Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Conecting 2 computers vis ethernet

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you networked now? Connected to the same dsl or cable router? Not connected but in the same room? Across town? Across country? In another country?

If you are connected to the same router, go into each computer and share the desired files.

Then go into My Network, Entire Network and have it search for other computers and other files and folders.

Do that on both machines.

If not connected to the same router you should be able to run cat5 cable between the two ethernet cards and essentially do the same thing with My Network. You may need a special Xover cable for direct connect to the LAN cards though I can't remember.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

You have to establish a network between both computers. Very easy and straightforward with XP:

START/Control Panel/Network Connections/Setup a home of small office network ... follow the wizard and repeat on the 2nd computer. Enable file sharing (right click on the C: drive, Properties/Sharing)

It may take a few minutes for the network to be recognized and for the computers to see each other.

Good luck.

There are basically two ways of doing this. The first way would be to use a cross over CAT 5 cable to connect both computers together. The downside to this is that you have to know a bit about TCP/IP networking since you need to manually assign IP information on both systems. The easier way it to pick up a cheap broadband router and have it assign IP addresses to both systems automatically. You might try doing some google searches on XP networking and file sharing as there are some great resources out there.

Linksys is having a blowout sale on their 802.11b routers: $4.95! :eek: Staples, then Circuit City, then Best Buy had the sale.

Of course, anyone who knows ANYTHING about networking knows that the next big thing is POTS. :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You have to use a crossover cable to go direct from on computer to another without a router.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Duhduh:

You have to use a crossover cable to go direct from on computer to another without a router.

You mean without a hub, right? Don't need a router.
No signature required.

Originally posted by Dylan:

There are basically two ways of doing this. The first way would be to use a cross over CAT 5 cable to connect both computers together. The downside to this is that you have to know a bit about TCP/IP networking since you need to manually assign IP information on both systems.

Not quite sure about that. I have 2 machines connected with a crossover cable and the wizard took care of everything. He's on XP not 98.

Originally posted by RaGe:

There are basically two ways of doing this. The first way would be to use a cross over CAT 5 cable to connect both computers together. The downside to this is that you have to know a bit about TCP/IP networking since you need to manually assign IP information on both systems.

Not quite sure about that. I have 2 machines connected with a crossover cable and the wizard took care of everything. He's on XP not 98.
I haven't ever used the XP wizard, but if it works then that's cool too. I guess I'm just old skool :D .

Originally posted by Wooden:

I have 2 cables, but i dont know if any of them is cross over :( is there a way to know? and yes i want to connect them directly. Thanks to you all.

Yes, you can tell by looking at the pattern of the colors on both sides of the cables. If both ends look the same then it's a standard CAT5 wire.

BTW, the best way to do this is to yank the hard drive out of the 'donor' PC, and slave it to the hard drive on the recipient via the IDE cables. Make sure you move the jumper on the donor hard drive to 'slave', then disconnect your CDROM drive, and connect the donor hard drive.

If your CDROM is on a separate cable from the hard drive, you can simply plug the donor drive directly into either the recipient hard drive cable (via the 2nd connector) or the CDROM cable. Of course, all PC are off until everythgin is connected. The recipient PC should see the donor drive, then just drag and drop to the place you want the files.

I have 2 cables, but i dont know if any of them is cross over :( is there a way to know? and yes i want to connect them directly. Thanks to you all.

Yes, you can tell by looking at the pattern of the colors on both sides of the cables. If both ends look the same then it's a standard CAT5 wire.
Thanks. And crossover is completely inverted? like mirror?

Originally posted by deanmass:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

who knows ANYTHING about networking knows that the next big thing is POTS. :P

LOL

:)

Thank you, Deanmass. I was beginning to think I was invisible again. :rolleyes:
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I haven't ever used the XP wizard, but if it works then that's cool too. I guess I'm just old skool :D .
The wizard works like a charm. I tried many times to do it manually on 98 but it always failed. Call me new school :cool:

RaGe called a wizard "he"...

:eek::D:eek:

Originally posted by deanmass:

who knows ANYTHING about networking knows that the next big thing is POTS. :P

LOL

:)

Thank you, Deanmass. I was beginning to think I was invisible again. :rolleyes:
I remember the first time I got streaming audio over my computer. And then streaming video. Who would have imagined such a thing?

And then the most amazing thing of all: VOIP -- to be able to talk with someone -- across town or around the world -- over a wire!

I mean, really, what could they possibly come up with to top that?

Originally posted by theblue1:

RaGe called a wizard "he"...

:eek::D:eek:

I was reffering to the original poster :cool:

Thanks. And crossover is completely inverted? like mirror?
The lines are not just inverted. They are run in pairs. The pattern will sound a little odd without explaination, but given the industry color standard ...

Normal side-

1 - Orange

2 - White/Orange Stripe

3 - Green

4 - Blue

5 - White/Blue Stripe

6 - White/Green Stripe

7 - Brown

8 - White/ Brown Stripe

Inverted Side -

1 - Green

2 - White/Green Stripe

3 - Orange

4 - Brown

5 - White/Brown Stripe

6 - White/Orange Stripe

7 - Blue

8 - White/Blue Stripe

If you hold the cable so that the pins are facing you and the cable is pointing down, Pin 1 is on the left.

The main pairs to watch are 1/2 (Orange) & 3/6 (Green). They are the *Send* & *Receive* pairs. Depending on your cables and who made them the other two pairs could be missing, or not even flipped.

I like the idea of hosting the drive inthe new PC. You can use a USB HDD case, for about $40, to do this. But, if you are not comfortable with taking your computer apart, the network cable way is easiest. If you have a Cable/DSL router (as mentioned by others) this process would be very easy.

Let us know how you did!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

• 1 month later...

Depends how old the computer's ethernet nodes are, but you may not need a crossover cable at all. Most new ethernet nodes have automatic link polarity sensing and crossover sensing circuitry built into them, so it really doesn't matter if you have a straight or crossover cable, or if any of the twisted pairs are polarity swapped.

Just make sure when you plug in the ethernet cable between the computers that the LINK light comes on at both ends. If you get two greens, then you are good to go.

Like Dak says, you have to enable file sharing and actually make the disk and/or folders that you want to share "shared".

The other thing to check is that the two computers both have the same workgroup. Go to the system control panel on each and click on the "Computer Name" tab. Then check that the "Workgroup" is the same for both machines. If it isn't, click on the "Change..." button on one of them and adjust the workgroup name so that it's the same as the other computer. Then, reboot the computer you just changed.

Good luck.

:DTR

Thanks to all. I needed the crossover cable until i got one i saw the two computer appear in the system tray, and that says that the connection has been recognized right? I have shared the entire c drive, and the workgroup is the same... any other thing? thanks :(

Thanks to all. I needed the crossover cable until i got one i saw the two computer appear in the system tray, and that says that the connection has been recognized right? I have shared the entire c drive, and the workgroup is the same... any other thing? thanks :(

Make sure you are running a software firewall (such as Zonealarm) if you connect to the internet with your whole drive shared. Otherwise everyone in the world might be able to access your C: drive.

Another option is to set the sharing permissions for C: to full access for "Authenticated Users", then remove "Everyone" from the access list.

Archived