no answer: education doesn't fix a 20-year old with the maturity of a tantrum-throwing 5-year old. And lamenting that people aren't more pacifistic and advanced like you does less than zero to change the world. Go visit with some death row inmates, listen to their stories and listen to their victims' families' stories, and tell me that this wouldn't happen if only there were no guns. Guns just provide a shortcut for what would take a lot more effort with bats, rocks, and knives. I do think that much stricter licensing would be in order, as it also would with cars.

Lee, sorry to hear about your colleague. That is a very angering thing. I had a very sad time last summer. One of my neighbors, a police officer, was gunned down by somebody he was trying to chase down. He was a great guy, so nice that even people he'd arrested were paying him compliments. We hadn't had a policeman shot here since 1870, and it was all the worse because he was such a nice guy. All over a purse-snatching. But somebody who doesn't value his own life at all will certainly not value anybody else's.

Some people are idiots, seriousely, they don't take consequences seriousely. I knew a person like that, never ended up shooting, but sure was a faggot, i could've took him to hell and back but i'm just not like those demons that don't think straight...

---------------------

I make world class music, I just forget to write it down...

Don't touch my car! *wack!*

Some people are idiots, seriousely, they don't take consequences seriousely. I knew a person like that, never ended up shooting, but sure was a faggot, i could've took him to hell and back but i'm just not like those demons that don't think straight...

I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm guessing you're in your 20's maybe? Kinda unsure of the future and such, well me too, dude.

I've been thing of getting a 30-06 with a scope and a shot-gun and a handgun, maybe a Glock? I don't see anything in this country that tells me the next few generations is going to be happily employed and people are not going to have to not go "bad" to stay alive.

I had a gun my dad gave me, a winchester bolt-action, not exactly a sniper-rifle - if we become like Bosnia-Herzegovania(whatever). This shit can very well happen in America, I hate to say it, but you may wanna get lots-a-food and some guns. if this place goes up-the-creek, it'll be really a total disaster. :confused:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Originally posted by pseudonym:

[This shit can very well happen in America, I hate to say it, but you may wanna get lots-a-food and some guns. if this place goes up-the-creek, it'll be really a total disaster. :confused: [/QB]

don't do this man. If you buy into the survivalist theory, you become the victim by choice. You will live a sheltered scared existence. Understanding is the only path to peace, as another 20 something it's up to us to change the social perception of our neighbors. Action is needed, but not overt or covert aggression.

SLAM< CRASH< CREAK< BLAM<

Soapbox destroyed.

If this place turns into another Bosnia, you'd better have something a lot better than a bolt-action. MAK-90, SKS, AR-15, something of that sort is a better gun for the job. Think high-capacity and medium range. Also, those rifles don't kick as much, so it's easier to control and you've got a quicker follow-up shot.

It's also best not to go off the deep end. Think rational and be prepared. I've got a friend that is a Bosnian. He was living over there when all the crap broke out. The Bosnian muslims were going up against the Serbian army - Russian trained and supplied soldiers, not a group of poorly trained farmers with 60 year old Mausers. The Serbs had fully automatic rifles, heavy machine guns, and armored vehicles. Nothing a civilian can buy will stop a tank.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I saw in this movie once where these soldiers slapping sticky bombs on tanks to make them lose their tracks. They kicked those tanks' asses.

That's why I've got a bunch of sticky bombs under the bed.

Want some, get some.

I didn't mean to say I was in my 20's, I just have a bad feeling the people in their 20's don't have a brighter world to look forward too. I doubt I'll ever be able to retire and have no kind of savings, so I can't go running away if things get funky, better to think preparedness, while hoping and working for the better, why not be ready if TSHTF?
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Yea, you'll have no savings, times will gettin' leaner and leaner for you.. and next thing you know you'll be coming in your tank for my hoarded, canned cling peaches.

And that's when I go all sticky-bomb.

I'd like to point out again, one of the main reasons our Constitution guarantees us the right to bear arms is so we can protect ourselves from our own government IF THAT NEED EVER ARISES.

Do you think they gave us that right so we can hunt deer?

Originally posted by Joe Cole:

With all the folks here saying that they know someone who died at the hands of a gunman....it really shocked me. That many?

wow.. is incredible to read how many of you have lost loved ones and friends... and know of people being shot.

I live in Sydney Australia, and try as i might, i cant think of anyone i know or know of who has been shot. sure we see it on the news very rarely here... but the environment is very different in Aus.

I dont know if i can pinpoint why that is...

U.S. core values are the Protestant Work Ethic- (manifest destiny is a part of that ideology), and "rugged individualism." Combine that with our stratified (though not riggedly so) society which has loads of regulations which protect and promote corporations rather than communities, families or individuals- in fact until very recently our society has treated young men as dispensible.. now we treat young women that way as well.

You do the hokey- pokey

and you turn yourself around

That's what it's all about!

Originally posted by TheWewus:

I'd like to point out again, one of the main reasons our Constitution guarantees us the right to bear arms is so we can protect ourselves from our own government IF THAT NEED EVER ARISES.

Do you think they gave us that right so we can hunt deer?

Wow. Sad, sad commentary on the state of democracy.
There is no substitute.

Archived