Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith...now with added spoilers

I liked Revelations, but I think the praise heaped on it, from Star Wars standpoing, is way overboard. It's a decent movie, with some great special effects, but it had bad acting compounded with unbelievable characters. C'mon, you thought those two were really Jedi?! Get outta here! :rolleyes: Nonetheless, it still kept my attention, and overall I liked it. It's a very good Sci Fi channel movie, but not a very good Star Wars movie. Definitely not better than I & II, and certainly not better than III (which some have suggested).

As to Vader, he's not going to turn "mechanical" just because you put a helmet onto him. Just like I said with the FrankenVader scene, would you be all emotionless because somebody put a helmet onto you? Anakin lost all emotion because everything he had lived for died. He had nothing left but the Empire and being a Sith Lord. That was his life from there on out. It stayed that way until he "discovered" his son. The man in him died, but he died slowly, not instantly.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, sorta as suggested about Revelations being a very good Sci Fi movie, I agree that this guy could definitely helm a Star Wars series or simply make movies for the SF channel.

Peace

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Okay..maybe the yell was a little over the top, but somebody please tell me how you're supposed to move, and specifically walk, when your limbs have been replaced by robo-prostheses? I think you'd move like Frankenstein, too.

Peace

I kinda like how you are applying logic to what is a fantastical situation. At the simplest, im commenting on the acting, the direction... the SCENE itself. With that as criteria, it was ridiculous.

"nooooooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!!!"

"stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!"

"johnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!"

"adriannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!"

:P

As my post said, I, too, think that maybe the yell was over the top. And yes, the scene was awkward. Maybe that's what he was going for. There's plenty to point at with all the Star Wars movies. However, I stick with my "how do you want him to act/how would you act?" angle. It's fantastical, yes. If so, then why are people seemingly treating it as though it's not? That's my point.

Peace

From my perspective, I thought some of the hokey scenes were a nice tie-in to the hokey-ness of the original trilogy. I actually thought they helped with continuity.

My 8-year old gives it two big thumbs up, and I agree. It was really fun, and one of the best Star Wars movies of the series IMO. There was far more to like about it than not to like.

Originally posted by aliengroover:

As my post said, I, too, think that maybe the yell was over the top.

It was obviously supposed to be over the top.

In the old movies, that's how they acted....and the Star Wars series are essentially 'old movies'.

So, the "Steeeeelllaaa" comments aren't too far from the truth.

Regarding the "mechanization" of Vader. I think one of the points of the prequals has been to 'de-mechanize' Vader. To show that Vader is actually a good person who allowed his fears of loss to lure him to the darkside.

In the past, it was easy for me to see Vader as not being human. When I first saw Star Wars in '77, I figured he was a robot.

Now, when I look at Star Wars ANH, I will see Vader as a person on lifesupport....which I think is how Lucas intended it.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Well, yeah, Lucas intended the saga to be just like the serials from days past. And in those, there wasn't always the best acting or dialog...it was all about the entire adventure, and how it essentially "took you to another place". Star Wars has done that for millions upon millions of people. I'll take all that I don't like with what I do, provided I get that feeling.

Peace

Revelations could have benefitted from actors that had actually seen Star Wars and knew what was expected. The action scenes were horrible; the acting was worse. It felt much more like an episode of Deep Space 9 than Star Wars, and a very bad episode at that. 1 out of 5.

V, IV, III, VI, I, II. That's my order on the films.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Well, we saw EpIII today, finally. Yes, the lack of anaesthesia is a joke. And what, no ultrasound either???

Too many fight scenes IMHO - flash, flash, twirl, clinch, say a few words, unghhh, somersault, wang wang wang, repeat. But certain moments in the fights were good - especially the big Obiwan/Anakin showdown when Anakin is dismembered - a real shock. As was Anakin's killing of Windu.

Here's another vote that the evil conversion of Anakin was not quite convincing - just a couple of jigsaw pieces short of a convincing picture. It could have been made so much more moving!

And we wanted to see more Wookies!!! What a cool planet!

We speculated on the way home that, at first, it just didn't compute that Obiwan could beat Anakin. But perhaps that's one of the ironies of the whole Darth Vader tragedy, ie, Obiwan the self-effacing, humble, "in awe of gifted younger brother" sort of role, was actually as potentially powerful as Anakin. Anakin spent his Padawan days showing off and competing with Obiwan, having taken his own superiority for granted.

Another major irony was that it seems the Good Guy side of the Force actually overcomes death in some fashion, while the Dark Side chases immortality in futility.

We did think that, having seen III, that watching IV will result in added poignancy and emotional depth, since we've seen just how bad things got for the good guys. And how Luke's DNA carries the tendencies of his forebears, both natural and Jedi.

But it's definitely time for this to be the last episode - we've all been tolerating more or less defeated expectations and hopes for a couple of decades.

