Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IT'S OFFICIAL! Come, my little Mac lovelies, come to the dark side...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management#Introduction

DRM controls are sometimes proposed to be enforced through so-called trusted computing. However, civil libertarians maintain that trusted computing creates the prospect of a computer system which cannot be trusted by its owner, but rather its behavior can be remotely manipulated at any time, regardless of the legal merits of such manipulation. Most opponents have little faith that the courts or legislatures will be able to limit such manipulation to only that which is legally permitted.

Several laws relating to DRM have been proposed or already enacted in various jurisdictions (State, Federal, non-US). Some of them will require all computer systems to have mechanisms controlling the use of digital media. (See Professor Edward Felten's freedom-to-tinker Web site for information and pointers to the current debate on these matters).

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theblue1:

The way Ben lays it out makes plenty of sense.

Then AMD processors should react the same way then,but they don't.Yes all processors are technically affected,but it's Intels pipeline that makes it vulnerable.The fact that some fixed point plugs in TC's PowerCore spike Intels CPU kinda put's that argument to rest as well.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

The Mac Intels will have DRM.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0 ,aid,121027,00.asp

I am frustrated and depressed.

Apple will be using Pentium D chips. These chips will have the DRM technology in them.

Since I do not support DRM, I will not support any company that supports DRM. This means I will no longer be using any Apple product anymore. This means I no longer have a decent design or music production platform. This means my dream of 11 fucking years of cutting my own album(s) is dead. Windows and PC's will inevitably support DRM, hell - are starting to. Again since I don't support DRM, this means no more Windows gaming for me. And since I won't have any decent platform for music, this means I need to sell my $1500 workstation keyboard.

DRM issues aside...

The G5 heat problem really has been holding the Mac platform back. My Dual 2.5 GHz G5 dwarfs my old G4 because of the cooling methods that needed to be implemented to keep it from having a meltdown. How could Apple make that work in a laptop? When you're nearing a dead-end, you've got to find another road to drive on; and that's what Apple did. ;)

In business, it's not uncommon at all for competitors to become allies. The very first Mac commercial portrayed IBM as Big Brother; and a decade later, Apple and Motorola teamed up with IBM to forge the PowerPC alliance. Now, almost a decade after an Apple commercial set fire to the Intel Bunny Man, Apple and Intel will make computers together. Shocking? Not to me anyway.

Microsoft and Apple have long been partners and rivals. Once Apple acquired Emagic, it became both a partner and a rival of every other Mac DAW manufacturer as well. Business as usual.

Come to think of it, life as usual.

This year Jerry Rice will report to training camp as a Denver Bronco after years of playing for "hated" division rivals, the Oakland Raiders.

Sixty years on, we're pals with Germany and Japan after having once (or more than once) been mortal enemies...

Nonetheless, this is a pretty big deal in the history of Apple Computer, and it's the third major transition in the saga of the Macintosh platform: 1) The move to the PowerPC chip, 2) The migration to UNIX-based OS X, and 3) The transition to Intel-based chips.

As someone who migrated through the first two transitions, I expect this one to be the least difficult. (OS X was the toughest - never before have I had so many peripherals become instantly obsolete!) Sure, it'll suck a little to have to live with fat-coded apps for awhile, and Alndln's post about Intel chip problems concerns me a bit; but in order for any platform to move ahead, growing pains become a necessary downside.

The upside is that Apple should move past the G5 stage before it becomes too much of a liability.

Best,

Geoff

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/NoMacVsPC.jpg

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Phait:

The Mac Intels will have DRM.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0 ,aid,121027,00.asp

I am frustrated and depressed.

Apple will be using Pentium D chips. These chips will have the DRM technology in them.

Since I do not support DRM, I will not support any company that supports DRM. Windows and PC's will inevitably support DRM

Although AMD signed on along with Intel on DRM,AMD vowed to make it optional and not mandatory on their chips,in other words you'll have to enable DRM in bios if you want it,but not so with Intel chips.So it looks like an AMD based PC is the only option to avoid DRM.I always knew where the darkside was.

I still wouldn't trust AMD, it's probably false security.

