Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first BAD experience with SONAR 4 $%&^$#Grrrrrrrrr....

I HATE Apple products and anything to do with Apple.... :mad: I've been working on a mix all day and I've got the project saved in several formats. I've converted one file to MP3 but noticed in the mp3 version the bass was lower than what I wanted it to be. I reopened the project, which fortunately was fairly complete BEFORE the invasive QuickTime adware popped up and froze up my SONAR during the remix.... I had it exactly like I wanted it, and was ready to export the files into mp3 format again. The ^&$^&_%^%% APPLE invasive technology decided it was time for me to upgrade to a Pro version of QuickTIme right at a point where I was really excited about getting something accomplished.... If this had happened 15 minutes ago before I had saved the entire project; I'd be REAAAAAAAAAALLY P-O'd right now.

I HATE APPLE and everything the promote :mad::mad::mad: Now I've got to go back in and retweak the mix.

BTW, the Apple Quicktime was included in the Sonar 4 installation.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CTRL ALT DEL, see if any Quicktime stuff is running. Click Start. Run. Type "msconfig" no quotes. Click startup tab, uncheck anything with Quicktime in it or potentially QT in it. Apply. Restart. Check if QT is running. No? Enjoy.

A year or two ago I was having some major problems with audio and my laptop. After inquiring here I removed QuickTime and the problems went away. I don't allow it on anything but a second computer at work that runs iTuns.

And a tip, when installing any software, including Sonar, choose custom install and see what it is loading.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I believe Ani is on a PC. I think Sonar is PC only, but I may be wrong. I have not had any such problems either. It's because people need to take the time to maintain their computers and disable apps starting up with Windows boot or by turning off any such option in the app's preferences. It's not Apple's problem, honestly.

I also use Sonar but have no problems with QuickTime. During installation, I configured it to automatically recognize only Apple-specific formats. As it's already installed, here's what you do:

1. Call up QuickTime

2. Go Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences

3. Select File Type Associations from the drop down menu

4. Click on File Types

5. Expand each option and uncheck anything that you normally use in Windows (WAV, AVI, etc.)

That should do it!

I also use Sonar but have no problems with QuickTime. During installation, I configured it to automatically recognize only Apple-specific formats. As it's already installed, here's what you do:

1. Call up QuickTime

2. Go Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences

3. Select File Type Associations from the drop down menu

4. Click on File Types

5. Expand each option and uncheck anything that you normally use in Windows (WAV, AVI, etc.)

That should do it!

Thanks Craig, and everyone else, I just made the modifications plus unchecked the notification of other types of media trying to access files.

I did manage to get everything converted over on the mp3 and after I run it by all the guys on that participated in the project; I may post it for critique. Gotta check with the crew first though :D

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by Phait:

I believe Ani is on a PC. I think Sonar is PC only, but I may be wrong. I have not had any such problems either. It's because people need to take the time to maintain their computers and disable apps starting up with Windows boot or by turning off any such option in the app's preferences. It's not Apple's problem, honestly.

Phait

I have not had nearly as many problems with other media players as with QT. Period. I have had some really ugly experiences with QT. I'm not a naive user. I've been running a PC on a daily basis since 1985 and put my first 8 channel DAW on a PC in 1996.

Other developers seem to be able to design relatively trouble-free media software for the PC. (Although some of them are much more invasive than QT, like RealNetworks.)

All that said, I've had QT and now QT Pro on my laptop without trouble (touch wood) for about a year. This is really a first.

Allow me to second that, Blue.

As a long-time PC user (had an IBM PCjr in 1984) I can say without equivocation that QT is second only to AOL's shell software in terms of absolute instability and resource-hogging on a PC. Plus it is terribly prone to crashing. And further, the point about other developers not having such problems on PC software speaks volumes.

It's kinda like PT used to be - it was patently obvious that the developers really didn't give a whoop if it actually worked on PCs - they likely only tested on the Mac emulation modes, because PC users weren't a priority at that point.

My brother said something to me a long time ago that really made sense; he said that there is an industrial warfare going on between software developers. My brother was an electronic engineering/electrical engineering instructor for the military for several years. I've had programs that were virus free that went in a destroyed .dll and other files that were critical in the fluent operation of competitive software; iTunes has been in the news over this very thing many times over and again. This is a BIG part of why I don't even want to consider iTunes as an option. Here's just a bit of an excerpt about Apple's invasive technologies... and QuickTime is an Apple subsidiary.

Apple has fallen out with MuiscMatch Jukebox - the software of choice for most MP3 jukebox users. The latest version of iTunes (Jan 04) for Windoze actively seeks out and destroys crucial software components and files if it finds MusicMatch software installed on a users computer. It does this without offering a choice, or even notification to you. It sabotages your software that you have paid for behind your back. Unbelievable, but true. MusicMatch are aware of this and they are furious, as are a growing number of Apple faithful who are just beginning to get the sneaking suspicion that they might have been taken for a ride by Apple.

That's not the end of it though. iTunes is a little bit off topic as this page is supposed to be about iPods and how they are not worth the money. Last year a couple of brothers discovered that Apple have taken Planned Obsolescence (where a product is designed specifically to breakdown after a certain amount of time so that the customer has to buy a new one) to a new level when they realised that the locked-in battery in the iPod was never meant to be replaced. That's fine, if its designed to last for 50 years or so, and plenty of iPod users have told us that they intend on listening to their iPod until the day that they die. Let's hope for their sake that they are wrong.

SOURCE

I guess if you were a faithful Apple product supporter, all programs would work together because their written for compatibility among Apple products... I'm a MS user myself.

Gee, I think that Planned Obsolescence on the iPods might merit it's own thread for folks considering buying one. Interesting.

Originally posted by Anderton:

I also use Sonar but have no problems with QuickTime. During installation, I configured it to automatically recognize only Apple-specific formats.

Originally posted by Phait:

I have not had any such problems either. It's because people need to take the time to maintain their computers and disable apps starting up with Windows boot or by turning off any such option in the app's preferences. It's not Apple's problem, honestly.

QT is like anything else, you still need to set things up right for them to work the way you want.

I used a PC exclusively from 1995 to 2000 and had more problems on a weekly basis than I've had total on a Mac in the last 5 years.

Pilot error? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

One last thing... yes, I do work for Apple now, but I worked for Emagic before they were purchased by Apple. I used Logic and Cakewalk on the PC as my music apps, and had access to PC "experts" to assist me in configuring everything correctly, but even with that, things never seemed to work as smoothly on my PC as they did for my friends who were working on Macs.

I don't want to derail this into yet another Mac vs PC thing, I just want to point out that in my professional experience on both the PC and Mac side of things, 99.9% of the time problems can be traced back to user error, or incorrect user configuration.

When you set things up the right way, they usually work like they're supposed to.

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Anifa:

http://www.dukebox.com

Not exactly an unbiased "source".
I read about the issue back when it was fresh in the headlines, and the sources were NOT dukebox. They were more like CNN and other large news reporting agencies; IIRC, it even made the Wall Street Journal. However, it's been a LONG time ago and those topics are not easy to find in a search without knowing the exact phrases to hone in on.

As far as the configuration, I went with the recommended (typical) set up offered on the Sonar 4 Installation disc. I questioned Quicktime when I was prompted for it's inclusion, but thought it might be needed to access certain applications on the Sonar; hence my ONLY reason for enabling it on the install. If it's not used in any of the Sonar functions, it seems it would not be included in their software.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Allow me to second that, Blue.

As a long-time PC user (had an IBM PCjr in 1984) I can say without equivocation that QT is second only to AOL's shell software in terms of absolute instability and resource-hogging on a PC.

Well, I'd like to third that, Blue.

Yes, I am also a long time PC user (had a TRS-80 Color Computer in 1981.....ah....which, while not a PC, did have an operating system by Microsoft :thu: ). Actually, I've never had any stability issues with QT. QT is like RealAudio Lite. But it always worked fine for me.

I ditched it though, because I got tired of all my apps fight over control of the media.

I have noticed that since iTunes came along, QT started getting more invasive.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Quicktime will start up in my sys tray..and I right click and exit it...one of the first things I do when booted. If I use q time again, even if I take it out of "start-up" manually, it will reinsert itself in the sys tray. It is a casual irritant. I did upgrade to pro and in the shuffle, it defaulted back to "non pro" and I just let Vegas 5 open everything from now on out..or windows media 10.

Anifa, you have something in your inbox!!

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

I HATE Apple products and anything to do with Apple.... :mad: ... I HATE APPLE and everything the promote :mad::mad::mad:

That's a lot of hate. It's just a computer.

If you need to hate, there's probably some more worthwhile directions of focus than a machine that only does what you tell it to/let it.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I HATE Apple products and anything to do with Apple.... :mad: ... I HATE APPLE and everything the promote :mad::mad::mad:

That's a lot of hate. It's just a computer.

If you need to hate, there's probably some more worthwhile directions of focus than a machine that only does what you tell it to/let it.

