Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ebay scammer hijacked my account!

As the title says, I woke up this morning with emails telling me that my ebay account had been hijacked by someone called Laura Craft! :mad:

Apparently Ebay caught them at it as they listed stuff on my account and changed all my personal details but couldn't get my bank account details but it still didnt stop them from trying to change everything to the US!

Its taken me all morning to sort out and with the passwords changed by these loosers on my ebay account, I have had to re-rest every password on my PC just to double safe guard they didnt get anything of my PC.

I am fuming today so is there anyway I can stop people doing this and also how do I get them back for being total wankers and stealing from me! :mad:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what I noticed when I saw the emails coming to my account with Dear Laura Craft written on them and clocked on straight away!

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me.

The first time, someone in the States hijacked my account and put out up a new Harley for sale and I ended up with the fees of nearly $100 for the listing but I managed to sort it out with Ebay by being on the phone to the States all night.

These tossers make me sick! :mad:

That's sure a bad stroke of luck that it has happened to you twice. Has this happened to anyone else you know? I wonder what the odds are. Kind of like lightening striking the same place twice.

I'm betting that the scammers get their information from the eBay site and not off of your computer. My guess is that a good hacker can find their way into eBay's files. I really don't know what any of us can do about it except make sure that eBay is aware. Hopefully, they are working to shore up their glitches.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Tghis is what was sent to me with a lot more details as to how to change details in my account aswell as numerous pasword requests but whoever this tosser is, couldn't figure out how to get the password activated as only I can do that via the email account that i registered with hense I got those emails instead.

The email from Ebay says:

It appears your account was taken over by a third party, and used to place several unauthorised listings. Additionally, the email address on your account may have been tampered with, which is why you may not have received an email about these listings. We have restored your eBay account at this time.

Please complete the following instructions to regain control of your account:

First, please change the password on your EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone other than you.

After you have changed the password on your email account, request a new password from eBay, using this procedure:

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

I get tons, literally TONS, of spoof emails from "EBAY" and "PAYPAL" saying shit like this, and it's NOT TRUE!!!

They just want you to enter your password so they can hijack it!!! Any "authorized email" from Ebay or Paypal...forward it IMMEDIATELY to spoof@ebay.com.

No shit, I get 3 ebay or paypal scams for every ONE "I am Dr. Milton Ngobe of Nigeria" scam. They all LOOK like official Ebay mail...the address EVEN COMES FROM "support@ebay.com"...but it's ALL BULLSHIT!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Ted, that Email was a real one.

I never fall for the ones telling you to send details etc...

It alerted me to my account being hacked into as it had alot more said in it which I didnt add above.

It doesnt ask for any details to be added to any sites he had links to.

It just basically told me my account was hijacked and to go to my ebay account and change all the paswords and they were correct, it was hijacked.

I get the "hijacked account" spam often. Since I don't have an eBay or Paypal account, it means something else... that someone spoofed my email address. Not a good thing, but I'm not out any money, which is all that really matters.

- Jeff

Shars,

I'm with Tedster, Wow, and Jeff on this one. I get emails like that too, for both eBay and PayPal, but I never click any links inside of the emails themselves. I have both accounts bookmarked and login to the original pages where initiated the accounts. That way I KNOW that I'm not getting spoofed.

You didn't follow any of the links inside of the email did you?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Very sucky of humans to be that way.

Somehow, somewhat, you are going to need to beef up the internet security.

Scotland yard needs notification...at once.

This is cruel and unusual punishment and costed you hours of valuble time.

I feel for you Shars..

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Very sucky of humans to be that way.

Somehow, someway, you are going to need to beef up the internet security.

Scotland yard needs notification...at once.

This is cruel and unusual punishment and costed you hours of valuble time.

I feel for you my dear Shars..

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Ani

I didnt click any of the links in the email but I knew it was a real email as the whole email says the following:

Dear *Blanked it myself by the way* (*********@aol.com),

It appears your account was taken over by a third party, and used to place several unauthorised listings. Additionally, the email address on your account may have been tampered with, which is why you may not have received an email about these listings. We have restored your eBay account at this time.

