Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone using pitch-shifting to thicken guitar sounds?

I tried this weekend in Digital Performer to take a single distorted guitar soundbite and copy it to another track. I then used the pitchshift tool to shift the copied track down 2-10 cents.

I read that doing this a few cents up and down would help add a lot of texture to the riff, but the result was just everything sounding out of phase. So I tried to nudge it forward and backward a little at a time, but it still sounded off.

Maybe it needs to be more drastic (25 cents?) Or, maybe this doesnt work at all...don't know.

Anyone using this successfully?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't done it in DP yet, but I used to do it on a Yamaha SPX-90 a number of years ago; strikes me that it was more like 30 to 35 cents. Makes me think I oughta fire the old Spax up and see, when I get home...
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I used to double-track guitars on analog tape with the varispeed, one + and one - just a little bit to thicken it, and it worked wonderfully. A gorgeous sound in the right context.

However, I've never tried to alter them *after* they were recorded, as I did this only in the tracking stage.

Archived