Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back to Sound Cards...

I purchased the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS THX about 3 or 4 days ago and someone mentioned that it was mainly good for playback and not actually for recording. They suggested SB Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro.

What about the this one??? It's not the PRO version, but lists this in the specs. and pure 24-bit/96kHz recording to capture subtle details in your audio creation It's directly from Creative...

http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/headers/prod10877_hdr_1_1_61.jpg

Here are the specs....

You will also be amazed by the improvement in sonic quality brought about by Sound Blaster 24-bit ADVANCED HD technology, enabling the flawless delivery of Advanced Resolution DVD-Audio up to an amazing 24-bit/192kHz resolution in stereo. An incredible 106dB SNR rating also means that you will experience stunning audio clarity in music, movies and games that is not possible on 16-bit sound cards. Furthermore, you can even hook up to a 6.1 speaker system and enjoy immersive 6.1 surround sound with the latest Dolby Digital® EX movies and DirectSound® 3D games.

Studio quality connectivity with three analog stereo connections for six channel input, optical and coaxial digital I/O, MIDI I/O, and two SB1394/Firewire® ports

The only PC solution to enable the Advanced Resolution era of 24-bit music fidelity with 192kHz in stereo and 96kHz in 5.1

The best Sound Blaster® clarity ever, rivaling home theater audio quality for music, games and movies

Experience superior multi-channel audio from MP3s, CDs, 3D games and Dolby Digital® EX movies with a rear center speaker

Unparalleled audio realism from the hottest gaming titles and pure 24-bit/96kHz recording to capture subtle details in your audio creation

Package Contents

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX PCI card

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum eX External I/O Module with infra-red receiver

Joystick/MIDI bracket

User Manual (on CD)

Remote Control unit and batteries

AD_LINK cable

Power Splitter Cable

1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter

Installation CD

These items are not for resale

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those not involved in the other thread, this is to beef up my system for the Sonar 4 SE that I just got. I'm on a limited budget, and want something that's going to get the job done for the best price.

Here is a different one for less... It appears to have more jacks on it and the specs are pretty good... The main difference that I notice is in the 100dB SNR as opposed to 106db SNR in the card above. Also, this one is refurbished by Creative, whereas the other is brand new overstock. This one is going for $50.00 less than the other. Opinions????

http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/headers/prod103_hdr_1_1_61.jpg

Specs:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum eX Sound Card

Sound Blaster® Audigy Platinum eX is the professional home studio solution that opens up a whole new world of unprecedented high-definition audio with the flexibility of an external drive. You'll experience incredible audio clarity with 24-bit, multi-channel, 5.1 sound and stunning 100dB SNR. The increased power of the Audigy chip enables EAX® ADVANCED HD to deliver a host of innovative, high-definition audio effects with next-generation, interactive, 3D audio for gaming and sophisticated effects for music. The external Audigy drive has the most comprehensive connectors for analog or digital devices, including professional audio gear, home-stereo receivers, Optical DACs, MIDI devices, and DV Camcorders. You'll also have the advantage of high-capacity connectivity to SB1394 qualified devices like DV Camcorders, the future SB1394 NOMAD® Jukebox, external hard drives, and high-speed CD-RWs.

Professional home studio with high-end music creation tools, expanded multi I/O connectivity, and low-latency ASIO support

Stunning 24-bit multi-channel performance and 100dB SNR for high-definition audio

Innovative EAX® ADVANCED HD technology delivers high-definition audio environments for ultra-realistic gaming and enriched music effects

Fully-integrated SB1394 (IEEE® 1394 compliant) ensures optimum performance for qualified products like DV

Camcorders, digital audio players, external hard drives, high-speed CD-RWs, and home entertainment equipment

Package Contents

Audigy Platinum eX PCI sound card

Audigy Platinum eX external drive bay

Digital CD Audio Cable

Remote Control unit and batteries

AD_LINK cable to Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum eX card

Power Supply Splitter Cable

1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter

Installation CD

These items are not for resale.

Condition

This product is factory refurbished and sealed by Creative. Some items may have minor cosmetic defects.

Warranty

This refurbished product has a 30 day limited warranty.

Returns

All sales are final. Exchanges for defective product only.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Ani ,... I've been using the Audigy 2 zs pro for about 1.5 years, I dunno about the one you have but I don't want any other soundcard again.

This one does exactly what I want and the sound is great.

I use it with Nuendo and loads and loads of virtual instruments and plugins... I record my voice and our band with it and it really has a pro sound ,..well If I can judge that with my amateure ears.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Thanks Boosh. The Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro is going for $249.00 right now, whereas the 2ZS Platinum eX is listed at $119.00 New.... and the Audigy Platinum eX is going for $69.00 factory refurbished.... actually they have a new (overstock) one for the same price as well.

That's a lot less than I have paid for it,...I think I paid around $350 1.5 years ago.

Whatever you do by the way,... don't upgrade and use the projectX drivers( some people say they are better than the factory ones)...

They messed up my whole soundsystem!!! Had to reinstall windows and everything,.. took me 10 dayzz to get everything up and running again.

Thanks for the heads up on the upgrade ordeal. I don't really want to cut the quality, but anything is better than the HP factory installed sound cards that aren't worth a shite. I don't really have a lot of extra doe to spare right now, but I at least want to take care of the sound card and upgrade the RAM a bit... I just had to spring for my son's birthday... Bought him a paintball gun equipped with the mandatory gear. That junk is as much as recording gear. :eek:

Hey Anifa, i'm not sure what you want exactly for a soundcard, but you should check out the M-audio products, and also the Tascam US-122.

I always considered Creative to focus more on playback (for video games and what not) rather than recording.

i hope this helps,

lavi.

I use the Audigy 2ZS for all my sounds needs and it has been a great card. I use it to get all my recorded sound effects into my computer plus use the optical out for my 5.1 mix setup. Works like a charm. You won't be disappointed.

Chris Groegler

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Anifa,

Creative Labs products are geared more towards gamers and amateur musicians looking for an all-in-one setup. Most people that have tried their products usually find the drivers to be inferior to products from M-Audio, Echo, RME, etc. Emu (linked to Creative) has a much more professional package based upon the same technology that has been rated highly and is also expandable. Is there something in particular that you need for I/O, MIDI playback, etc that is having you lean towards this card? If you just need clean quality I/O without a lot of frills then Id highly recommend looking at some of the brands I listed above. Echo is my favorite, by M-Audio is also great among others.

-Dylan

Are you going to use this card as your main I/O interface?? I did read your other thread so I'm familiar with what you want to do, but didn't think you were wanting this sound card for your interface for Sonar.

I'd probably stick with a dedicated I/O if I were you.

Chris

Sound Designer,

Red Storm Entertainment

Originally posted by Dylan:

Anifa,

Creative Labs products are geared more towards gamers and amateur musicians looking for an all-in-one setup. Most people that have tried their products usually find the drivers to be inferior to products from M-Audio, Echo, RME, etc. Emu (linked to Creative) has a much more professional package based upon the same technology that has been rated highly and is also expandable. Is there something in particular that you need for I/O, MIDI playback, etc that is having you lean towards this card? If you just need clean quality I/O without a lot of frills then Id highly recommend looking at some of the brands I listed above. Echo is my favorite, by M-Audio is also great among others.

-Dylan

I hope I won't offend Gus(my tequila friend) now but I never had any problem when using soundblaster drivers,......M-audio stuff,....it gave me huge headaches ;) I think the audigy will suit Anifa very good. I'm very picky when it comes to gear and especially soundcards and in this pricerange the Audigy cards are really the best you can choose,... recording,editing,using plugs or live input without a huzzle. 1 thing,.... if you really wanna record a whole band at once on seperate tracks then the audigy won't fit your needs. For midi,mixing,recording solo instrumets or up to three inputs at once - in my opinion - it's a great buy!

I'm just looking to find something that has a sonically respectable way of getting out sounds from my Roland VS880EX (digital) and my Yamaha MT8X (analogue)into my SONAR 4. Also, it would be nice to run my mics (2AKG) and perhaps a few instruments in simultaneously as well; at least two mic inputs would be feasable.

Although, I can only play one instrument at a time, so the multiple inputs for instrument are not really necessary ... at this point. What I may do is get something decent, and then when finances allow, move up to something better. My main focus for now is going to be getting all of my analog tapes converted over to digital files. Then I'll move to the Roland and unload those files over into SONAR.

Once I get my garage converted over to a studio, then I'll focus more on live band type set ups.... that's a bit in the future though.

Please forget what's my job, just answer this to yourself...

Originally posted by Anifa:

Also, it would be nice to run my mics (2AKG) and perhaps a few instruments in simultaneously as well; at least two mic inputs would be feasable.

... how do you expect to :

(1) send phantom power to them

(2) actually connecting them to that soundcard?

There are a lot of options from diverse manufacturers which DO NOT have all those gaming/DVD extras and then focus into nice quality preamps, balanced i/o, etc.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

One thing to consider is that at least back in the day that the SB Live cards had a fixed internal sample rate of 48k (my AC 97 on-board card is the same), so everything that comes in at a different sample rate has to be converted. Im not sure if this is still the case, but its something to consider. This

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240390/ product is one of the Emu cards that I was talking about and its only $100! My preference for a card under $500 would be the Echo Gina 3G: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/700662/ .It has 2 very nice Mic Pres, plus a ton of I/O for expansion. Echo has incredibly rock-solid, no-nonsense drivers that work fantastic with Sonar and other pro apps. Ive been using an Echo Mona (now discontinued) for years and its always been reliable and great sounding. I cant say enough good things about Echo products.

Here are the specs for the E-mu card...

Requirements:Genuine Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® K6® class processor or higher operating at 500MHz or faster; Intel®, AMD® or 100% compatible motherboard & chipset; 128MB
I don't know if the AMD Athlon and the AMD K6 are anything in the same category; but???? don't know if I'm equipped for this sound card.

The K6 is a very old and slow processor by todays standards. I've yet to use any soundcard that didn't work with any of the later AMD Atlhon, Duron, Sempron, and AMD64 CPU's. All of these chips are based upon the x86 platform.

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Please forget what's my job, just answer this to yourself...

Also, it would be nice to run my mics (2AKG) and perhaps a few instruments in simultaneously as well; at least two mic inputs would be feasable.

... how do you expect to :

(1) send phantom power to them

(2) actually connecting them to that soundcard?

There are a lot of options from diverse manufacturers which DO NOT have all those gaming/DVD extras and then focus into nice quality preamps, balanced i/o, etc.

Gus,

I questioned this on the first card I listed in this thread because it doesn't say anything about in/outs other than midi...

On the second card, I'm looking at this line right here The external Audigy drive has the most comprehensive connectors for analog or digital devices, including professional audio gear, home-stereo receivers, Optical DACs, MIDI devices, and DV Camcorders

Anifa,

If you really need a card only for music purposes I would go for something with less useless consumer frills,better quality drivers and decent converters. It's good for the sound and for the pc performance.

The products I know well and use are not in your price range, but in these forums a lot has been said on very good and less expensive cards. If you can, have a deeper search.

My 0,02

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

I didn't see anything listed on the Creative site about Phantom power. I'd highly doubt that it does, as the 1/4" inputs are most likely high impedence, which is also a good indication that this is a consumer product first and foremost. The Echo Gina 3G has professional XLR inputs that are low impedence, however.

Thanks to all that have responded.

One thing that is nagging at me though, is the fact that I am finding many of the higher end sound cards are calling for Pentium processors. When I bought my CPU earlier this year, I specifically told the sales rep that I was interested in the Pentiums for music production; he steared me clear of the Pentiums and said the the Athlon's were the computer of choice for music.............. I SHOULD HAVE ASK HERE... but I was completely without a computer when my other system went down.

I'll do a bit of a search later on this evening... it's my son's birthday today and we'll be leaving shortly for a big day ahead.... speaking of which... Today is the Weasel's Birthday; I'll have to start a thread...

The external Audigy drive has the most comprehensive connectors for analog or digital devices, including professional audio gear, home-stereo receivers, Optical DACs, MIDI devices, and DV Camcorders

Right... show me the XLR/Neutriks or balanced 1/4 line ins...

I want you to buy something USEFUL. This one has no professional -or at least for musicians- connections.

Tascam US128 is a way better product than this soundcard. Or a Mia MIDI among several others.

About the Athlon/Pentium... if your computer has an AMD Athlon faster than 1.5 GHz, with at least 512 MB in RAM, Win XP Service Pack 1, it will work perfectly for Audio. Any M-Audio, Tascam, EMU, ECHO, etc, will perform ok under those specs.

www.guslozada.com

I probably have around 12 different musicians who record here at my home each week.

