Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Online mastering?

I want to get mastering done and have researched a bit to find that there are some studios where you can master online. There are a few of these dotted around, the most appealing ones at face value are Sterling Sound in New York and Emasters.co.uk due to their past work that they've done and the experience of their engineers.

Anyway has anyone used online mastering and if so, is it worth a go?

Cheers,

Roy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMHO if you really care about your music you'll find a way to attend the mastering session. Otherwise you're leaving the fate of your mastering (and potentially some major decisions about segue, fade i/o and final eq and volume) to someone who knows nothing about your music.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Experienced mastering engineers pull it off daily with 100% client satisfaction. I would say 90% of my business is unattended. At the risk of spamming, lets just say this:

Most mastering engineers will do a track..or part of a track pro bono for you to see if they have the goods you are seeking.

http://www.audioseek.com/users/bill/bill.htm

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Your files should be fine - Do be cautious choosing a facility though - There are a lot of hacks out there... Phony photos, gear lists, client lists (you might notice that I have some experience being plagiarized more than a few times, eh?)...

Use common sense, check references, etc. Attended or not, you're hiring someone. Hire someone you're "on the same page" with.

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

My server on cable runs around 500kbs on upload. D load is 10X that speed. PM me or email if you want me to do an example track for you.

In mastering, the head and tail edits (spacing between each tune) is a vibe usually. Some songs get 90 frames, others may get up to 145 frames. If you do not want the mastering engineer to establish your fades and / or spacing, you should have this prepared or otherwise give an absolute time sheet with the project.

I actually have a few clients that want "me" to establish the actual order of the songs. Do detailed documentation with your original masters exactly how you plan them.

Originally posted by Roy Chubby Brown:

Cool, I am glad that the files will stay the same - people say not to compress the files so I won't be sending MP3's as long as my computer can upload a big file in less than an hour!

Yeah... mp3s, ogg, WMA, and AAC are great for distributing media where ultimate quality is secondary to distribution/transmission concerns.

But you don't want to compromise your master just to save a little up/down load time.

I just read about this service earlier today in another thread here:

http://www.yousendit.com

[PS... the front page seems a little slow loading sometimes.]

I've only outsourced mastering once and it was online. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I used DRT Mastering and was happy with the result. I communicated via e-mail and Mr. David R. Torrey (DRT) was very professional and friendly to deal with. I uploaded my files to his secure FTP and I was also able to grab the completed work that way (in addition to the glass master he mailed me). He did offer to do one sample song for $40 and if you go with his service, the $40 was applied to the total service fee. I did that and ended up having him do an entire album. If I remember correctly, he offers up to 3 minor edits at no extra charge. He offers different levels of service at different price points. I went with his lowest end offering and was very happy with the work. He's been running ads in the back of EQ magazine if that's worth anything to you.

He also introduced me to Monkey\'s Audio which is a lossless (no affect on audio quality) compression utility and it basically shrunk my WAV files to about half the original size. Note that the receiver must also have Monkey's Audio to decompress the file back to the original format.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I see RCB, you are not accepting Private messages. That's cool...but you may consider doing so to have a vast array of choices ava. to you to consider.

I wish you well and let me know if I can help in any way. I have time off until the 5th July, then pretty solid until March 06.

Originally posted by where02190:

Uploading 24 bit wav files for an entire CD will take some time. OIvernighting them on disc is only a few bucks, and worth every penny IMHO.

Don't people use some sort of zipped stuff for these files? In either case, it might be advantageous if you have digital cable and can somehow batch-load the thing up to a web site where the mastering engineer can use FTP to grab 'em. Just let your computer go for a few hours or whatever while you go to sleep. :D

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Originally posted by where02190:

Uploading 24 bit wav files for an entire CD will take some time. OIvernighting them on disc is only a few bucks, and worth every penny IMHO.

Don't people use some sort of zipped stuff for these files? In either case, it might be advantageous if you have digital cable and can somehow batch-load the thing up to a web site where the mastering engineer can use FTP to grab 'em. Just let your computer go for a few hours or whatever while you go to sleep. :D
I don't believe normal zip apps like WinZip can zip audio files to 50% of original.

It will take time to upload a whole album's worth - unless you did it from work and work had a T3 connection to the Internet. ;)

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

This is what I get on speed here.

Upload= 5 megs/Min or 50 megs= 10 mins or 24/44.1 for a 5 min track = about 17 mins.

Download 50 meg/min or 5 min track of 24/44.1K about 1 min 40 seconds.

Upload full album last night (not zipped nor compressed) 2hrs 10 mins.

Download of the same is 16 mins.

Total time up and download is less than 3 hours.

This is not a problem.

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

Total time up and download is less than 3 hours.

This is not a problem.

That's not bad. Press "upload" and then go watch a rented movie. Bang. Done.

Archived