Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do I Format Drive C:???Let's go to the Windows is not shutting down thread....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put your WinXP CD in the computer.

Turn the computer on.

If necessary, hit Delete and go into the BIOS to enable boot from CD. Most likely if the computer is new you will get an option to boot from the CD without having to go into the BIOS.

Once you boot from with WinXP CD you can format your C drive.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

Put your WinXP CD in the computer.

Turn the computer on.

If necessary, hit Delete and go into the BIOS to enable boot from CD. Most likely if the computer is new you will get an option to boot from the CD without having to go into the BIOS.

Once you boot from with WinXP CD you can format your C drive.

Excelent!! :thu:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Originally posted by Dylan:

You can also use a Windows 98/ME boot disk and run fdisk and then the format command to format a hard drive. Here\'s a good boot disk that I've used before.

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

How do I format drive C???
Answer: Very, very carefully.
True.

As mentioned earlier, put the XP installation disc in the CD ROM drive and reboot the machine. It gives you the option to boot from the CD ROM by hitting 'any' key (some people actually look for a key labelled 'any'). :freak:

You want to do a quick format - probably with NTFS as opposed to FAT32.

This will erase your disk and prepare it for loading the operating system.

You don't have to mess with FDISK at all.

If your system doesn't offer the option to boot from the CD ROM, as mentioned, you'll have to go into the BIOS settings and make a small (easy) change.

After formatting, continue on with the XP installation. Then go to the Windows Update web site and download all the service packs and additional updates... No Problem!

Report back, ViLo. Don't get frustrated. Many a musician has been known to throw their computer out the 2nd story window. Of course, most of these were APPLE MACHINES! :eek::D

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

How do I format drive C???
Answer: Very, very carefully.
True.

As mentioned earlier, put the XP installation disc in the CD ROM drive and reboot the machine. It gives you the option to boot from the CD ROM by hitting 'any' key (some people actually look for a key labelled 'any'). :freak:

You want to do a quick format - probably with NTFS as opposed to FAT32.

This will erase your disk and prepare it for loading the operating system.

You don't have to mess with FDISK at all.

If your system doesn't offer the option to boot from the CD ROM, as mentioned, you'll have to go into the BIOS settings and make a small (easy) change.

After formatting, continue on with the XP installation. Then go to the Windows Update web site and download all the service packs and additional updates... No Problem!

Report back, ViLo. Don't get frustrated. Many a musician has been known to throw their computer out the 2nd story window. Of course, most of these were APPLE MACHINES! :eek::D

Tom

DOne! Thanks evreything went fine, but windows still not shutting down properly :confused:

This is a new MoBO with new processor pentium 4 1.8.........

Why don't we close out this thread and stay on the other one? I confuse easily. :freak:

Besides, I could use a drink. Can I buy you one, ViLo? :P

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Vilo, if windows is not shutting down correctly and promply, enter your bios and look for some signs of trouble.

Start computer from dead...push delete several times (as starting at first) and you should get bios screen. Look around some and tell me what you see!

Email is fine too.

new track in email :)

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Why don't we close out this thread and stay on the other one? I confuse easily. :freak:

Besides, I could use a drink. Can I buy you one, ViLo? :P

Tom

OK...let's go to the other thread, the drinks are on me....

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030329/f3337_1272.jpg

Archived