Around 56 different people only last month and everybody is amazed on how good their stuff sounds when it is recorded here.

I have recorded punk,blues and reggae bands here.

No problems at all. Acoustic sessions and hardcore house and drum & Bass and no-one ever complained.

Weird,...very weird.

Seems like people allways get annoyed or itchy when it comes to Behringer or Creative Labs. Must be the same people that vomit when they here you work with a PC and not an Apple.

In my opinion the Audigy 2ZS pro that I use is one of the most user friendly soundcards you can have in your home-studio set-up.

I never have any problems with it and the drivers are A-OH Kay!

Hey booshie!

I HAD a SoundBlaster once and I never complained about it! ... sounds good... does a lot of things. Even the internal EMU synth/sampler for soundfonts sounds great.

They just dont offer professional -or Insist, musicians- connectivy. No 1/4", no XLR, no phantom.

That means, you need a mixer to get your signals into it... which means: added noise. Those are not the best option regarding line or instrument inputs and with the added noise coming from 1/4 to RCA or 1/8 adaptors or even worse, from a cheap mixer, you can then get the point.

Once you compare how different is to connect a condenser microphone direct into your audio interface (with built in preamp and phantom) to one going first through a mixer, then using adaptor to get into RCA or 1/8" inputs, you'll know the difference... unless you have a very good digital mixer or preamp with digital out, and then connecting it to the S/PDIF in of the SoundBlaster... but almost any pro card has S/PDIF inputs too.

I could be wrong, of course...

www.guslozada.com

Ani, jumping in here late, as usual. Those specs looking for the Pentium III and AMD K6 are minimum requirements for the hardware and drivers to work correctly.

I've done lots of recording with a Soundblaster card but for the dedicated recording sysytem It will not be a Soundblaster card. I don't know what anyone else is doing but to get decent levels and input I have to run a mixer to the soundcard, with a Soundblaster. Though that's still probably going to be the way I input to the card, the M-Audio cards leave me an option. I'm going with M-Audio, just haven't decided on which one.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Gus Lozada:

Hey booshie!

I HAD a SoundBlaster once and I never complained about it! ... sounds good... does a lot of things. Even the internal EMU synth/sampler for soundfonts sounds great.

They just dont offer professional -or Insist, musicians- connectivy. No 1/4", no XLR, no phantom.

That means, you need a mixer to get your signals into it... which means: added noise. Those are not the best option regarding line or instrument inputs and with the added noise coming from 1/4 to RCA or 1/8 adaptors or even worse, from a cheap mixer, you can then get the point.

Once you compare how different is to connect a condenser microphone direct into your audio interface (with built in preamp and phantom) to one going first through a mixer, then using adaptor to get into RCA or 1/8" inputs, you'll know the difference... unless you have a very good digital mixer or preamp with digital out, and then connecting it to the S/PDIF in of the SoundBlaster... but almost any pro card has S/PDIF inputs too.

I could be wrong, of course...

I know all that Gustavo my friend ;)

But Ani allready has bought the card so giving her all these different options and telling what she should have bought is a bit like serving the salsa when the tacos are allready eaten ;)

Offcourse she needs a mixer with the audigy.

I chose for the audigy because soundcards with xlr inputs in that pricerange are most of the time really crappy.

At least the were a few years ago.

Originally posted by boosh:

I know all that Gustavo my friend ;)

But Ani allready has bought the card so giving her all these different options and telling what she should have bought is a bit like serving the salsa when the tacos are allready eaten ;)

Doh!

I missed that part... so she now owns that thing... I'll better shut the fck up...

Offcourse she needs a mixer with the audigy.

... and unless you guys have a very decent mixer, you will only be adding noise...

I chose for the audigy because soundcards with xlr inputs in that pricerange are most of the time really crappy.

hummm did you actually compare sound cards WITHOUT XLR and Preamps to the Audigy? Do you really think your mixer could do a better preamp work? and... the cost of a mixer and a -BTW non expandable*- Audigy based system is lower than... really?

* what if you need some more tracks?

At least the were a few years ago.

yeah and some years ago we were recording in analog tape and Tascam 4 trackers were better than Yamaha's... :P

well... I sold my SBPro Card... it was fine, I don't miss it at all, maybe in the same way you don't miss that other card you had... go figure...

www.guslozada.com

Archived