Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Cards for playing sound...no recording

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your getting a new PC most if not all have built in sound which is pretty much the equivalent to a Soundblaster.If you want something better than the built in sound I'd recomend something like M-Audio's Audiophile 24/96 goes for around $99.00 or less these days.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

The Soundblaster is a perfectly acceptable choice for most folks. They probably sound better than most generic sound cards and are the de facto standard for compatability across a wide variety of apps and games.

But, as Alndln points out, once you get up around a hundred dollars, there are other, better sounding alternatives.

i checked out the m-audio and it looks like it uses rca outs, and only up to quad at that. Then it has a bunch of ins that i dont think ill ever use. The soundblaster Audigy ZS is also 24/96 but its 5.1, an extra speaker and a sub. Theres also the mic in, line in, and a firewire port, im not trying to be a dick but i dont see how the maudio compares

The m-audio is going to be better for recording but you're not looking for that. All you want to do is play music and maybe use the card for game sound???, so go with the SoundBlaster, you won't have to jack with settings for the games to play the sound.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The M-Audio 2496 is a very good card for studio use. 2 in/2 out analog, 2 in/2out digital, good quality sound. I bought 10 of them for audio workstations here, and so far they work absolutely great. Came with an older, scaled-down version of Ableton Live & Reason Adapted, too, with discounts on the full versions available.

Yeah, if you want 5.1 sound then you might want to get a SoundBlaster, but Creative's drivers aren't what they used to be - I have removed every Audigy card here at work, because the software just plain sucked - didn't work right, didn't install cleanly - I really expected better from Creative, but oh well..however, I heard about an alternative driver too:

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

Been meaning to try this out to see if it works better - if so, I might find a use for the Audigy cards sitting on a shelf here.

For $155 (including shipping) i picked up The Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs and the logitech x-530, 5.1 speaker package. Not the best speakers but for what i paid, and what the reviews say (5 stars out of five from alot of customer, 150+) they seemed like a good deal. The audigy has 5 out of 5 stars from 160 people. got this at www.newegg.com, dont know if anyone has shopped there, but i got my graphics card there at a great deal, there worth checkin out. thanks for the input everyone.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS THX Sound Card

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/20054007/Images/S01-a.jpg

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS delivers 24-bit ADVANCED HD audio quality playback with incredible 108dB SNR. It delivers the highest resolution audio playback with support for DVD-Audio at 24-bit/192kHz in stereo or 24-bit/96kHz in 5.1 surround in addition to industry leading standards, like THX-certification and Windows Media 9: 24-bit multi-channel audio format.

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS also provides encompassing 7.1 surround sound for Dolby Digital EX as well as DTS-ES supported DVD movies, any DirectSound 3D games, and CMSS 3D virtualized 7.1 stereo music. Musicians will also enjoy true 24-bit recording and low latency ASIO support for the ultimate audio recording platform.

I'm hoping this one will do the trick for feeding into my Sonar 4, at least until I can afford something a little more sophisticated. I just landed this one on eBay for $59.99 + $12.50 shipping... claims are brand new in sealed box.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Anifa, those are good cards for playback. If you spring for the ZS Pro (250) you get the digital inputs for dubbing if you want to do some backup.

I have an editing box that I fitted with one and it is formadable..considering the cost. I was amazed at how quiet it was (good headroom)

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

yea thats what i got, you got a better price tho, but i was getting the speakers from the same place so i was like what the hell. You should be fine with recording with it, but like Bill said you dont get all the inputs. just a line in, which isnt nessicarly bad, assuming your running this from a mixer, youll need to use the rca outs and pick up a rca to 3/8 Y cable from radio shack, thatll still give you stereo and good quality.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

The soundblaster Audigy ZS is also 24/96 but its 5.1, an extra speaker and a sub. Theres also the mic in, line in, and a firewire port, im not trying to be a dick but i dont see how the maudio compares

Well,it may have more i/o options but it's not in the same league converter-wise,not even for playback and you can hear the difference,nor is the Sounblaster in the same league driver wise either.Like I alluded to earlier,most onboard sound tht already comes with most new motherboards offer the same exact converters and some even have the same i/o options making the purchase of an additional consumer card senseless.M-Audio also makes consumer level cards as well called Revolution 5.1 www.midiman.net/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html and Revolution 7.1 www.midiman.net/products/en_us/Revolution71-main.html

Originally posted by Anifa:

I'm hoping this one will do the trick for feeding into my Sonar 4, at least until I can afford something a little more sophisticated. I just landed this one on eBay for $59.99 + $12.50 shipping... claims are brand new in sealed box.

The drivers are nothing but problems with Sonar unfortunately,but some people have them working to some degree.Like Dylan said,you couldv'e snagged an M-Audio Audiophile for around the same price.Personally I'd sell the Soundblaster ASAP as it's not really the way you want to start things off.

Archived