Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...And here's why radio sucks: Check out these internal memos

Whoa...I don't think I'm going to get in trouble for this, but here are some memos you might find interesting. I got them from another source who I don't want to get into trouble ...but if he/she wants credit, just let me know.

The words speak for themselves.

---------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 12:30 PM

Hey everyone,

As you may have noticed, we have been much more conservative with adds/rotations lately. I am attaching an email from Dan that explains our current situation. I hope it answers any questions that you may have. Please continue to give us info on your songs, as it's more important than ever that we identify and play HITS.....and nothing but hits.

Sheryl Stewart

Music Director

KRSK

>>> Dan Persigehl 06/03/05 3:39 PM >>>

Sheryl,

Feel free to forward this on to our friends at the labels.....

Due to the obvious weakened state of the Hot A/C format as a whole, significant change in the competitive environment locally, and notification of our 3rd weak month in a row (1st time since 2002) in the most recent arbitron data, i'm imposing an immediate minor shift in our current music strategy....

#1 a temporary hold on all new adds

#2 dayparting/resting new music we don't have existing promotional commitments to.

The bottom line is, we simply need to be more familiar, and offer a wider variety of familiar music. We need not concern ourselves with "leading the pack" on new music going forward. The challenge will be using our subjective internal opinions, along with monitoring meaningful mediabase stations in the format and local airplay to determine adds/re-adds for the time being. There won't be a specific "litmus test" to determine how we make new music decisions. This is something we'll continue to gauge over the next few months until the market shakes out and we get a viable read on the competitive landscape. This company is expecting this station to be the largest biller in the cluster this year. I intend to deliver on that. thanks!!!

Dan Persigehl

Program Director

"105.1 The Buzz"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On demand streaming works for me. I'm listening to what I want. Bebel Gilberto right now. Her ol' man a half hour ago. The Drifters before that, Mars Volta before that, Cal Tjader, Blackalicious, Elliot Smith...

Try to get a mix like that on Jack FM, pardner...

;)

Just from the tenor of those memos, if anyone had any doubts, it should now be clear that no one in radio has the least interest in music.

And I don't see why anyone should expect satellite radio to follow a course significantly different from the one FM radio took 30 years ago.

I haven't thought enough about podcasting yet to have formed an opinion about where that might wind up, but right now, that's what I listen to, even more than internet radio, 'cuz I can play it in the van, in the backyard, anywhere. And hear the whole show, on my schedule.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

First of all, I have never seen memo's written as "adds" as it has always been ADV.

Secondly, I bet Scopes will call it a hoax before long.

Third, these memo's are given around a wooden table in the form of the spoken word and it is verbotten to provide them in print.

Fourth, if newbees and those who have no clue how the business really works would print anything to be published on the web, their axe will be in the mailbox pronto.

Sure...Sure the radio stations work on ratings and payola. Always have, always will.

I think the "memo" is a bunch of horse-pucky myself..designed to bamboozle others.

Don't you believe that it is an actual memo...but if it was, heads will roll..and soon.

Craig, if you have absolute inside information, I stand corrected.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

That memo is indicative that there is little new music getting out that people are excited about.

Major label presidents were telling me this years ago: They are simply no longer in a position to find and develop important new talent.

from that memo:

Sheryl,

Feel free to forward this on to our friends at the labels....

They're putting the labels on notice that they're not delivering the goods.

Don't blame the radio affiliates for that stance. It's business, and it's true, like it or not. People need a reason to listen to radio, and it's not just to listen to commercials.

There's got to be exciting new music by exciting new artists in the mix with the commercials. Take that element away, and the radio affiliates will be ducking for cover, of course, as they are, as they should be. As that memo indicates.

It tells you that there are opportunities for anyone who has a recording studio and some production skills: Find those important new artists, and get them to market, because there is a real and huge void in this industry right now for that role.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

I have a hunch that the "Jack" formats popping up are a direct response to major labels cutting back on indie promo $$$. Why risk putting off listeners by testing new releases?

We have an active rock station in our little secondary market...they've cut back their adds to the big obvious ones in their format. I'm sure they miss the $100,000+ a year they used to get from the regional promo guy. No way are they going to break anything new if it doesn't pay the bills.

this house is empty now...

Another huge problem in Radio, and TV also is something called "too much inventory" which means they try to squeeze too many commercials into a given time slot. For instance, a lot of times in the morning I'll listen to The Ace and TJ show on 91.5. As soon as the commercials start I flip to another channel, even if something interesting is going on, because I know there's going to be a full 4 minutes of commercials. This gives me time to listen to a whole song on another station. So I listen to a song, or two, flip back and the show's back on. So.....they're selling more commercials but I would guess, that what they're selling is much less effective. I don't mind listening to a couple of minutes of ads, I know that's how they make money, but over two minutes and I'm outa there.

Interesting. Certainly an illustration of radio sucking, although the "why" isn't that clear. I mean, the station in question has a format that inherently sucks, anyway. "Hot A/C"?!? Disposable pop music for older adults? :bor::bor::bor: But, it also is reflective of the decisions of one guy - the station's PD.

Looking at their playlist, it's mostly the same dreck that our CHR station plays. And yeah, THAT'S a good reason why radio sucks. They all play the same narrow list of label-approved crap, with little variation. Actually, I think it's kind of funny that they believe that they are somehow pushing too much new music, considering that they aren't playing anything you couldn't find in any other city - or even on other stations in Portland.

