Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i hate not knowing what song i want.....I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!

so there are a couple songs on the radio i cannot identify for the life of me. its a local college radio station, relatively high-power (covers a big distance) and they dont have accurate playlists.

my only hope is to wait until next tuesday from 8-11pm and call the dj and ask him what he played last week at 10.47pm. alas, the phone number is nowhere to be found in the phone book and is only available online (no internet at my home).

this has happened a few times before, where i hear a wonderful song on the radio, with no idea what or who it is and then it dissapears off the face of the earth and i never hear it again. i really hate this problem.

AND if i try and describe the song, it sounds like every other song. example:

the current song that i cannot figure out is best described in this way,

guitars, bass, drums. female vocals with interesting harmony in places, sometimes octaves, somtimes not.

unique tom fills in the "b" sections.

some kind of lyric "morning light" in the chorus.

pretty vague eh? thats as good as i can describe it.

all my google searches have been fruitless and i have put in about 4 hours in searching for this song. i have heard it twice, and NEVER on a clearchannel station.

AAAARGHHHH.

there are two more songs i cannot identify and fear i will lose them forever.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, that's a pretty good description, particularly if the guy or gal in the record store is a musician.

We have a really good little record store not far from my house. Until last year the keyboardist for a very popular neo-progressive band worked there and one of the top underground DJ/producers in LA still works there. (Although he just accompanied the aforementioned neo-prog band on the European leg of their current world tour.)

I've walked in saying things like, "Do you know that song that goes chunk, chunk, and then has a whiny voiced guy or gal singing a bunch of nonsense that you can't make out..." and walked out with the right record.

But, in their case, they have a tight relationship with a some of the main college stations around the area, co-promotions with one or two, so they're usually pretty on top of what's going on on them.

Our jazz station -- KKJZ ("K-Jazz"... [sigh] ) -- has an online playlist that works really well. Not only can you see more or less what's playing now, you can look back across previous lists. ( www.kkjz.org ).

billster - if thats not the band then they sound very much alike. i couldnt listen to the website you linked because i am at work, have no quicktime (xp), and lack privileges to install it.

i went to myspace and they have 3 songs up, none of which are my song but the band sounds close.

(it might be the right band)

Originally posted by not Cereal:

billster - if thats not the band then they sound very much alike. i couldnt listen to the website you linked because i am at work, have no quicktime (xp), and lack privileges to install it.

i went to myspace and they have 3 songs up, none of which are my song but the band sounds close.

(it might be the right band)

That act is getting some heavy play on college radio here - during the "international" show, and a lounge/electronica show. Good pop IMO.

i find it interesting that i could describe a tv show i saw to someone in great detail, they could figure out what it was easily without knowing anything about tv production.

but music, its hard to talk about a song in order to identify it even knowing musical language and production. usually when i ask someone these questions in person they say "ha! thats every song!"

and often they are right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I FOUND IT!!!! it took about 7 weeks of searching hundreds and hundreds of web sites. i have no idea of how many hours i have in this GRRRRRRRR.

BUT I FOUND IT.

BTW its an awesome AWESOME song, and im not telling what it is.

LOL

no its a band i had never heard of before.

its a secret because i'm being a jerk.

i guess i really kept up on this one because i have heard so many other great songs in the past that i never figured out what they were, they went off the air and i lost them forever. i didnt want that to happen again.

i did just lose ttwo others that i cant remember how they went anymore. gone. nada. no ideas.

too bad dj's dont say WHAT THE FRICKEN SONG IS EVER. and then drop it from play.

i always know if a song or tv show will go off the air shortly. if i REALLY like it, its gone quick without a trace.

except the simpsons. thats one i like and its still on the air.

There is a special place in hell for radio people that play cool songs, don't say who the fuck it's by or anything, and never play the song again.

I'd like to think that the responsible parties will be sentenced to eternity in a mosquito-infested muskeg bog listening to eternal reruns of "Seasons in the Sun" played through a car stereo with VERY loud subs.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by not Cereal:

no, it should be deep south alabama mustang sally brown pie eyed girl. with ac/dc riffs.

And Billster..."Baby, I love your freebird"

Problem is, the guilty parties would probably actually ENJOY that... (shakes head sadly)...

HOLY SHIT! That's my son playing drums!!

Well, not really, but the resemblence is freaking uncanny...my son Andrew is a drummer, too...and he looks almost just like that guy on drums. Bizarre...I've got to show him that clip...

My son's band (Andrew is on the far right)...

http://n2.umicache.com/p/purevolume.com/big/-923-1112084011-ivysreach_014.jpg

COOL SONG, thanks Coaster, for turning me on to that. I'd be in love with all those girls if they weren't young enough to be my daughters.

Archived