Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar 4 Producer Edition vs. Sonar 4 Studio Edition

While reviewing the specs, the only difference that I can really see is that the Producer Edition comes equipped with full surround sound capabilities; is this the main difference between the two products?

I watched a video on Cakewalk's web site and it showed a virtual Roland that was included in the software for the Producer Edition; I didn't see a video for the Studio Edition... is the virtual Roland also available in Studio Edition? I have a stand alone Roland VS880EX recorder so I'm familiar with the set up.

Does the surround sound capabilities really make up for the difference in price between the two products? There's $500 difference between the Producer Edition and the Studio Edition; for a first time user of the product, would it actually be worth the money to buy the advanced product? Would I be better off to start with the Studio version?

Any other suggestions for computerized music programs that are comparible?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Anifa:

While reviewing the specs, the only difference that I can really see is that the Producer Edition comes equipped with full surround sound capabilities; is this the main difference between the two products?

There's a bit more,there's also the MPEX time stretching in Producer,and apart from the surround version of the Lexicon Pantheon reverb you also get the full stereo version while you only get the ?Le version in Sonar Studio

I watched a video on Cakewalk's web site and it showed a virtual Roland that was included in the software for the Producer Edition; I didn't see a video for the Studio Edition... is the virtual Roland also available in Studio Edition?

Yes
I have a stand alone Roland VS880EX recorder so I'm familiar with the set up.
The Roland TTS-1 is a virtual GM synth.You might be thinking if the Studioware panels that has a virtual VS880 which basically lets you sync to your VS880 and use the virtual one to control everything.Somewhat useful if you want to transfer some of your Roland projects over to Sonar.

Does the surround sound capabilities really make up for the difference in price between the two products?

Only if you plan on working in surround.
for a first time user of the product, would it actually be worth the money to buy the advanced product?
Not unless you have definite plans on working in surround,in fact Iv'e been using Cakewalk products since Pro Audio 7 and even I wish I opted for the Studio version since i don't really use any of the extra features or surround and mostly use 3rd party plugins and instruments anyway.
Would I be better off to start with the Studio version?
It may not be necessary,but here's a comparison chart www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/studio.asp

Any other suggestions for computerized music programs that are comparible?

You might want to check out Mackie's Traktion at www.mackie.com There are also plenty of others like Steinbergs Cubase,Magix Samplitude etc.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Thank you very much Alndln. I have an opportunity to purchase the Producer Edition from a retailer for $599.00 or the Studio Edition for $299.00. The programs are new and in unopened boxes. The Studio Edition comes with an added bonus of "1 - IK Multimedia Amplitube Live ($129.00 value!)" While the Producer Edition comes with "1 - IK Multimedia Amplitube Live ($129.00 value!) AND this 2 Free Smart Loop CD's with the Purchase of Sonar 4 Producer Edition. " if I order prior to May 31. There are only one of each available so I'll not list the retailer until I make my decision. ;)

As to the other platforms you mentioned, overall, which program do you think a new user would adjust quickly to in the conversion from hard disk recorders to computerized engineering?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

FYI: $599 and $299 are the going rates for Sonar. Sweetwater, AMS, & Zzounds sell it for that price. AMS & Zzounds, however, are also selling a competitive upgrade on the Producer Edition until May 31, which you can get for $499, including the loop CDs.

Originally posted by Christopher Robin:

FYI: $599 and $299 are the going rates for Sonar. Sweetwater, AMS, & Zzounds sell it for that price. AMS & Zzounds, however, are also selling a competitive upgrade on the Producer Edition until May 31, which you can get for $499, including the loop CDs.

Thanks Chris, the only other place I checked for a price listing was directly off of the Cakewalk web site where I watched the video. I'll check Sweetwater.

Ani, the Home Studio version is probably fine for what you need, and much cheaper. I'm sure they have an upgrade path if you decide later that you need more. It's not like you're buying a mixer, where you have to plan for the future. It's software. But what you need for now, pick up the rest later IF you need it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Okay, now I'm confused. I had spoke with the initial retailer (being Musician's Friend) prior to Chris posting the comparible prices available on the other sites. My main reason for looking up Musician's Friend prices is because I have the Clearance Center right here in Kansas City and within 15 minutes of a drive to where I could have instant access to the gear. When MF asked what operating system I used and whether I was equipped with an external sound card; they suggested that I look at Presonas with the Cubase LE that provided an 8 channel interface that would allow multiple mic/instrument input simultaneously. With the Sonar 4, they recommended that I look at additional hardware to accomplish the results I was looking to achieve. I questioned using my Roland to feed the instruments into the computer, but was told that the transfer would be combined and the "mix" would be set.

