Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IT'S OFFICIAL! Come, my little Mac lovelies, come to the dark side...

Originally posted by Phait:

No, I will not and I stand by that. I swear on my life I will not support or buy anything with DRM. If it means no more computers the rest of my life, so fucking be it. I'll take up landscaping and do analog recording.

You're a likable cuss, and I empathisize with your outrage. But I suspect you'll find a way to get around this.

If one doesn't get more flexible as one gets older -- one breaks. Sooner. Rather than later.

Anyhow, it seems to me the pain you're feeling is related to the fact that your platform of choice is one where one company controls the software and the hardware -- and, increasingly, a lot of the major apps.

I mean, I like XP pretty well -- but if Microsoft bought up all the hardware makers* and prevented users from buying necessary parts to build your own -- I'd be a Linux user so fast your head wouldn't even have a chance to spin. I can't even imagine. And while Apple's an entirely different beast than MS, I'm ultimately no more comfortable with their corporate personality than MS's...

PS... as noted, there's always Linux. Not quite the same arsenel of design tools, I suppose. But, you know, you will need a computer to do the books for your landscaping business. ;)

* Or let's make the example a little less loaded. :D How about if Dell (who made my laptop which I have to admit I like so much I almost get sentimental about it... bloody weird) bought Windows and all the other manufacturers and prevented you from building your own. Same difference. No way. No way in hell.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I will not and I stand by that. I swear on my life I will not support or buy anything with DRM. If it means no more computers the rest of my life, so fucking be it. I'll take up landscaping and do analog recording.

Wow, that's a lot of drama over a computer chip...

This is fucking depressing.

DRM? I don't care if Intel says "no the chips don't have DRM" -- they probably fucking do, and I will NOT SUPPORT any computer that has this. I do not care if it means the end of computing for me. I don't!

It will only get worse. I am waiting for the dark, 24/7 government patrolled streets and lack of freedoms and privacy of the "Half-Life 2" plot to become a reality.

Yikes!!!

Originally posted by theblue1:

PS... as noted, there's always Linux. Not quite the same arsenel of design tools, I suppose. But, you know, you will need a computer to do the books for your landscaping business.

and LINUX is running on what processor ?

As Nostradamus said, "at the end there is only one".

END OF DUALITY - AMEN - CIAO - SERVUS :D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

This is fucking depressing.

I know it's just a computer, but look.

DRM? I don't care if Intel says "no the chips don't have DRM" -- they probably fucking do, and I will NOT SUPPORT any computer that has this. I do not care if it means the end of computing for me. I don't!

Secondly, apps will still have to be rewritten/optimized for Intel CPU's. It doesn't matter that it is apparently "easy" to do this. I need a G5 this year for school, I will probably be getting it. But what if in the future I need new software, but it doesn't support PPC anymore. I have to get a new fucking Apple, and software.

I will not.

This SUCKS MAJORLY. It affects not just personal computer users it affects people with computer careers, and that means me, in the future, with graphic design.

It will only get worse. I am waiting for the dark, 24/7 government patrolled streets and lack of freedoms and privacy of the "Half-Life 2" plot to become a reality.

All totally true - you've never been one to overreact Phait so I'm with you 100%.

So who has Superman's number to come and save us all? I'm happy to call from here.

Originally posted by theblue1:

Originally posted by FrankieP:

So does that mean Logic 8 will be PC compatible again? :);)

We have a Thread Winning Post, here, folks.

:D

Logic won't run on any PC/windows ever again, so don't get your hopes up.

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

Originally posted by Alon:

you wanna say they go under with Apple?

> ciao > adios > finito > asta la vista Lengeling

-

I'm not quite sure what you're alluding to. Apple going under ?

Haven't people been saying that about Apple for over 20 years?

DRM? DRM's got nothing to do with it. Whomever wrote that Wired blurb missed the significance of this entirely.

The G5 is a great chip - and right now the fastest G5s are comparable to the fastest x86 chips - but it's a dead end. They were supposed to have reached 3GHz by the end of last year, and were hoping to scale it up beyond 5GHz. They can barely hiz 2.7GHz now, and they require water cooling to do it. Meanwhile, AMD and Intel's chips keeps getting faster and more power effiecient.

The problem is that IBM and Freescale(Motorola) are effectively done making Mac processors. IBM has moved all their engineering resources over the new Cell architecture. Both the X-Box 2 and Playstation 3 will be using variations of the Cell chip, and IBM can count on selling at least 100 of those for every G5.

