Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Teach-yourself-an-instrument software?

I have a friend wanting to learn an instrument (hasn't decided which yet) - are there any cool software apps out there that do that? (Mac preferred)

Thanks heaps :thu:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think software by itself can do it all. Software and a teacher, yes.

I've seen some keyboard software that claims to take you from beginner to whatever, but I've never tried it (search the internet man).

For guitar an interesting combination exists:

Optek Music

but none of the software is Mac.

I've been pioneering the use of online lessons, for a couple years now. I include text, video and mp3s, and sell them for $25 each. When I receive payment either via PayPal or check, I send a password that the student uses to download the lesson. Works just like a website that they dl and use from their hard drive.

Now, this is for Tuvan throat-singing, and there are literally no other teachers in most of the world, unlike, say, guitar or clarinet. It's not as good as face-to-face with a teacher, but still fun and useful. I've also been developing a similar course for didjeridoo, with a friend teaching (he's a much better player than me).

I also tried realtime lessons using videoconferencing software, but it was less than satisfying... maybe the technology will be better in another year or so.

Google for 'midi piano tutor' - - it returned about 56000 hits.

Midi teaching software is good because it allows the PC to measure your progress & spoon feed new lessons to you at the proper rate. Of course, a MIDI instrument is required... but every plan has some drawback.

Archived