After Chris's post, I called Sweetwater and inquired about Sonar 4 and again was led to the Presonas package that included Cubase LE. To get the Sonar 4, plus purchase an external interface... recommended as Presonas, it would cost about $900.00 for the two components. The Presonas with Cubase LE is $599.00 and provides the same sound card as what I'd have to buy for the Sonar.

Both techs that I talked to at MF and SW told me that Pro Tools was their platform of choice and both stated that it was a more stable platform than any other.

Originally posted by Super 8:

Ani, the Home Studio version is probably fine for what you need, and much cheaper. I'm sure they have an upgrade path if you decide later that you need more. It's not like you're buying a mixer, where you have to plan for the future. It's software. But what you need for now, pick up the rest later IF you need it.

Super, I bought Cakewalk Home Studio 9 some years back and ended up using my Roland. I'm looking for PRO gear because I'm in the process of converting my garage into a studio; I have also aquired DVD movie making ability and I want the sound quality to be there.

FYI, if you're a "registered Cakewalk customer" the price for Sonar 4 Producer at Cakewalk.com drops to $349. If you buy another Cakewalk product first (say Pyro for $50 - a useful tool BTW) you become a registered Cakewalk customer and then the lower pricing for Sonar will apply on a subsequent order.

Edit...I just re-read and, if you already bought any version or Cakewalk Pro Audio and registered it, you oughta be able to get the $349 price directly.

None more black.

I own Pro Audio 9 and upgraded to Sonar 4 for $150.00 directly through Cakewalk. You just need your registered serial number from PA 9 to do this.

I didn't need surround or the set of plugs really so went with the Studio version. It's also missing the PoweR dither which I'd like to have, but not worth the price difference.

Ani, I was faced with the same decision path, myself.

I ended up buying S4 for $80 and then I got an upgrade offer a week later to Pro for a hundred and I took it. (Can't guarantee you'll get the same upgrade offer, of course.)

One thing you should propbably consider is that Sonar 5 will no doubt be coming out late this year.

I wasn't interested in surround at all, but the enhanced dithering option was tempting.

But the reality of it was that the extra I've used most frequently has been the Sonitus plugs. They're all very clean, professional and mostly really easy to use and they sound good, too. (The addition of a VST wrapper made them a little less critical, since I could finally scoop up a lot of the free VST plugs out there, some of them also quite good.) But the sonitus plugs are a very well rounded, carefully thought out collection.

BTW, here's a thread I started when I was pondering the same decision:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/023327.html

There are a lot of good opinions and insights offered up by Sonar 4 Pro users in it...

I second theblue1. The Sonitus plugs were, for me, the main reason to go with S4 PE. Of course, I was upgrading from PA 9, so the difference was only 100--well worth it just for the effects.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

theBlue1,

Wherever did you find Sonar 4 for $80.00? That sounds like a great price for something like that. From all that I see on the Cakewalk site, the Sonar 4 Studio starts at $479.00.

It's been so long since I have had the Home Studio 9 out that I had to search to find the disk. I have the key code, but the Cakewalk web site is calling for the serial number; I lost the stored information on that computer when I refomatted the hard drive due to a horrendous virus that consumed it; I had never printed the registration number out. The original serial number was on the registration card that I either sent in or threw away after registering online... I'm pretty sure I registered the product. I don't know if I would be able to locate the serial number if I were to reinstall the program onto the Windows 98 platform I gave to my son or not... He's pretty hard on computers at age 14 :D Even if I could get the program to boot up okay, I don't know if I could locate the serial number in the properties or not. It would probably be more hassle trying to get that old computer fired up and running, than it would be to just buy a cheap Cakewalk product for the sake of getting reregistered to where I know the registration number without going through the headaches.

Something that I thought about... whenever I bought all my computer gear earlier this year, I purchased a rewards program at Best Buy. I have some bonus bucks that are waiting to be spent... I need to use them before they expire. I checked to see what Cakewalk products Best Buy carried, and they offer Kinetics which looks like something that might be able to be used in conjunction with Sonar. It would not be much more on top of the bonus bucks I have to apply to the purchase. They also have a home studio (about the equivalent of MusicMatch or likewise) that I would have more than enough bonus bucks to buy the program just to get something registered. Is the Kinetics program a worthwhile investment to add to Sonar 4?

I browsed Cakewalk's web site again and the current Home Studio Version 2 XL looked pretty interesting in the fact that it offers a music transcriber built into the software. That would be awesome if it is an effective tool. I'm not sure how the software would be able to detect the notes being played without a special interface and a compatible instrument, but it'd be worth looking into. Does Sonar 4 have that ability; I didn't see it listed in the specs?

What about the preamps that I would need?