But even that is just background for the REAL reason. G5 laptop anyone? Not gonna happen. IBM can't give them a chip that runs cool enough. Even the current G4s run hotter and suck batteries faster than their predecessors, and there is a real performance gap opening between them and the fastest Intel and AMD machines.

Laptops are the real market now - especially with Apple's target demographic. They need to have competitive Powerbooks again, and they need them now. The Pentium M (Centrino) is the most viable platform right now. Low power, high-performance,and with a promising future roadmap. That's what Apple is after.

I'll also quickly say that performance and compatibility won't really be an issue - it'll be nothing like Classic mode or the first generation PowerPCs. I'll leave it at that to keep this message readable, but I may go into more detail later.

...And no, OS-X won't be available for non-Apple PCs. Five bucks says that Apple will use off-the-shelf Pentiums. It'd be way too expensive for them to get special chips, but they'll use their own motherboards and possibly even the DRM registers in the chips so that the OS-X binaries will only run on the hardware that they supply.

Ben

Originally posted by Ed A.:

Haven't people been saying that about Apple for over 20 years?
More like 25+ years probably.

And people will still say it in 10 years time.

:)

Hey, certain people swore Kerry would win the elections also.

Originally posted by Alndln:

What is De-Normal ???

-

CPU Spikes.Go here to learn more http://phonophunk.phreakin.com/articles/pentium4-denormalization.php?pg=1#explanation-of-the-problem
1. "De-normalling" is a problem common to any floating point processor. You constantly have to check if you data is within bounds. This is one of the many reasons why fixed point math is better for DSP. You (as a programmer) always know where your bits are at, and you are in control of the precision.

The x86 architecture can take a bigger peformance hit when it gets into teeny tiny values than most other chips, because it has a built in high precision mode that kicks in when the values get too small. This isn't exactly a secret, and you only know about it because of bad programming - probably by noobs who didn't RTFM, as it were. ;)

2. Apple isn't going to use P4s. That architecture is as much of a dead end as the G5. They will be using the next generation chips on the desktop which will be based on the Pentium M - a completely different design.

Ben

Originally posted by Anoplura:

1. "De-normalling" is a problem common to any floating point processor.

[/QB]

Nonsense. This problem doesn't exist using AMD processors.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

I am probably repeated some things already stated, but..

1)In all the discussion of processors, I do not understand why functionally, someone has not come out with cheap, mega multi processor machines, i.e. 16 P3's running in parallel. I know as a marketing tool, they need newer faster, sell sell sell, but practically, I think there is a market for this product and a openware soft os (*nix)

2) My g4 powerbook runs hot as hell, and it is not the newest fastest one. I can only imagine how hot the g5's run.

3)There was some chatter last week on slashdot regarding DRM and video encoders built into video cards for PC's being UNABLE to do much with video after a certain production date.

4) AMD is gonna eat the lunch of Intel. I think intel is scared now, and looking for a 'plan' to fend off AMD. The sad fact is that MOST consumers will not give a crap about being able to NOT copy files, and thus would probably buy an intel/apple box with protection of some flavor.

5) In general, I think this news is a bummer.

Originally posted by Anoplura:

5. They will be using the next generation chips on the desktop which will be based on the Pentium M - a completely different design.

The only difference with the "M" is that it has a shorter pipeline similar to their older P3,so as a result it will suffer less from this problem,but it still suffers nonetheless as evidenced by daily KVR-VST reports(the new Minimonsta/P-"M" as a new example).When I finally find a plugin that affects AMD this way I'll let you know.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by offramp:

WHAT is 'DRM', and why is it considered to be the apocalypse?

Copy protection.

I guess it's only the apocalypse if you're bent on bootlegging movies and songs.

"Digital Rights Management, abbreviated DRM, is an umbrella term referring to any of several technical methods used to control or restrict the use of digital media content on electronic devices with such technologies installed. The media most often restricted by DRM techniques include music, visual artwork, and movies.

Some digital media content publishers claim DRM technologies are necessary to prevent revenue loss due to illegal duplication of their copyrighted works."

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by offramp:

WHAT is 'DRM', and why is it considered to be the apocalypse?

Copy protection.

I guess it's only the apocalypse if you're bent on bootlegging movies and songs.

No, it's the apocalypse because most of these technologies are basically based on "spy" technology - the ability to uniquely identify and trace activity on your computer via its processor. Of course, they will claim that it's only for copy protection and "for our own good" but the fact is, this technology can and will be used for a lot more than that.

You don't have to be a bootlegger to care about your privacy.

Archived