Please complete the following instructions to regain control of your account:

First, please change the password on your EMAIL account to verify that it is secure and cannot be accessed by anyone other than you.

After you have changed the password on your email account, request a new password from eBay, using this procedure:

- Click on the Help link at the top of most eBay pages and follow the provided links using the path:

Topics > My Account > My Personal Information > Updating Registration Information > If You Forget Your Password

- Click on the online form link from the If You Forget Your Password page.

- Enter your User ID. You will then be asked to answer one of a number of questions to verify your identity.

- After answering one of the questions, an email will be sent to you that will allow you to complete your password change.

Note: If you do not receive this password email, check the spam filtering settings on your email account to see if the filter is preventing receipt of email from eBay. After you have resolved any issues that may be preventing you from receiving this email, use the Send me password instructions link and request the instructions again.

Once you've changed your email and eBay passwords, change your Secret Question and Answer by following these instructions:

1. Click on the 'site map' link located on top of the navigation bar on most eBay pages.

2. Scroll down the site map until you see the 'My eBay' heading in the middle column.

3. Click on the 'Change my Secret Question and Answer' link located under the My eBay heading and follow those instructions.

Finally, please verify that the contact information we have on file for you is correct. If necessary, your contact information may be updated by following these instructions:

1. Click on the 'site map' link located on top of the navigation bar on most eBay pages.

2. Scroll down the site map until you see the 'My eBay' heading in the middle column.

3. Click on the 'Change my registration information' link located under the My eBay heading and follow those instructions.

We were able to end all unauthorised listings on your account without incident. At the time, the listings were ended and all associated fees were credited to your account. Concerning your credit card information, we assure you that this information is stored on a secure server and cannot be viewed by anyone.

Let me suggest a few ways this take-over could have occurred:

First, there have recently been a number of email messages sent to eBay members asking for user IDs and passwords. These unsolicited and spoofed messages appear to come from eBay Support, but in fact are not. eBay would never ask for sensitive information of this nature via email.

Second, if you use a fairly simple or easy-to-guess password, it's possible someone could have guessed it after repeated attempts. For this reason, it's important to use a password that uses a combination of letters and numbers making it very difficult to guess. The same applies for the password hint question. It's also important to use different passwords for the various online accounts you use (email, Billpoint, PayPal, etc).

Last, there are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log and record keystrokes. It's recommended that computer users keep their virus alert software up-to-date, and check their system often for problems. A firewall for high-speed internet users is also highly recommended.

Any inquiries regarding your password, fees or other information about your account should be directed to the Customer Support webform at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/basics/select-support.html

If you are contacted with questions about the listings that were placed on your account or other related issues, please have those individuals contact us through the Rules and Safety webform at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/basics/select-RS.html

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this matter.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

eBay International AG

When i checked my bookmarks to where i go to ebay to like yourself, I found that the email i got was correct, my account details had the name and address of a Laura Craft and also she had attempted to change my password for my account twice but that generated another email sent to me saying that the password had tried to be changed but she didnt have access to my email account so couldnt change the email password let alone the ebay account password. She also tried to change to another email account to get my incoming emails but that wasnt going to happen as Ebay were onto her.

I am really careful as to my details and everything is changed at least once a week so it cant be figured out and I NEVER click in emails that ask for details, thats just out right stupidity!

The 2nd email I got was this when this person was trying to retrieve my password and change it:

Dear *************,

Thank you for submitting your change of email address request. Instructions on completing the change have been

sent to your new email address. Once the process is completed, your eBay-related email will no longer be routed to

this email address.

If you did not make this change, check with family members and others who may have access to your account first. If

you still feel that an unauthorised person has changed your email, get help here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/problems-account-theft.html

Thank you for using eBay!

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/

Change of email address request was made from:

IP Address: 193.138.218.33 - ISP Host: 193.138.218.33

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This administrative eBay notice was sent to **************@aol.com.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Privacy Policy ==> http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/privacy-policy.html

User Agreement ==> http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html

Protect yourself from Spoof (fake) e-mails.