- Jeff

Considering that it had just caused my computer to crash right in the middle of a mixdown and blew everything going; I think that I'm entitled to HATE the machine for the moment! And yes... I told it to do EXACTLY what was prompted in the initial set up of Sonar. I'm sorry, I'm not an expert engineer yet.

Jeff, I don't usually hate for very long :D but I do tend to express my disgust when something is entirely frustrating to me... perhaps the word HATE is a bit harsh; but afterall, it's only a software prograrm that I'm hating and not myself or people. ;) Some people peeve me off more than others, but I don't hate anyone. I usually work my frustrations out in most cases; if not I move on with a different approach and steer clear of those that like to aggitate... Unfortunately I tend to make a fool of myself prior to exiting confrontations with a KNOWN conflict when it presents itself.

BTW, my computer has an 3300+ AMD Athlon 64 processor with 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRam memory. I have a 160 Gig hard drive that is expandable to 320 Gig. I also have another computer that has 512 MB ram and 120 GiG HD. If worse comes to worse, I've got even another one yet that has (I think) a 486 Ram and 80 Gig HD. I'm considering dividing my graphics and design programs onto the 120 Computer and using this 160 Gig one for nothing but music. If I do that, I'll uninstall every program that is unnecessary for this computer to operate; I've got a kid nephew that is an expert IT professional that would probably slick my system for a small fee for encouragement :D

Let me make one small recommendation that may alleviate this particular problem: if you can bump that RAM up to a gig (which, for another 512MB stick, will cost around $75), it's possible that even if you get occasional interruptions, you'll have the juice so that it doesn't affect your other apps as much.

The HD size doesn't matter much in this regard (HD speed is another topic).

afterall, it's only a software prograrm that I'm hating and not myself or people.
All the more reason to be possibly annoyed, rather than hating. Life has many bigger challenges. :)

- Jeff

I think someone already mentioned this but it's worth saying again.

Go to Start>Run>type msconfig>click OK>go to StartUp, and uncheck everything there that's not essential, and of course click apply, and restart.

I think I have SystemTray and UpdReg, and my virus software checked, and that's it. Unchecking all that stuff prevents it from loading at StartUp and running in the background. You can also tell if your computer is getting hosed by a virus, or adware, or if the settings on a program are wrong, if there are things turning themselves on in that StartUp section. There should be nothing there checked but what you've checked.

Sometimes all this PC crap is fun, like a big puzzle, and sometimes it's an incredible pain in the ass.

A few things that bug me about Apple's installer for QT and iTunes is that it creates quick launch icons without your consent, and installs a quickstart for QT that eats up memory in your system tray. Besides that, I haven't noticed any stability issues with either QT or iTunes. Msconfig is a neat way to remove stuff in your regsitry non-destructively, but if you know what you are doing then you might as well as just delete it entirely from the registry: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run'.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

I think there are probably 14 "expert engineers" in the world, with only a few of them posting here. :)

- Jeff

Thank you for ackowledging my brilliance. Me, Pinky and Brain are trying to convert the other 11 sucke...uh disciples, then we'll take over the world.

Regards,

1 of 14.

Deanmass,

It hasn't popped up all day, thanks to Craig and others telling me what I needed to do. Of course, I haven't been working on my projects yet today. The kids go with their dad for the weekend around 5:00 so I'll have some prime time.

Jeff,

I called and checked on the expansion of RAM and they said that most of the newer computers could be expanded out to 4 Gigs... I bought mine this Spring. I'll look into getting it beefed up on the RAM.

Wewus,

I checked the msconfig and Quicktime was no longer present. Craig's little fix suggestion may have nixed the problem.

Everyone, Thanks for the advice; it's greatly appreciated.

NOW, about the effects on the vox.... :o:D Lots to do, lots of practicing, and lots of things to explore. :thu: I'm in heaven, but I'm sure I'll be asking some questions when I can't find what I need in the help menu. I just finished watching the Producer Edition video demo that was included and it's really going to be on a priority list to upgrade when it's offered... hopefully I'll get a good offer as some suggested I wait.

I called and checked on the expansion of RAM and they said that most of the newer computers could be expanded out to 4 Gigs... I bought mine this Spring. I'll look into getting it beefed up on the RAM.

I promise you, NOTHING has had a more drastic effect on the overall stability and performance of my music, graphics, and other memory intensive applications than increasing RAM, even when I am already supposedly more than satisfying the system requirements.

1 gig is what I recommend these days as a minimal amount for excellent performance (though as we all know, you can eaily get by on less). It's just a relatively inexpensive way to avoid frustration, which is always good.

- Jeff

Archived