That would require AMD to lie to 3rd party board makers to make bogus bios implementations besides the fact that DRM is still nowhere in sight in their roadmap.I have no fear regarding AMD on this issue for at least 4 years or so.When MS is on to it's next OS after Longhorn things might change,but maybe not.AMD knows it's stance on DRM and who's going to look like the bad guy and they are taking advantage at the moment.How long that will last is anyones guess,but it should last for the longevity of Longhorn and by then DRM might not even be implemented in chips themselves but other hardware instead.Either way,I won't have to deal with it for a loooooong time.By then I'll be able to afford the current fastest Opteron running on Win XP 64.So maybe I'll face this issue in the year 2010 or so,maybe not.

By the way, I watched Steve Jobs' keynote. Love him or hate him, he's a pretty good showman.

After sharing sales figures and demo'ing third-party widgets, Jobs waited until over halfway through his address to share the Intel surprise. Then he revealed that he had been using an Intel-powered Mac all-along for all of the prior demos. As proof, he opened the "About This Mac" window to reveal the Intel processor. :eek:

Of course, then he opened most of the widely-used applications every Mac user knows to demonstrate that they were already running under Rosetta on Intel. Yep, I'd say that Mac OS X has already traveled pretty far down that Intel road... ;)

Best,

Geoff

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/NoMacVsPC.jpg

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Seriously, what are you guys going to do? Continue buying hardware with DRM? I'm interested in your thoughts.

Phait,

I don't know what to think of this yet. But if you think you can't make music anymore you are dead wrong. Buy a stand-alone hard disk recorder. There is always a solution. Of course you can do more with a computer but if you really wanted to continue making music, you would find a way. That's my take on it at least. I don't even know if i will be alive in 2007 when the transition will be almost complete. Even if I am it doesn't mean that I have to buy a new computer. The G5 I have now should last a while. I hope. :D

Originally posted by deanmass:

I think I might just buy a couple dozen ADATS, an old MOTU midi timepiece, and find a MAC SE ONLINEand forgoet the entire thing.. :)

I agree. Since I am a millionaire now, I might just buy that Studer 2" tape machine I have always wanted and that new Neve board. :D

Originally posted by ryst:

For design, I can see where you are coming from. But music, there is always another way. But I would just wait to see what happens and not get too upset right now.

I can't wait. My college app and stuff is due June 30 and I'm stuck in this bullshit indecision.

For design, I can see where you are coming from. But music, there is always another way. But I would just wait to see what happens and not get too upset right now.

I can't wait. My college app and stuff is due June 30 and I'm stuck in this bullshit indecision.
Well, I would go ahead with it. Id you don't, you could regret it later. It might not be as horrific as you might be thinking it will be. Of course, the opposite could be true too. But I would still do it. It's human nature to over-react to everything.

It's human nature to over-react to everything.

Especially MY nature. I dunno. Truth is I love design and it's what I wanna do. I see myself doing nothing else and loving it. Really. Maybe I just have to give in, but not without a fight.

I had this idea months ago - to run a full page ad explaining why DRM is bad, in a major newspaper. I cannot do this alone...

It will only get worse. I am waiting for the dark, 24/7 government patrolled streets and lack of freedoms and privacy of the "Half-Life 2" plot to become a reality.

I know what you mean, bro... this is why I'm actually glad I'm such an old pharte... I probably won't live to see the really dark days...

:(:(:(

At this point, I'm starting to think that the last computer I'll be getting will be a top-o-the-line G5 and Powerbook next year, and I'll just have to pamper that baby for the rest of my natural life.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by deanmass:

I think I might just buy a couple dozen ADATS, an old MOTU midi timepiece, and find a MAC SE ONLINEand forgoet the entire thing.. :)

I agree. Since I am a millionaire now, I might just buy that Studer 2" tape machine I have always wanted and that new Neve board. :D
Perhaps you should wait to see what comes of Peter Gabriel's purchase of SSL.

And then who buys whom? Apple buys PG or PG buys Apple.

The technological world is moving faster and faster. Ramp up your treadmill if you want to keep up. :D

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

I guess it looks like within 4 years we'll all be Intel's bitches

It could be worse, I guess.... maybe.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

I'm proud of y'all for not turning this into a flame war :thu: You're all better people than I am ;)

Some points:

and LINUX is running on what processor ?

All of them. Seriously. Including your game consoles, PDAs, cell phones and stuff. If you want even more, check out the list of (50+) supported architectures that NetBSD does. :eek: And, IMHO, NetBSD is a nicer system.