Learn More: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/spooftutorial

Copyright © 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

The I got this one:

Dear Laura Craft,

This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to your request to recover your password. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step in the password recover process.

To reset your password and access your account, follow these steps:

1.Click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser.

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/pass/$1$20950/DLPaqtxfV8Zwz1.a

The link will take you to our Change Password page.

2.Fill in the appropriate fields to reset your password and click Submit. You will then be able to access your account.

If you did not forget your password, please ignore this email.

This request was made from:

IP address: 193.138.218.33

ISP host: 193.138.218.33

Thank you for using eBay!

http://pages.ebay.com/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

So you can see, I got alerted as soon as I got my emails this morning and changed everything on ebay as well as my personal email accounts aswell as PayPal.

Same thing happened to me and Ebay cancelled my account...WOULD NOT BELIEVE THAT IT WAS NOT ME!!! I had lots and lots of transactions and all positive feedback beforehand...went back in forth with them and they never activated my account again..I had to sing up for another new account..Starting from scratch..This was about 2 years ago..Watch out. :(

Originally posted by Tedster:

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

I get tons, literally TONS, of spoof emails from "EBAY" and "PAYPAL" saying shit like this, and it's NOT TRUE!!!

They just want you to enter your password so they can hijack it!!! Any "authorized email" from Ebay or Paypal...forward it IMMEDIATELY to spoof@ebay.com.

No shit, I get 3 ebay or paypal scams for every ONE "I am Dr. Milton Ngobe of Nigeria" scam. They all LOOK like official Ebay mail...the address EVEN COMES FROM "support@ebay.com"...but it's ALL BULLSHIT!!!

Me too! Be very careful!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Shars,

I ran a search on the IP address you supplied as being the one attempting the change of address on your emails. Within your post, I noticed a couple of different areas where the emails from EBay identified the IP address as being identical for each access meaning that it's a static address to a specific computer connection. The IP address provided falls within the range of addreses owned by Evolva Telecom listed in the information below. This appears to be an Internet Service Provider, or an independent server that hosts multiple IP addresses.

193-138-218-33.evolva.ro

Host reachable, 181 ms. average

193.138.216.0 - 193.138.219.255

Evolva Telecom

Bd. Decebal nr.14, Bucharest

Romania

| Abuse reports: abuse@evolva.ro |

Sebastian Petrescu

Evolva Telecom

Bd. Decebal nr 14

Bucharest, RO

phone: +40-74-2200227

serghei@evolva.ro

Sebastian Petrescu

Evolva Telecom

Bd. Decebal nr 14

Bucharest, RO

phone: +40-74-2200227

serghei@evolva.ro

EVOLVA

Source: whois.ripe.net

:wave:

You might check with Ebay to see if they are currently investigating the abuse to find out what they can tell you.

At least you know now which country to trace this back to, as far as the server goes.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Shars, I did not read anywhere in this thread anyone asking if you have run all the reasonable antispyware and antivirus scans you could think of to make sure your system isn't running a key-logger. Have you? Just curious. Twice in a short period of time is rather odd.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Shars,

Audiomaverick might be on to something with his mention of running an anti spyware program. I hope you get this thing resolved soon so that it doesn't hit sneak in on you and do some real damage.

Yup.

I have ran all my spyware software and have installed all antiviruses and firewalls you can think of and my systems clear as it has to be cause its my buisness computer so we have everything installed and the plus side is that its overlooked by by a friend of my mine whos the head of NTL Security for the UK so he knows when theres something odd going on.

Ani, I will see what Ebay has to say about this, thanks for all your help.

Right, I have reported the above info that Ani provided to my firend at NTL Security who also works for AOL and BT Open World (he was responsible for putting in place their security features recently) and he has the powers to have their connections disconnected with no prospect of getting any connection from anyone as they go on a watch list I beleive if they use another ISP etc aswell as takeing legal action.

Lets see what happens to these bastards now!

Archived