Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please point me to one of Bruce's sonic landscapes

Hey all

Having read much from and about our forum friend Bruce S. I must honestly admit that I haven't heard much of his work, at least not that I know of.

Maybe I've heard a lot on the radio without knowing it was recorded and mixed bij Bruce.

So, my question is: can you point me to a recording from which you find it's one of his most beautiful 'sonic landscapes'?

Thanks a lot! :thu:

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The choir in "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson sound awesome. Really, all of the Michael Jackson stuff sounds really great. I like all the grooves, placement, arrangement, and choir stuff that are on MJs stuff, especially "Off the Wall" through "Dangerous". After that, I'm not so familiar with the material although I am confident that it is still impeccably recorded. I know saying "Michael Jackson" is a really obvious thing to say since it's so high-profile, but it really does sound awesome. What of course helps is that there are stellar musicians playing on that stuff, and when you have musicians that good, you are already more than half way there, knowhattamean?

Quincy Jones' Back on the Block - the whole album is amazingly beatiful.

(Especially "Secret Garden" and "Places you Find Love". "Birdland" and it's intro "Jazz Corner of the World" isn't too shabby either...and on and on...)

:thu::thu:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

My favorites, "Smile", "Earthsong", "Have you seen my childhood" and maybe "Stranger in Moscow" off MJ's History album, "jam" off of MJ's Dangerous, "Human Nature" on MJ's Thriller. "Secret Garden" from Quincy's Back on the Block. "Do Nothin till you Hear from Me" "Grace" and "Slow Jams" off Q's Jook Joint. But make sure you get the original pressing as "Slow Jams" was remixed without Bruce and the new version sounds like crap. "Have You seen Her" by the Chi Lites is always a standout.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, acouple of years back I was at a friend's mastering house where he had a 'masterclass' for a group of SAE students.

In the end we listened to a number of productions, most of it was top 40 hits of well known bands.

We listened on the same monitors that Bruce has in his studio, Westlakes with that foam around them, powered by Bryston amps.

It was easy to hear the weaknesses and flaws in the sound and my friend pointed the group to it.

In the end he said something like: and now I'll play a production which is one of the best I've heard so far and it was a Michael Jackson song, I don't remember wich one, but the sound was gorgeous.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by robmix:

But make sure you get the original pressing as "Slow Jams" was remixed without Bruce and the new version sounds like crap.

How can they do such a thing, morons!

I can't believe it, sheesh

:(

Originally posted by sign:

But make sure you get the original pressing as "Slow Jams" was remixed without Bruce and the new version sounds like crap.

How can they do such a thing, morons!

I can't believe it, sheesh

:(

Pretty funny actually, SWV sang the female vox originally but their record company and management wouldn't let the song be released as a single so the vocal was replaced with Tamia if I recall correctly. So rather than recall Bruce's mix and insert the new vocal the engineer on the session thought he could do a better mix. Well, SWV are no longer in the limelight and neither is that engineer. . . . .

Rob Hoffman

Los Angeles, CA

Was Bruce in on the Pawnbroker recording?

I think that's where I first really thought of QJ as someone other than just another bandleader.*

I'm listening to the Pawnbroker theme,now, which is amazingly lush, but it looks like someone gave in to the perceived market need to create a stereo mix of sessions that clearly were not meant for that format. (Orchestra completely on one channel. Singer in the middle and a harp on the far right.)

Maybe I'll go see if it says on IMDB.

[ADDENDUM: Whoa! :eek: Guess I won't... the professional/craft credits on IMBD are now pay-for! Dang.]

* You have to realize I was in junior high, OK? It wasn't like I was reading Downbeat religiously. (I'd pick it up in the library at my HS, though, a year or two later. That and a little mag called Modern Organ that evolved into Electronic Musician.)

PS... The Pawnbroker soundtrack is one hip affair, whoever was behind the board. Once past the early 60's theme song, we get into some very sharp and often lush big band, sometimes with some provocative touches like an extremely provocative (and very high) organ harmony in the end-title. The dialog drops from the movie in one track took me back, though... jarred me right out of my mid-afternoon reverie. Ah... but it's also got the soothing-though-haunting Astrud Gilberto's Who Needs Forever? Who, indeed?

Pretty funny actually, SWV sang the female vox originally but their record company and management wouldn't let the song be released as a single so the vocal was replaced with Tamia if I recall correctly. So rather than recall Bruce's mix and insert the new vocal the engineer on the session thought he could do a better mix. Well, SWV have fallen from the face of the earth and so has that engineer. . . . .

