Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dress code for an Opera

Man do I need help and now wish I said No to my friend and I wasnt going.

I am going to see an Opera tonight and we have front row tickets shes got for the London Colisium to see the English National Operas 'Jephtha' Firstly, I hate opera and this one runs for 3 hours 10 minutes!

What the hell do I wear? Are these things smart casual or dressy?

Anyone got some advice for me?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D Phait

I just called her and told a little white lie to get out of it and I feel really bad about it to but it had to be done.

I blamed it on Pete :rolleyes: that he was working late so we cant make it in time so now I can go and enjoy my beautiful garden and not worry about dress codes and Who-Ha Henrys going about what is te done thing at an opera :)

Get a nice fancy dress, wear half a white skull mask and laugh maniacally every few minutes. Possibly hang one of the lead cast members. You'll soon get out of it :D

I've never been to an opera (quite a few stage musicals tho). Saw the play with David Schwimmer a few weeks ago, quite enjoyed that (apart from Ross running around stage in his pants, could have lived without that :eek: )

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Yours is always a red X here, which means it's probably on a server that mein commandant employers consider on a dodgy server and are logging everytime I look at a thread you've posted on. Ah well, it's not like I enjoy the job anyway :D

I think Shars has probably disabled all avatars as mine is a bit traumatic for her... ;)

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Nowaday you can wear what ever you like !

The times where a exclusive elite with a dresscode is going to the opera, is over.

Young people attend such events in casual wear. This is specially true for London.

At the same time, you may see some people in designer clothes who celebrate something.

There are some closed events, where i would wear my designer parrot stuff, but not a regular opera, well, i'm a parrot anyway!

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Shars,

Deb and I went to hear the London Symphony while there at the Barbican Center. We dressed up, but there were all sorts of people sporting various attire. I didn't see T-shirts and jeans much, but some folks were quite casual. I would expect the opera to be the same, however...

This is one occasion when you could dress up and have fun doing so. I'd go for a dressier look...I mean, how often does one get to put on airs and look snooty? :D I wouldn't say a formal and a tux for Peter...but dressy. :D

Tell us how it went!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think this is the appropriate attire for a night at the opera...

http://www.heanet.ie/conferences/2003/presentations/Thursday/NorrisWilson_files/images/Image33.png

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived