Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling it Quits.

I was reading on another forum, there was this guy selling all his stuff. Said "The music industry sucks!" He's quitting.

Personally i hope a whole bunch of people quit.

Seriously, one whole hell of alot of the people in the industry should just wake the fuck up to the fact that the music industry sucks and that it is not lucrative and that they will NEVER be a beatle or reasonable facsimile and just get the fuck out of it altogether.

Then, there would be alot more room for us people who are really interested in making good, interesting music and doing it with some integrity.

It ain't guys/gals with the intention to and goal to create good music that fucked it all up.

Maby everyone involved in music should take a couple minutes to re-evaluate their reason for being involved in it.

Here are some facts to reflect on while you do this..

-The music industry truly does suck.

Like seriously. It is stupid.

If it were another industry that was not fueled so much by egos it probably would have died years ago.

It's just a fucking mess.

You'll probably NEVER make any decent money in it unless you work WAYYY harder than any other profession.

No one in their right mind would knowingly enter into such a stupid industry.

-As an artist, you get nothing but shit on from day one at your first bar gig on up. And at that point after you have collected your 50 bucks for 4 hours work you might take out your calculator and add up all the time it took you to learn your instrument.

-No matter what your job ends up being you mostly have to listen to shitty music all the time unless you are Bruce frikkin Swedien or someone. ;)

-Gear costs lots and musicians have no money.

-Almost Everyone is trying to be someone else artistically and most people are blatantly under the ridiculous spell of the media and majors as to what sounds and looks good and it ain't gonna change anytime soon cause PEOPLE WATCH TOO MUCH FUCKING TELEVISION. :wave:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should check out the discussion we have been having about live music here.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/024910.html

Honestly, when I look around at the music scene where I live, here in Des Moines, it's thriving! Maybe Des Moines is an anomoly.

I don't think music has ever been a reliable source of income. I originaly came to this forum after reading Craig Anderton's books on Musical Electronics. Now I'm in the middle of studying electronics at my local community college. If I don't make money in music I can just work in other things in the electronics field.

I think that it's important to be in music because you love music. But like any love, you can also really get your heart broken.

I'm glad you posted this thread. It's good to show your real feelings.

It is ALL about Love. Love is tough and love hurts. Love can also be a beautiful thing. It all depends on how bright your mirror is.

Towel throwers, don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

So true halljams! I laughed my ass off at your post - that is, once I found out it wasn't about YOU calling it quits.

Yeah maybe it really is a blessing in disguise that the industry sucks so bad. It's a good way to thin the herd. :D

This post makes folks like me- who hold day jobs and pursue our musical obsessions in our spare time - feel not so bad about the path we ended up on.

Ive settled into a mind set that my music making is largely for my own satisfaction and entertainment. Maybe this is how its really meant to be.

Maybe music is kinda like sex-

Anything that can feel this good should not be a business. If you do get into the business you just have to learn to deal with the pimps.

OTOH- there are lots of fields of endeavor for which the business conditions suck.

Music is not alone in this.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by offramp:

Originally posted by Franky:

Maybe Des Moines is an anomoly.

This falls under the category of "conventional wisdom".
Hey, if it weren't for Des Moines the world wouldn't have SLIPKNOT!!!! RAAAWWWWKKK OOOONNNNN FUCKKKERSSSSS!!!!! :thu::D

Seriously, I'm glad I made the conscious decision in 1979 to treat music as a hobby that pays me back, at least a little bit.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

First thing I learned about the music business (or most any business for that matter) is that you can't do it mainly for the money or fame. The minute that's your main goal, it won't happen. If by the luck of the lottery it does, enjoy the ulcers, drug habits, and drama that come with it because you probably asked for it. The people that I know that are the most successful in this business love doing what they do and that's what keeps them motivated. None of them are household names, but they're fine with that!

Originally posted by hard truth:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson

I was hoping someone would post that quote. Ahh....I love it!! :thu::thu::thu:

Originally posted by Murphman:

First thing I learned about the music business (or most any business for that matter) is that you can't do it mainly for the money or fame. The minute that's your main goal, it won't happen.

Originally posted by Kendrix:

[QB] This post makes folks like me- who hold day jobs and pursue our musical obsessions in our spare time - feel not so bad about the path we ended up on.

Ive settled into a mind set that my music making is largely for my own satisfaction and entertainment. Maybe this is how its really meant to be.

Yup...me too.

I have a solid, steady and well paying day gig.

ButI also have an extremely beautiful studio that I use primarily for my own projects...

...and occasionally to work on friend's projects.

And even though I gave up that "rock star" dream a long time ago...

I also decided way back then that I would never stop making music...regardless if I ever "made it big" or not.

So now...I still plan on getting my music out from time to time...and hopefully landing some of it "in the right hands"...one of these days...

...but...

...I'm not losing any sleep over it, if I don't "make it big"...

cuz I will always have my studio and be able to make all kinds of music, without any pressures to "succeed" in the biz.

And actuallyhaving removed those pressuresit has freed me up to make exactly the kind of music I desirerather than to worry about pleasing someone else.

My musicmy studio

they are the best therapy that money could buy and the reason why I continue to invest plenty of money each year into my studio

and not just because I am expecting some big payoff when/if my music is ever discovered".

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

OTOH- there are lots of fields of endeavor for which the business conditions suck.

Music is not alone in this.

I agree, but the amount of time and training to even get an entry level position (bar gig for example) in music is absurd for the money you make.

It's self employment for alot of people, their music career that is.

And there is no basic "how to" book that outlines where the priorities should actually fall.

In essence, we are our only commodity, if we are instrumentalists or mix AE's or what ever.

This requires a certain amount of responsibility for and awareness of our own self worth.

I think where a lot people get into trouble is that they think they can get by while neglecting their own musical substance. Forgetting to realize that the basic building blocks of all of this are the things that make music communicate positive, comforting or healing energy from human to human.

How many people have you met or come across that are great promoters of their bands or music but when you hear the stuff you wonder why they don't spend that time they use promoting, writing something someone might be remotely interested in listening to?

Mixed up priorities.

And it makes me wonder if the priorities go that way, if maby these people are the very substance of what needs to be removed from the industry.

Maybe music is kinda like sex-

Anything that can feel this good should not be a business. If you do get into the business you just have to learn to deal with the pimps.

heh heh. I enjoy music more now that I am not trying to live off of it, or be famous for it. Since I quit playing live I find myself avoiding any type of concert. It is an addiction and seeing someone play makes me want to get a band together again.

I think we are heading into good times though. While cookie-cutter bands are still being pushed by the big companies, at no time in history has a band been so empowered. Web sites, cheap CD pressings, companies that will sell your CD's. I wish we had these 20 years ago.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by miroslav:

Originally posted by Murphman:

First thing I learned about the music business (or most any business for that matter) is that you can't do it mainly for the money or fame. The minute that's your main goal, it won't happen.

[QB] This post makes folks like me- who hold day jobs and pursue our musical obsessions in our spare time - feel not so bad about the path we ended up on.

Yup...me too.

I have a solid, steady and well paying day gig.

ButI also have an extremely beautiful studio that I use primarily for my own projects...

...and occasionally to work on friend's projects.

And even though I gave up that "rock star" dream a long time ago...

I also decided way back then that I would never stop making music...regardless if I ever "made it big" or not.

So now...I still plan on getting my music out from time to time...and hopefully landing some of it "in the right hands"...one of these days...

...but...

...I'm not losing any sleep over it, if I don't "make it big"...

cuz I will always have my studio and be able to make all kinds of music, without any pressures to "succeed" in the biz.

And actuallyhaving removed those pressuresit has freed me up to make exactly the kind of music I desirerather than to worry about pleasing someone else.

My musicmy studio

they are the best therapy that money could buy and the reason why I continue to invest plenty of money each year into my studio

and not just because I am expecting some big payoff when/if my music is ever discovered".

Another great thing about your position is that you can write off the $ for the gear buy, even if you make a small amount every year in the studio.

I have so much faith in guys like us.

A whole bunch of us are gonna take the time to create new music that WE think is cool and eventually people will start to hear it, and they will hear the integrity and importance of the art of music again through what we make and the rest will die painful confusing deaths.

Most, i would imagine, will find large cliffs or tall buildings to stumble off of.

But there may also be folks skydiving onto freeways and hopping directly off the front of large fast moving boats with multiblade propellers...

BLACK BEAT DAY(the day the cloud lifted from music like reverse footage of a six mile wide asteriod impacting the earths surface)

Archived