DRM

This freaks me out too, but significantly less than it used to. I think it's because they've been rumouring about positive processor IDs since the Pentium II, and i haven't really seen anything coming of it yet.

like 16 P3s together

Damn i can't remember the name of them, but about a year ago i read on /. about a type of processor that was small, relatively low-power but efficient. I forget what they were originally designed to do, but some company was stacking about 8 or 12 of them together on a plug-in PCI card and whipping the snot out of then-current dual-proc latest-n-greatest Pentiums using half the electricity and producing much less heat.

Anoplura

Dunno where this guy snuck it from but he brings up a lot of good points, esp. that you will not be able to run OSX on any non-Apple machines. Try as they might, Apple knows how clever the /. kiddies are, and won't let it happen.

Microsoft were to buy up all the hardware manufacturers

Well unfortunately, Microsoft pretty much owns them all. Microsoft can posture and make demands and say "Do it our way, or we'll be sure to make your stuff incompatible with Windows."

Much as I hate it too, it's a Windows world, and if you aren't compatible with their OS, you typically won't be able to sell enough of your hardware to cover the costs of making it, much less making a profit. There are exceptions (like Sun Microsystems, but you will still have to do it their way) but most of them are at that tipping point of going under or have already faltered(i.e. SGI, Be, etc).

My little cup of hope? Microsoft is delaying and delaying Longhorn. This means one of two things:

1) Maybe they'll get it right this time, and create a truly great OS. I know they *can* do it, they simply *choose* not to. I'm not holding my breath though.

2) All the little guys have time to sneak in and eat their lunch. This includes Apple. It used to include all the Linux-on-the-desktop projects, but much as i like the idea i don't think they'll *ever* get their shit together enough to pull it off. There is a recent "PC-BSD" movement to put a BSD OS on the desktop, but it's not especially popular, and it'll have a lot of the same obstacles that the Linux guys haven't solved yet in several years. Besides, the rest of the BSD folks have a much different philosopy- one that doesn't involve world domination. It's more about being left alone to do the things they want to do with their OS ;) .

Apple as an Evil Empire

I know it. offramp know it. Tom Servo know it. Zorak know it. If it came down to it, Apple would be The Most Evil Empire Of Them All, because unlike all the other evil empires, They Are So Fucking Cool. All the other Empires ruled by lock-in and brute force. Apple has the ability to rule by propaganda and herd mentality alone, if left to its will. They make you want to be ruled, and that's a HUGE difference. Almost scary. Yes they can and do make some great products, but this is what's kept them alive over the years, and this is why they'll never die.

Oh, and alongside Apple, Google will be Evil Empire #2. You just watch, folks. Mark my words.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Good points all.

Hey Alndn and any other AMD fans... a question. If you had less than $300 right now to spend on an AMD processor + mobo, what's the best you can get for that? Keeping in mind it does not have to be totally bleeding edge, it would not be used for gaming and just occasionally for audio/video.

Apple has the ability to rule by propaganda and herd mentality alone, if left to its will. They make you want to be ruled, and that's a HUGE difference.

I don't know that I'd go that far.

All I know is that they have the user interface, functionality, and style I want. They have a sense of humor. The OS lets me do what I want to do, with a minimum of hassle.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Hey Alndn and any other AMD fans... a question. If you had less than $300 right now to spend on an AMD processor + mobo, what's the best you can get for that?

I'd get the ASRock K8 Upgrade-1689 Socket 754 board($52.99)which also has a socket 939 for future upgrades,also has SATA,and you can grap an Athlon 64 3400(socket 754) for $173.00 lowest.ASRock is a joint company between Asus and ECS and make solid budget boards,and I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Ali chipset so far.

Truth is I love design and it's what I wanna do.

Then that's what you should do and not let a machine get in your way,if you do let a machine get in your way then maybe it's time to question you passion for it.
Maybe I just have to give in, but not without a fight.
After being in tape based studios since the mid 60's,that's what I said when I got my first PC and it didn't work besides not having a clue what to do when it finally did,but if your passionate about what you want you'll always find a way.If DRM came knocking on my door tommorow I'd surely find a way around it,because as much as I don't like it myself it's not imortant enough for me to let it stand in my way.Like others are saying here,it might not even be implemented right away in Apples x86 OS wether it's on the chip or not,and there's alway's AMD anyway.The games still afoot.If you don't like DRm following you around on the net then get a dedicated work machine.

Archived