Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ephemeral films on music technology

Here's a treat if you are able to download big files.

Enjoy!

Command Performance (1942)

How shellac records were produced and manufactured.

Sound and the Story

How were those old vinyl records made? Here's the answer! So many steps! So complicated!

How to Listen To... New Dimensions in Sound (1957)

Demonstration of the latest audio technology: stereo sound.

Living Stereo (1958)

Introducing stereophonic phonograph records.

All of the above are part of the Prelinger Archives, this goldmine contains almost 2000 ephemeral films:

http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

(at the same web site, you can also find a lot of other intresting material - all free and legal to download!)

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Archive.org, the host of those vids!

I mean... I can even visit my old websites from, like, 7 years ago. It's a magic place where the timeline gets nice and blurry for a few moments...

I've DL'd a few classic videos from there, including DOA and Reefer Madness.

It's a great world when everyone can have their own, free, legit of Reefer Madness.

Absolutely... I just saw it a week ago, though. :rolleyes: Ah, well, at least I know it's there waiting for me! ;)

Uh, oh... here's one I hope I don't have any good reasons to check out soon... though I can feel its siren call: VD Is for Everybody .

"It\'s an easy thing to write a song about love. It\'s hard to write a song about spark plugs."

Aside from the frightening costumes and overly-staged dance routines about buying Chevrolets, the women popping out of the map HAS to be one of the most disturbing images I have ever seen in a musical. This makes "Cats" look like Masterpiece Theatre!!!! Overly-stagey-operatic voices telling you to market people on farms galore. Not to be missed!!!!!!!!
This is one of the most wrong things I have ever seen.

The video takes the viewer on a whirlwind adventure across the United States, depicting various appetizing markets and how to sell to them. From the opening chorus number "We're Your Market" to the various U.S. sales regions popping up like gophers from the map and singing solos, this legendary work of the stage will leave you breathless.

After, of course, rolling on the floor clutching yourself in hysterical laughter, screaming "NO! NO! MAKE IT STOP, PLEASE! AHAHAHAA!"

This musical will help you realize why people thought the original live-action Batman & Robin was so spiffy and swell.

Dinner Party (1945)

Dramatized presentation of proper table etiquette for teenagers, heavy on criticism and guilt.

This is one of those "must see" films at Prelinger as it is one of the wierder films here. Esentily it shows a group of friends having a dinner party, however what should be a lesson in basic table manners is turned into an expierience in Paranoia by the one uninvited guest, the Narator. The Narator in this film finds room to critisize about every little thing that happens at the party, he adds a level of tension that is almost unheard of for a dinner "Betty wonders if sh should try Floyd's method of eating the olive" "Should Bob be giving the girls smaller portions" "Bob sat on his Napkin" "Betty wonders if she's giving too small a serving of salad" the Narattor never really answers the questions he asks but we presume that everthing he states should be done untill he mentions "it's important to note all the things done right at this dinner" although he never mentions what these are. The best part though is how the Narrator stresses that "Rules make sense"(I'm paraphrasing here) before mediling over the way Betty eats an olive. One thing I should point out. time has not been kind to this film and it is missing a couple frames here and thier, so be forwarned. Actually though that just adds to it's quirkiness.
-------------------

Habit Patterns (1954)

I love this movie. I like to imagine that Barbara is Sylvia Plath as a young girl, about to attempt suicide under her back porch because she cannot abide the rules of society that the unseen, bitch-goddess narrator attempts to hammer into her young brain, unaware that negative "habit patterns" can't be cured by "resting the fabric" of your dresses at night, but may have deep psychological roots and be reactions to bigger problems at home. This is high camp now, especially because it exposes an upper-middle class segment of society not prone to making such documents about itself, and also because the nightmare narrator berating our hapless heroine throughout gives one a chilling sense of how unforgiving that world is. The cinematography is interesting, too; it insists that we're watching a great tragedy.
-----------------

Office Courtesy: Meeting the Public (1952)

Being Good at a Job that Goes Nowhere

A very bizarre technicolor EB production about good secretaries vs bad secretaries. 'Ruth' decides to quit her job because the people there are so hard to deal with. Her Roommate (sister? Lover?) tells her to think about it and they'll talk about it after dinner. Ruth agrees to this and sits on a chair and almost instantly falls asleep. She has a dream where both Rush and Dorothy are in an office with a very rude secretary who doesnt answer the phone, is rude to people wanting to see the boss, and keeps people waiting. Ruth just can't take this anymore and approaches the lady to realize, (oh the shock!) that it's herself! Snapping out of the dream, she dedicates herself to making herself more friendlier and a much more people-person.

Rather unattractive lead actress, loopy situations and beautiful color makes this of course a MUST SEE on this site!

Archived