That's real interesting. As far as I know the engineer was Larry Funk. SWV is the brainchild (and I swear sometimes I think the voices of) Brian Morgan. I believe they both still live here in Sacramento. Larry has been his engineer since the beginning and before of SWV. Brian sang on some tunes of mine a few years ago and before SWV. His voice sounds dead on, except lower. Obviously I haven't paid any attention because I didn't know Bruce mixed them.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by henryrobinett:

[qb] That's real interesting. As far as I know the engineer was Larry Funk. SWV is the brainchild (and I swear sometimes I think the voices of) Brian Morgan. I believe they both still live here in Sacramento. Larry has been his engineer since the beginning and before of SWV. Brian sang on some tunes of mine a few years ago and before SWV. His voice sounds dead on, except lower. Obviously I haven't paid any attention because I didn't know Bruce mixed them.

Wrong record Henry. I'm talking about the track "Slow Jams" on Quincy's record "Q's Jook Joint". Larry was not the engineer on that track.

Rob Hoffman

Los Angeles, CA

No, no. I know that. I mean what do you mean in your post:
Pretty funny actually, SWV sang the female vox originally but their record company and management wouldn't let the song be released as a single so the vocal was replaced with Tamia if I recall correctly. So rather than recall Bruce's mix and insert the new vocal the engineer on the session thought he could do a better mix. Well, SWV are no longer in the limelight and neither is that engineer. .
That IS who you are talking about, yes? Sorry. I'm a little dense today.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

robmix sez---->"Have You seen Her" by the Chi Lites is always a standout.

another bruce sez--->wow, brucie. that's such a beautiful track. i've heard it through nice speakers and through a cheap am radio, and the soul *always* shines through. kudos to you, sir!

bruce.

Prozak for Lovers II -- even more trouble than the first.

You people are very kind.......

By the way, I prefer to call my recordings "Sonic Sculptures"!!!

Just for the fun of it, check out Jennifer Lopez's new album "Rebirth". Play cut #2 - "Step Into My World". See if you hear something subtle, but truly unique as part of my mix.... Listen to it at 90 spl, on really good speakers, in a good room.

Brucie the Viking!!!!!!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Don't just listen to Joni (what a soulful voice she has developed) on Gershwin's World. This album is filled with sonic sculptures, especially the percussion tracks. Talk about dynamics! Stevie Wonder and Chick Corea also shine on this album.

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

KB Gunn sez-------->Don't just listen to Joni (what a soulful voice she has developed) on Gershwin's World. This album is filled with sonic sculptures, especially the percussion tracks. Talk about dynamics! Stevie Wonder and Chick Corea also shine on this album.

Brucie sez---------->And not lick of limiting or compression anywhere!!!!(Perhaps a squirt of compression during the mastering....)

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

You people are very kind.......

By the way, I prefer to call my recordings "Sonic Sculptures"!!!

Just for the fun of it, check out Jennifer Lopez's new album "Rebirth". Play cut #2 - "Step Into My World". See if you hear something subtle, but truly unique as part of my mix.... Listen to it at 90 spl, on really good speakers, in a good room.

Brucie the Viking!!!!!!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

How much compression did you used on this track ?

Ambroise asks-------->How much compression did you used on this track ?

Brucie answers-------->Not any more than I would normally. They squashed the livin' pee out of it in mastering.

I'm not invited to the mastering sessions. I'm sure they are afraid I will want to make it sound great and not just extra LOUD!!! Besides, I don't think they could identify "Great" sound if it came in wearing RED UNDERWEAR!

I also have a reputation as a budget buster!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Brucie answers-------->Not any more than I would normally. They squashed the livin' pee out of it in mastering.

I'm not invited to the mastering sessions. I'm sure they are afraid I will want to make it sound great and not just extra LOUD!!! Besides, I don't think they could identify "Great" sound if it came in wearing RED UNDERWEAR!

I also have a reputation as a budget buster!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

That's to bad Bruce, people squashing your sound, it happens all the time. But I see something that makes me a lot happier lately, look at THIS THREAD

Can you tell which sounds are compressed and which ones are not ? Do you use parallel compression as some other engieneers does ?

Don't you think that some genre of music like rock or hip hop benefit from a bit to a lot of compression ?

Archived