Actually, I just revisited the Cakewalk web site again and read their write up on Kinetic. Is this program something like the "Band in a Box" program that was out quite some time ago? I remember playing with BIB on a friends' computer one time and thought is was interesting. I never bothered buying that program because I was more interested hardware at the time.

Kinetics I don't know about.

The $80 Sonar 4 was an upgrade for registered Sonar users. There's a similar offer ending the 30th (Monday):

http://sfi0.com/images/CKW/1496/#1

Yeah, you might do very well indeed with one of the 'lesser' packages from CW. I've often heard a lot of good stuff about these packages from people who have specific needs. (Some are oriented to audio and not MIDI and also vice versa, I think. Some have differing loop studio capabilities.) Sonar is really attempting to cover all the bases.

There are a lot of good, affordable tools now that do what they do so much better than even high end software did 5 or 6 years ago.

Thanks a bunch guys, over the next few weeks I'll be looking very extensively at which platform will be the best for what I'm looking to achieve. I did notice a few things not listed on Cakewalks' site for the Sonar 4 PE on a site that sells the student version

The definitive audio production environment on the Windows platform. SONAR Producer Edition has a well-earned reputation for delivering powerful production tools in a fast, streamlined user interface. With SONAR 4, Cakewalk has added powerful new recording, editing, comping and navigation tools that optimize workflow for today's professional. In addition, version 4 combines innovative surround and AV capabilities along with precise engineering tools. SONAR 4 Producer Edition is the perfect solution for composing, recording, editing, mixing, and remixing music productions; and for providing voice over, score, sound design and post audio for film, TV, video, commercials, and games. With its open support for industry standard technologies and hardware, the scalability of a native processing system, and virtually unlimited software capabilities, SONAR 4 Producer Edition represents the definitive audio production environment on the Windows platform.

There are two very prominent features that caught my interest. I notice that the PE mentions "score" in this write up, so the transcribing is probably included in this package; I'll have to inquire with Cakewalk during business hours. One thing that is catching MY attention on the PE is the fact that it has sound editing and enhancement features for Audio Visual... with me dabbling a bit now with the creation of video DVD's; this might well be worth the extra. If I can pick up the Kinetics for less than $50.00 after my bonus bucks are applied, and then qualify for a Cakewalk registered user discount and pick the PE up for around $379.00 to $400.00 I may go ahead and indulge. Otherwise, the project studio version of the Home Studio Version 2 XL looks like it would probably suffice.

Super... my apologies; there have been many advancements made in the home studio versions that were not offered before. We'll see how things go... but I'm really looking at that Sonar 4 PE; maybe I can save up some money for a nice 8+ channel preamp while I'm learning to use the programs.

I'll second the notion that the Sonitus Effects more than justify the cost difference between the Studio and Producer edition. All the other differences are more frosting on the cake.

The word on HomeStudio 2XL is it's pretty much what Sonar 2.2 was/is. Like S2.2 it doesn't come with the

VST Adapter which is a must have in my book.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Originally posted by Anifa:

Just out of curiosity... if you buy directly from Cakewalk, do they offer tech support? If not, I'll probably be asking some questions when I get the gear. :o

I think the general concensus is they have good tech support and a very good Support Forum which is mostly user support but cake staff watch over it and contribute at times.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I bought S4 Studio from www.digitraxx.com for $269.

Then, a week after I registered it with Cakewalk, I got a $99 upgrade to Producer in the email inbox.

This = SONAR 4 PE for $359.00

Do what I did.

(PS-- that site is awesome, BTW-- I've bought a lot from there, and all has been new-in-box perfect...just a small e-tailer out of Indianapolis--- I love the interweb)

:thu:

( HERE\'S the link to their Cakewalk page

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Okay....

I just discovered that on the Cakewalk web site, registered users of Cakewalk products can purchase directly from Cakewalk:

Sonar 4 PE for $359.00

Sonar 4 SE for $149.00

and yet

Home Studio Version 2 XL is $169.00 :confused: $20 bucks higher to get a project studio version than an Pro studio version :freak:

I've looked over that Kinetic product quite a bit and I'm going to go ahead and purchase it from Best Buy for $79.00 ( minus the money I have to spend in bonus bucks) to get myself registered.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by mdlestat:

I bought S4 Studio from www.digitraxx.com for $269.

Then, a week after I registered it with Cakewalk, I got a $99 upgrade to Producer in the email inbox.

This = SONAR 4 PE for $359.00

Do what I did.

(PS-- that site is awesome, BTW-- I've bought a lot from there, and all has been new-in-box perfect...just a small e-tailer out of Indianapolis--- I love the interweb)

:thu:

( HERE\'S the link to their Cakewalk page

Thanks for the tip. Your post helped me make up my mind on which application to buy and I just ordered Sonar Studio -- best price around :thu:

Archived