Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PERL865, Intel Monitor and Zone 2 overheating

I would like to build a DAW and after extensive research am more confused than ever!

Initially looked at ASUS P4P800SE with Northwood P4 (cooler) but learnt that PERL865 was ultimate in stability. Subsequently found Zone 2 overheating issue on some threads with Intel Monitor. As such come here for advice.

Would like to build following:-

1. PERL865 or PERLL865

2. P4 Northwood with HT running with 800FSB (2.4C/2.8C/3C - best bang per buck?)

3. 2 x 512 sticks 3200 (400) DDR RAM Corsair/Kingston - advice please

4. SATA 120Gb HD Barracuda IV

5. EMU 1820M interface with Rode NT1 for acoustic guitar and vovals.

Any comments most welcome. Partic with ref to zone 2. Is this a red herring?

Thanks in advance.

Lee.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the 865Perl for my DAW and it's rock solid. I remember at one time using their active monitor tool and having it report that the system was having heating problems. I have since then redone my DAW without installing that app and I haven't had any cooling problems that I am aware of. I am also using the board with Zalman Fan, which I highly recommend as the stock Intel fans are loud and don't do an adaquete job at cooling, IMO. Since RAM is so cheap right now (about $90 for 1GB of DDR400 Crucial, Kinston, etc.,) I'd recommend getting 2GB if you can swing it. I'm running 1GB of Kingston Value RAM and it works very smoothly.

I've have also used the Asus board mentioned and it's a great board too. I still prefer the Intel board a bit more though. Either one is a great choice for a P4 DAW. Any of the 800MHz FSB P4's with HT will work well for you. You might also consider running with Intel's latest socket size and an 915 or 925 chipset Intel board if you want the best future upradability. The AMD 64 systems are also a great value and tend to run cooler than the P4's. I've been a handful of AMD64 systems with Asus Nforce boards and they too have been a pleasure to work with that work without a hitch.

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your reply. I wondered whether the Intel Active Monitor tool might be the problem. Think I will go with the PERL or PERLL then. I undertand any of the 800 FSB HT P4s are suitable. Any thoughts on best bang per buck? Budget issue!

Similarly what are your thoughts on SATA and Barracuda 120Gb, 7200, 8Mb buffer? Also the graphics card, Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000 Atlantis Pro 64Mb.

Thanks again.

Lee.

Hey Lee,

The Perl boards have been nothing but good to me. I've built about a dozen systems with these boards and I've yet to have an issue. The Barracuda drives are fantastic! It is pretty much standard issue now for DAW's to use 2 hard drives: one for the OS and apps and the other for audio, so I'd recommend using two drives if your budget allows for it. My system has the main OS on a regular ATA Seagate drive and the audio drive is an 80GB Seagate SATA. I kept the two SATA controllers available for the audio setup just in case I wanted to add a 2nd 80GB for RAID down the road, but so far the single drive has provided more than enough speed for my needs. The Radeon cards are great. I use a 9800 on mine and it's great.

Sorry, another question. Cannot for the life of me anywhere on the net some advice on what DDR 400 to use with the 865PERL. Kinston, Corsair, Samsung, Generic cas2 latency? What has been your experience whilst seeking ultimate stability for a DAW?

Thanks in anticipation,

Lee.

I'm glad to hear that everything has been working for you, David. I can't say enough good things about Antec cases. Many DAW builders (including Sweetwater) are using them as their stock case. They include a powerful and quiet power supply (with SATA connections), a large low-rotation case fan, and rubber insulated hard drive mounts to minimize vibration. You can get them from Newegg for around $60.

Lee, if you haven't already decided...I've had excellent experiences with 2 PERL boards and had a friend been happy with the one I recommended for him, and he uses his for video (way more impressive than just audio use!) I use Kingston DDR in my boards. Good luck with your decision.

Archived