Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody know why XP has made all my files read-only all of a sudden??

Hi there... My machine is not connected to the web, has no virus protection or any other intrusive things... It's been running perfectly fine, without any problems... Anyway, from one day to the next, without my fooling around with the system or anything, I find that all my files are suddenly read-only, and no matter if I click to remove read-only, it goes right back... anybody know how to correct this??? Any info appreciated, thanks...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like someting changed the WinXP view of the HD to a read only type drive. I cannot remember where this setting is, but poke around the HD settings or look in the device manager or drive management sections and see if the HD settings have changed.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm thinking it's a permissions issue, as well. NTFS has been known to have issues of corruption in the security part of the MFT.

It is easy to screw up access rights to a drive. How comfortable are you working at this level? If you remove the Administraor from the drive, you could lock yourself out, completely. I'm over 3,000 miles away, and won't be able to help you if things go wrong.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions... Something definitely changed the drive settings, I've tried going in there and setting permissions to allow all files to be shared, basically making it easyto share, and things haven't changed...

I"m logged in as the same user as always, and although you could be right, Ididn't see anything in the user options that seemed restrictive...

I'll keep looking around to try to find a solution, unless somebody here eventually shows me the way, step by step... :) Or gives a me a link...

Originally posted by tradivoro:

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions... Something definitely changed the drive settings, I've tried going in there and setting permissions to allow all files to be shared, basically making it easyto share, and things haven't changed...

Shares & Permissions are two different things. You weren't clear on this. If you right-click on the drive in Explorer and choose *Properties*, You'll see a *Security* tab. Check the *Advanced* button on the lower right and review the allow/deny entries. Hopefully you have no denies & "Everyone" should have *Full Control*. This is NOT sharing. It is local account access rights to the drives on the same PC the user is logged onto. Shares will restrict external access.

Good luck, and be careful...

{Sorry about that typo... I'm still not awake.}

Dang! I need more caffiene...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Guys, thanks for all your help, but now the machine isn't even booting up... It's interesting, cause this machine is not hooked up to ethe internet and is used only for music... If this continues I may have to re-install windows... which is ok, I have everythign backed up... Who knows what happened... :)

In case it's not a hardware problem, check to see if the user account you're using to log in with is a member of the (local) Administrators group. Or you can log in as administrator and see if all the files are still read only.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out a virus. The Internet is not the only source of viruses - viruses existed before the Internet was widely used. A virus can exist on a file in a floppy disk and there were reports in the past of viruses included in commercially-bought CDs (though I hope that's no longer the case or at least extremely rare). The popularity of USB drives and media card readers has given viruses even more "doorways" to get to a computer - even if it's not networked.

You can try installing an AntiVirus program and scan it. A good, free one is Grisoft's AVG Free: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I believe Microsoft refers to this as a "feature".

SHUDDUP AND GO BACK TO EATING CROW!!!

(j/k) :D

How you doin, offramp?

Btw, i had a 65 Galaxie, but i like the 64s better.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Mine is acting stupid also. Instead of listing my files as 1,2,3....10,11,12, etc. They come up as 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,5,etc. Got all my picture out of order. Slowly

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by offramp:

"Anybody know why XP has made all my files read-only all of a sudden??"

Yeah, this actually is a feature... :P But at least I got Windows back up... I'm still trying to remove this "feature"...

Hi rim, it's not a hardware problem, It works well, except when you're tyring to copy something to dvd... Funny it will burn CDs fine, it's just with DVD's that it has a big problem... After trying to figure out why this may have happened, there was a program that crashed, but it closed windows along with it a couple of days back... I'm sure that's what started this whole behaviour...

Originally posted by phaeton:

SHUDDUP AND GO BACK TO EATING CROW!!!

(j/k) :D

How you doin, offramp?

Okay, except for just having pulled the trigger on selling 60% of my Apple stock because of the beating it's taking.

Depressing and heartbreaking, really. I've held Apple for a long time.

Btw, i had a 65 Galaxie, but i like the 64s better.
I shot that Memorial Day weekend at a car show at a nearby mall. (Bunch of other nice shots, too, of some great rides.) It reminded me a lot of the first car I remember, which was a '64 Ford XL convertible; my parents' first car, had they waited, would've been a 64.5 Mustang. Instead, they neded a car sooner than that, and got the XL. Funny, too...Ford mistakenly shipped the car with a much bigger engine than the 390 Dad ordered. Dealership said "Oh, well...".

I used to ride on the folded-down top, with my feet on the seat, like a parade entrant.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Somehow, though, talking about cars is easier than dealing with the computer world right now.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Still sounds fishy to me, tradivoro. I've never experienced all files suddenly turning read-only in any Windows OS and I've been using Windows since 3.1.

You mentioned DVD and CD burning. Were these read-only files copied from either one of those? Files on a DVD or CD (not the rewritable versions) are by default read-only and I believe if you copy the files from them to your hard drive, it also copies the read-only attributes. If that's the case, then yes, it's a Windows "feature". :) Though you should be able to take off the read-only attribute after it is in your hard drive.

It still wouldn't be a bad idea to scan it for viruses. If you don't want to install an antivirus software, you can download McAfee's free Stinger stand-alone utility:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Burn it to a CD and run the executable (no install needed) and it will scan (and repair) for the most popular viruses and worms. Not the most comprehensive scan, but much better than nothing.

Note: Stinger is updated regularly to include newer viruses.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived