Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Record Producer from Dimension X"

Hi, up until now I've just lurked occasionally, but I thought people might get a kick out of this.

I've written a novel called "Record Producer from Dimension X." It's a satire of the music business. There are so many things to make fun of that it practically wrote itself. :D

I've made a website for it. I'm going to post 3 chapters a week, so I can get comments & criticism and see if it generates any buzz. I don't know if it's publishable, so for now it's just for fun.

Here's the website: Record Producer from Dimension X

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, welcome aboard!

As you say, there's plenty of material out there: stuff stranger than fiction...Lots of possibilities.

I'm also trying a hand at writing (screenplays,) and I must say, posting your unpublished material makes me nervous. Sure, your work is supposedly copyrighted the second it flies from your fingers to the keyboard, but I'm worried about plagiarism/theft. And what about people who give you feedback or give you some of their ideas? Will they come back and demand a percentage as a co-author if your idea takes off?

ANYWAY, let's not be all doom-and-gloom here: I read your first chapter, and it looks like it has some potential. I'd read further, but it would take away from my own writing!

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Originally posted by TheFunkman:

[QB]

As you say, there's plenty of material out there: stuff stranger than fiction...Lots of possibilities.

You got that right. The weirdest stuff in the novel is semi-factual. The music business is so absurd that you can't satirize it. :D

posting your unpublished material makes me nervous. Sure, your work is supposedly copyrighted the second it flies from your fingers to the keyboard, but I'm worried about plagiarism/theft. And what about people who give you feedback or give you some of their ideas? Will they come back and demand a percentage as a co-author if your idea takes off?
I borrowed a few "inside jokes" from another forum, like the NibNob thing, but I got permission from the originators. I'll be careful about that.

Ironically enough, it's already been plagarized. Some troll re-wrote it the first chapter with Russian characters and posted it on another forum without attribution. I had the mod delete it, then I decided to yank the guy's chain by putting it on my website here.

Originally posted by Fenris:

Hi, up until now I've just lurked occasionally, but I thought people might get a kick out of this.

I've written a novel called "Record Producer from Dimension X." It's a satire of the music business. There are so many things to make fun of that it practically wrote itself. :D

I've made a website for it. I'm going to post 3 chapters a week, so I can get comments & criticism and see if it generates any buzz. I don't know if it's publishable, so for now it's just for fun.

Here's the website: Record Producer from Dimension X

Price-less

Scotty rubbed his eyes. But when he opened them, Jasmine was till there.
This riff was copied nearly note for note.

This time, Scotty let the song play all the way through...She finished the song a full minute before the rest of the instruments...
Damn! She sounds like my drummer!

Archived