Still...they wouldn't play it if people didn't listen to it. Musicians have a stronger need for original musical input than the general population, I suspect. People respond to familiarity, and like to sing the songs they know.

Whatchagonna do?

Radio...? :confused:

Oh yeah...I remember now! ;)

I can't remember the last time I turned on a radio!

My removable car antenna is permanently on the floor, under the seat.

Every time I go to the car wash...the guys always find it and put it back on...and as soon as I get home...I unscrew it again!

Radio is just sooooooo boring...unless you catch one of those odd 2 hour shows that slip by once in awhile, where they actually DO play some good music...but then before you know it...it's back to the "HITS"... :bor:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by TheWewus:

I know that's how they make money, but over two minutes and I'm outa there.

Radio and TV were made for advertising. The music is just the filler. But no one wants to listen to commercials all day. So they make people listen by putting in shitty music. You will never hear an advertisment say "oh wait, we are out of time, see you next week!" It's the programs, music, and dj's who are always out of time so the commercials can be played. It's completely backwards.

XM (I just paid in-advance for a year to lock in the old rate) can't stay the same. They, and Sirius, can't figure out a way to turn a profit with a subscription model.

Apparently, two of the three major US car manufacturers (the two that are actually selling cars and not laying off 25k workers...) have signed contracts with WiMax developers, to put broadband internet access in cars.

Bye bye pure-play satellite radio.

I have two XM radios and am dropping the subscription on one. They already dropped some of my favorite stations. Other stations have narrowed the play list. Variety was the big selling point to XM radio. Now they are pushing 50 channels of weather and traffic reports.

Now I find myself using "On Demand" internet service at the office and the Music to Go option when traveling or biking.

The only thing I miss with On Demand service is ESPN radio, and I only listen to that during college basketball season.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I can't remember the last time I listened to commercial radio.

I have a couple of web stations I listen to, one being Accuradio's Twang & Alt Country being two of them. I also get into some great Blues, Contemporary Cajon, Creole and Zydeco music at Alligator.com

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I listen to KROQ in the morning. I think they're really funny and entertaining. The rest of the time, it's CDs unless I am listening to a basketball game or sumpin' and occasionally, college radio (KXLU 88.9 FM in Los Angeles). Radio is so embarrassingly bad in general that it's really hard to get excited about anything on the air anymore, and with this new "Variety Format", it's even worse.

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

First of all, I have never seen memo's written as "adds" as it has always been ADV.

Secondly, I bet Scopes will call it a hoax before long.

Third, these memo's are given around a wooden table in the form of the spoken word and it is verbotten to provide them in print.

Fourth, if newbees and those who have no clue how the business really works would print anything to be published on the web, their axe will be in the mailbox pronto.

Sure...Sure the radio stations work on ratings and payola. Always have, always will.

I think the "memo" is a bunch of horse-pucky myself..designed to bamboozle others.

Don't you believe that it is an actual memo...but if it was, heads will roll..and soon.

Craig, if you have absolute inside information, I stand corrected.

The LA Times has published far more damning internal communications and documents from Clear Channel in the past, presumably thinking it would provoke investigation and prosecution of payola offenses, but the FCC just shrugged.

And, really, when you get down to it, aside from confirming that they play music as a "promotional committment" (surprise, surprse), this communique seems to suggest that the station is at least picking some its own music -- which is extremely rare in any kind of chain...

PBS / college radio is the only stuff I can stand for more than about 90 seconds, generally...

You have to remember, the purpose of broadcast radio has nothing to do with supplying you with music (or entertainment of any kind).

Their purpose is to deliver you to advertisers - - anything that gets in the way of that will inevitably get axed.

You have to remember, the purpose of broadcast radio has nothing to do with supplying you with music (or entertainment of any kind).

Their purpose is to deliver you to advertisers - - anything that gets in the way of that will inevitably get axed.

Almost. IMHO, their purpose is to make as much money as possible, and, not coincidentally, have as much political influence over their listeners as possible. Anything that gets in the way of THAT will inevitably get axed. So if a subscription model showed superior profit, it would get serious attention. Or an internet-access model - whichever 'systems' maximize the two goals above are what drive the train. Right now it's the advertiser/product model

But either way, the results are the same - as are the need for RATINGS. The beancounter mentality is a hive personality, status quo-oriented. No place for change. Paradoxically, it must be number one...

If (when) satellite internet access in the car gets to a price point where a significant number of users are signed up, mainstream industry will have HITS radio for tose that actually LIKE it (they do exist) but once it's the net, underground radio becomes global underground. ANY music style, any time, any where. And for a few bucks a month,k you can put YOUR OWN internet radio station out there.

Then we become 'content providers' instead of 'artists' :D

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Some of my friends sit around every evening

and they worry about the times ahead

But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference

and the promise of an early bed

You either shut up or get cut out

they don't wanna hear about it

It's only inches on the reel-to-reel

And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools

tryin' to anaesthetise the way that you feel

-- Elvis Costello "Radio Radio".

Originally posted by doug osborne:

XM (I just paid in-advance for a year to lock in the old rate) can't stay the same. They, and Sirius, can't figure out a way to turn a profit with a subscription model.

Apparently, two of the three major US car manufacturers (the two that are actually selling cars and not laying off 25k workers...) have signed contracts with WiMax developers, to put broadband internet access in cars.

Bye bye pure-play satellite radio.

The next step is they are now courting Sports,which will raise rates significantly just like cable,even if you don't choose a sports station.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived