Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IT'S OFFICIAL! Come, my little Mac lovelies, come to the dark side...

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

You can probably get an Athlon 64 3200 and a mobo for around $300 Lee. Check with www.newegg.com :wave:

Oh yeah, there are a ton of options. And yes I buy nearly all my stuff from Newegg. :) Just looking for specific recommendations, best features and reliability for the bucks.
FWIW, take a look at Gigabyte motherboards since most of them feature on-board Firewire. Last time I checked many of the big names mobos (ASUS, Tyan ...) don't offer it standard.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theblue1:

Nothing to do with DRM?

Dude... ever heard of a little venture called iTunes?

DRM made that possible.

I meant implemented into hardware.

Welcome to the future...

... but, seriously, they absolutely need to have a DRM system in place and locked down that will make content providers comfortable if they want to pursue their current strategic plans in the "battle for the living room computer."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/themadcaplaughs/i-snob.gif

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Now, now... folks are traumatized enough, as it is.

Here, they've heard their whole computing lives how evil Intel is and now they're naturally having a bit of, what's the current phrase? Ah, yes, cognitive dissonance...

I don't care what's under the hood as long as it's fast and it runs OSX instead of Winblows.

Intel chips could be great for high end Mac laptops. IBM's failure to deliver a cool running mobile G5 have kept Mac laptops in G4 mode way beyond what should have been a G4 retirement date.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Phait - steabyb is spot on the money. When you hear someone say things like "I'd rather have lived in the 30's (The Depression) and 40's (WW2)", as compared to DRM etc, you know someone has sunk to histrionics.

Truly.

Originally posted by nursers:

Phait - steabyb is spot on the money. When you hear someone say things like "I'd rather have lived in the 30's (The Depression) and 40's (WW2)", as compared to DRM etc, you know someone has sunk to histrionics.

Truly.

Do we need to pull up the "real history" thread and post some quotes from him?

:D:D

Back to Pertinent Thread Business:

In this column in PC Magazine, John C. Dvorak suggests that the Mac OS may smoke Windows in head-to-head comparisons once they share the same CPU platform:

The Mac-Intel Computer, Finally!

Also amusing to note: the lengths to which Dvorak goes to serve up crow to readers who've suggested his head was up where the sun don't shine over the past two years since he's been talking about just such a Mactel machine.

Originally posted by theblue1:

In this column in PC Magazine, John C. Dvorak suggests that the Mac OS may smoke Windows in head-to-head comparisons once they share the same CPU platform:

He doesn't say why though,he just tosses it out.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Phil, it doesn't matter to me if I can disable DRM or not. I don't trust that it is "off". Also, from what I've read once DRM is fully rolled out - if you have it disabled, your OS will only be partially functional. Same with certain software. The internet may or may not even be accesssible. Bullshit like that.

Regarding DRM in the Mac Intels - guys, it is going to happen. The industries and government have much more power to sway tech companies into this. Ideally Apple would say "no" and be different, but they will cave in, because they will *have* to.

And again, totally missing the point - I have nothing against anti-piracy schemes as long as they don't impede totally on my productivity, workflow or use of the OS and software, and this is what DRM is coming to. But that is from a functional standpoint. I am more concerned, as stated before, about the scope of it's use beyond the reasons it is advertised as. It is mangling our rights, simple as that.

Linux is an option for general computing but for me, nothing more. There's other DAW platforms than Mac/Windows? Where? Show me Linux is a serious OS for music production and design. It's not. And by serious I mean robust and reliable tools. I don't want Gimp or Audacity, I want Logic and Photoshop. If I HAD to "downgrade" to some open source, semi-functional app maybe I would. But I don't think Linux has a viable reputation for music production or design. It caters to programmers/developers/web servers and the like. That is where it is most integral as an OS, as far as I see.

Well, with regards to Dvorak and head-to-head tests, I'm figuring we should find out fairly soon. Of course, the first wave will be claims of amazing performance -- but that much is completely predictable. How it actually sorts itself out will be interesting.

Since Apple has plainly said that they'll do nothing to prevent a Mac from running Windows, performance comparisons will be possible in a way that separates hardware from evaluations of the OS and apps running in it.

One possibly deceptive indicator we might have now is typical OS memory footprint, which is, I believe, substantially higher for OS X. Now, that doesn't at all mean that the OS is going to be slower at given jobs than Windows. If more modules are loaded in RAM all the time, it might well speed processes. But it wouldn't seem to argue strongly the inverse... When was the last time something bigger was actually faster? (OK, ships and interplanetary spacecraft don't count.)

Originally posted by Phait:

Phil, it doesn't matter to me if I can disable DRM or not. I don't trust that it is "off". Also, from what I've read once DRM is fully rolled out - if you have it disabled, your OS will only be partially functional. Same with certain software. The internet may or may not even be accesssible. Bullshit like that.

Regarding DRM in the Mac Intels - guys, it is going to happen. The industries and government have much more power to sway tech companies into this. Ideally Apple would say "no" and be different, but they will cave in, because they will *have* to.

And again, totally missing the point - I have nothing against anti-piracy schemes as long as they don't impede totally on my productivity, workflow or use of the OS and software, and this is what DRM is coming to. But that is from a functional standpoint. I am more concerned, as stated before, about the scope of it's use beyond the reasons it is advertised as. It is mangling our rights, simple as that.

Linux is an option for general computing but for me, nothing more. There's other DAW platforms than Mac/Windows? Where? Show me Linux is a serious OS for music production and design. It's not. And by serious I mean robust and reliable tools. I don't want Gimp or Audacity, I want Logic and Photoshop. If I HAD to "downgrade" to some open source, semi-functional app maybe I would. But I don't think Linux has a viable reputation for music production or design. It caters to programmers/developers/web servers and the like. That is where it is most integral as an OS, as far as I see.

How you deal with this dilemna could be a real opportunity for growth and self-exploration, Phait. I'd take a contemplative approach and allow my decisions to flow out of who I am. If I was you. Which I'm not. But good luck to you, in all seriousness. I hope you sort it all out. 'Cause, as you say, some form of DRM is going to happen in next generation Macs if Jobs and Apple are to succeed at winning the living room. And the living room is huge. So to speak. He who controls the living room controls the media marketplace.

Phil, it doesn't matter to me if I can disable DRM or not. I don't trust that it is "off".

That's not only silly but preposterous.Like Phil and I both pointed out,that would require AMD scheming with 3rd party chipset and mobo companies to implement fraudulant bios features which would also set up these companies for illegal practices and getting them "all" to go along with the scheme,so dream on in technicolor.Apple and Intel both have a history of using "their" chipset with no one to stop them from doing what they want.Anyway,that's the current state of things at the moment.The only thing that will change that is if Microsoft forces the hand of 3rd party chipset and mobo manufacturers once Longhorn rolls out,but current AMD chips and chipsets in mobos will be compatible with Longhorn and probably the OS on Windows following that and most likely Apples OS by then as well.A current powerful AMD system can buy you about 8 years of a DRM free system compatible with future OS's and competitive performance.As far as not trusting AMD I'd say their easily the most trustworthy out of the 4 companies involved(AMD/Intel/Apple/Microsoft)hands down no contest.Intel and Jobs are both proven liars and I wont even comment on Microsoft.At the moment,AMD is your only liferaft.As far as "not trusting that it's off",well that's easy,try and make copies of your work and as far as the net goes,you should have a dedicated net free work machine anyway if your serious.

The only option AMD gives me is a CPU for gaming. I don't use PC's for music.

AMD makes the best current CPU availible for PC's period and that includes graphics besides DAW,and lets not even go there.

The only option AMD gives me is a CPU for gaming. I don't use PC's for music.

Well that's your main problem right there then.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Phil, it doesn't matter to me if I can disable DRM or not. I don't trust that it is "off". Also, from what I've read once DRM is fully rolled out - if you have it disabled, your OS will only be partially functional.

Again, as I originally said, if the computer's offline, no one is going to be able to get the data from it... and if you want to be extra paranoid, you can always build a Faraday cage. ;)

Personally, I really DO think it's actually "off", but OTOH, it's completely irrelevant insofar as my DAW machine, since it's not online anyway. Which BTW, is really the best approach - dedicate a computer to just DAW duties, and get something else for the Internet. Sneakernet files back and forth as needed. It doesn't take the latest and greatest in CPU horsepower to surf the net and D/L software updates, so what you're using now will probably do for quite a while, and your new Mac can be kept offline if you want.

Same with certain software. The internet may or may not even be accesssible. Bullshit like that.

Not that I'm condoning it, but I guarantee you that there will be a Mac software or hardware hack within six months of the release of a DRM equipped Intelimac that will completely disable DRM. Guaranteed. If not sooner.

But if you refuse to go with a Intel or AMD machine running an Apple or Microsoft OS, you can go Unix. I see you don't like Unix, but hey... if enough support was there, there's no reason why a fully functional DAW app couldn't run just fine on Unix.

Still not happy? Go hardware. No reason why you have to use a software DAW.... there's plenty of ways to go with dedicated hardware - analog and digital. Even if every single personal computer on the planet had DRM tomorrow morning, there is no reason why you would have to "quit recording", even if you refused to use DRM equipped hardware, because as Lee was trying to tell you, there are still a lot of options available to you. Will one of them be Logic? Probably not... at least not if you refuse to patronize a company that supports DRM. But hey, Apple, in their infin... Never mind - let's just say, they ditched a third of the Logic market a few years ago anyway, and I was one of them. And I had been a loyal customer for over 14 years. Oh well, sometimes things happen and you have to move on to something else. I wasn't happy about it, but oh well. And while I still think Logic's probably the greatest MIDI sequencer ever coded, I actually like what I'm using now better in many respects. But even if I didn't, and it was a matter of personal honor and principle to me (as it obviously is to you, and I can certainly respect that), it wouldn't mean the end of the road insofar as my ability to record music. I'd find SOMETHING that I could make work to do music on.

I'm as much against the mangling of our rights as the next guyLips, but the tail wagging the dog question would be, what have you been doing in music and design, and in what way has speculation about a yet-to-be-built computer impeded that?

If you've been dreaming of producing an album for 11 years, and are saying that the potential inclusion of DRM in future Apple computers has dashed your dream, the question is so what about the last 11 years? What about now?

This DRM thing is Henny Penny. Quit bitching about the sky falling down and bake your damn bread!

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Originally posted by Brittanylips:

If you've been dreaming of producing an album for 11 years, and are saying that the potential inclusion of DRM in future Apple computers has dashed your dream, the question is so what about the last 11 years? What about now?

Exactly. :idea:

Archived