Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budget 2 - track live recording ideas

Need a good 2 track live recorder to do 2 track recordings for bands that I engineer for. Did live to cassette and then graduated to DAT, but the band folks ultimately want it on CD and so that requires me to fly it from DAT to a HD recording system, post the gig...so it takes too long.

There any other options for some good quality 2 - track recordings?? MD I considered, but hate working with those small portable pocket sized units. Cant even make out what the display screen is showing in the dark confines of pubs & bars where I record. Tascam have a bigger 1 rack unit sized, rack mounting MD recording unitcosts a fortune I think.

I record for about 2 hours straight..and have a budget of about 700$ max.

Any ideas..???

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check into the Marantz units, which record .wav files directly to Compact Flash cards. then you just connect the thing via USB to your computer and drag them in, burn them to CD, and that's it. The Edirol is a more limited version of this but are not quite available yet. One of the Marantz units is selling for around US$499, and another one for about US$600, I believe.

Ignore what I wrote. This is what happens when I post at work..........for some reason I thought you were doing live FIELD recordings. I'd also look into the Alesis...but there's also a Tascam unit that just came out. I don't know if either of these are within your price range, but it's worth looking into.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Check into the Marantz units, which record .wav files directly to Compact Flash cards. then you just connect the thing via USB to your computer and drag them in, burn them to CD, and that's it. The Edirol is a more limited version of this but are not quite available yet. One of the Marantz units is selling for around US$499, and another one for about US$600, I believe.

The Marantz seems ok...think the Masterlink would go beyond my budget..must see what they retail for..

Marantz have a couple of models in the same flash card category...seems ok...you used one in the past..??

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

No, I've never used the Marantz units at all. I've ordered the Edirol R-1, but it's not shipping yet. The Marantz has a 660 and 670 model. I don't remember the exact prices - I think one is US$500, the other US$600 - and they have pretty good features, including XLR mic preamps and other stuff. The Edirol does not have XLR mic preamps.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

No, I've never used the Marantz units at all. I've ordered the Edirol R-1, but it's not shipping yet. The Marantz has a 660 and 670 model. I don't remember the exact prices - I think one is US$500, the other US$600 - and they have pretty good features, including XLR mic preamps and other stuff. The Edirol does not have XLR mic preamps.

Was reading through the Marantz Faq's and looks like you can't record over the flash media, like DAT and MD. It's seems like a one time only sort of affair. Would work good for the kind of aplication i menioned. The Alesis Masterlink being a much more professional option on the whole.

What do you think would work for Location 2 track recording, high quality samples, say 24 bit/ 96 Khz and with recording duration times of say 2 hours and also that would run on battery power with the ability to be charged at the end of a day's worth of location recording. The venues might be remote locations thereby forcing us to use battery power. Might have to do some location recording, so am on the lookout for some gear for that as well.

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

Not sure how you got that idea about the Marantz units, but it's certainly not the case. Sometimes some of that corporate info stuff is written by the marketing guys who don't know a byte from a bite on the...er, well, you know. ;)

Originally posted by theblue1:

Not sure how you got that idea about the Marantz units, but it's certainly not the case. Sometimes some of that corporate info stuff is written by the marketing guys who don't know a byte from a bite on the...er, well, you know. ;)

This is where...might be a mess up though

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1582&Tab=FAQ

answer to the first question in their FAQ section.

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

Originally posted by Geenard:

Cassette!

Welcome to the third world..!!!

You'll find a lot of stuff here that should have been put into retirement long time ago...

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

I know a guy who uses a Nomad Jukebox to record all the time and it works great for live, two-track recording. Even battery-powered. I think it has 20GB or 30GB hard drive. On Ebay, can be had refurbished for $150.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOSMR8HD

The Specs:

Product Description

The new MR-8HD offers recording to 40GB an internal 3.5 in. hard drive. It offers more than 15 hours of 8-track recording with CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz). Up to 4 tracks can be recorded simultaneously. A new push-dial button makes for easier menu operation.

Features

Recording to 40GB internal 3.5 in. HD offering more than 15 hours of 8-track recording with CD quality (16 bit/44.1kHz).

4-track simultaneous recording

Simple and intuitive operational environment inherited from MR-8 with the new push-dial button for easier menu operation.

Full-track (8-track) bouncing to a New Song (track7/8)

128 x 64 dot LCD

USB port for stereo WAV file transfer between MR-8HD and PC allowing full access to the whole HD from PC

WAV Manager software available for multiple mono files transfer between MR-8HD and PC

S/PDIF digital out for digital mastering

Built-in digital effects including reverb, delay as well as guitar amp and microphone simulations

Dedicated analog guitar distortion knob

Twin headphones outs

USB Host function for external CD burning

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by alfonso:

I find this one very very tempting.....together with a 2gig Flash card you could record 125mins at 24 bits....and you have stuff as files....yum.

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

I think Ken has suggested the same in an earlier post on this same thread. Looks like delivery is only in July for the same...

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

Yes, that is the one I recommended earlier in this thread. The beauty part of it is that you simply hook it up to your computer and drag the files on to it. No software is required. Sounds good and convenient and fast. But I don't know when this is shipping.

I find this one very very tempting.....together with a 2gig Flash card you could record 125mins at 24 bits....and you have stuff as files....yum.

My Edirol R1 is supposed to arrive next week. I already have a 1 & 2 Gb flash cards waiting to be recorded on. I will try and remember to come back and give a review of it.

GY

Originally posted by GY:

My Edirol R1 is supposed to arrive next week. I already have a 1 & 2 Gb flash cards waiting to be recorded on. I will try and remember to come back and give a review of it.
a review would be good..

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

Well a budget two track recording setup in a cassette format ain't all that terrible unless you're worried that someone will see you using a cassette recorder. I've heard tons of live recordings done by a friend who mixes the house sound at a nice club in Austin, done on cassette and sound GREAT. Third world or not, it does work and nicely. I guess it matters what you put into it that makes the difference. Dunno......
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Geenard:

Well a budget two track recording setup in a cassette format ain't all that terrible unless you're worried that someone will see you using a cassette recorder. I've heard tons of live recordings done by a friend who mixes the house sound at a nice club in Austin, done on cassette and sound GREAT. Third world or not, it does work and nicely. I guess it matters what you put into it that makes the difference. Dunno......

Actually was supplied a real crappy tape deck to record on over the last weekend and it was an awesome band playing. The final rec had an insane amount of hiss and the whole hassle of having to dump everything from tape to HD and then burn a CD. Have used some real good tape decks in the past, but CD's are used everywhere and most folks don't even own a tape deck these days...that way...More convenient with a CD.

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

Archived