M Peasley

Originally posted by M Peasley:

Well, we saw EpIII today, finally. Yes, the lack of anaesthesia is a joke. And what, no ultrasound either???

I decided a long time ago, never to concern myself with modern day logic in science fiction. It's a waste of time. Believe me, it makes for a much better experience to imagine that there might actually be some reason my 2005 consciousness doesn't understand all the minute details of something happening in a galaxy far, far away.

We watched ep 4 last night, having ep 3 still firmly in our brain. What a great freaking movie that is. To me, Star Wars is still the best ever, and it's so much better after seeing 3. There's never a wasted word in the dialogue, the action is amazing, the characters are incredible, and the interlaced plot, how everything falls together, fantastic. And, yes, the acting is quite good. Really, the dynamics between characters is what's so great about the original. They're all having fun, which is what makes it so distinct from the dead-serious prequals.

Actually, watching Star Wars again made me wonder about a new layer behind it. I know that Tarkin and Vader let the Falcon go so they could track it. But maybe the *entire escape* of the Princess was part of their plan. Remember, Vader said "she may be of some use to us yet." and then later Luke and Han rescue her. Maybe the whole escape was a way to track them to Yavin.

Maybe it's a stretch, but it would explain the Storm Troopers' bad aim. :)

Just for the record.

Oh, I'm sure this can go on for a few more pages yet! ;)

I liked it (but I liked all of them to varying degree's). Similarly I thought the lurching after putting on the suit was pretty bad. In fact, he shouldn't even have stood up, it should have finished after he took his first breath with the mask on.

The Death Star would never have been that far advanced if it was only just finished 20 years later (and if it took that long, why did the building of the 2nd get so far so quickly?!).

Padme's death should have been more ambiguous, we should have been left knowing she had died but not knowing if the baby survived or not and certainly not knowing that there were twins!!!! Vader being Luke's father and then Leia being Luke's twin were huge revelations, a little of the mystery could have been left in for future generations watching the series from scratch (ok, no one is ever again going to see these without knowing that secret, but I think it would have been better writing it with the assumption that they would)....

Other than that (oh, and the terrible CG used to put Peter Cushing's head in to show Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge at the end, the rest of the CG was superb), great film... :thu:

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I can't follow the story in the last two prequels, before Sith, which I haven't seen. Anybody mention this yet?

I have no idea what is going on with the plot of those movies. It all seems vastly saga like, and important, and surreal, but WTF is going on? That's what I wanta know.

Anybody else have this problem. WTF are those movies about?

I borrowed the original trilogy from a friend last weekend and so far Ive made it through IV and V. I think that V is my favorite so far. It starts out with great action and suspense, and the tension between Han and Leah (sp?) is great! There were so many clever ideas with this movie from the asteroid that is actually a monster to Han slicing open a creature to keep Luke warm! I hope to watch Jedi tonight since I havent seen it in well over 10 years.

Originally posted by M Peasley:

And we wanted to see more Wookies!!! What a cool planet!

I wanted to see more of this guy.

http://chefelf.com/starwars/images/ep3teaser_tionmeddon.jpg

Maybe they'll throw in some deleted scenes on the DVD or something.

Originally posted by Base:

Oh, I'm sure this can go on for a few more pages yet! ;)

That'd be nice. I think it's still a page or two longer than the Michael Jackson thread. Either way, they're the longest threads I've ever started. Sure, they aren't as long as threads by people like Phait, but if they start to die out, I'll start whining about my love life or the shape of my head and see if I can't jumpstart them for another couple of pages. :D

Other than that (oh, and the terrible CG used to put Peter Cushing's head in to show Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge at the end, the rest of the CG was superb), great film... :thu:

I was not aware that they used CG for that. It looked like they hired an actor to look like Cushing....a little younger version.

Where did you hear that it was CG?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Well, my wife and I went to see Ep.3 last Saturday. I was impressed with it as a whole, but there were some pretty glaring idiosyncracies.

I liked how Anakin was taken in by the Dark Side. He was definitely seduced, as the dark side has always been described. It seemed like someone becoming addicted to cocaine. He has his excuses and is comforted by aspects of the dark side. But I'm not sure I buy that he was ready to betray Mace when it happened. Still, it wasn't out of the blue, either.

My biggest dislike was R2D2 popping out of the spaceships and jetting around on rockets. This is the same droid who that rolled slowly across the sands of Tatoonie and was easily captured by Jawas? Please. That was shades of Star Trek: Enterprise.

It's the, "We have the ability to make this character/ technology do more than previous films/episodes suggested, so let's toss out the rulebook, even though the newer film/episode is supposed to happen before those rules we set up." Completely inconsistant and unbelievable, IMO.

I loved the explanation how virtually all Jedi were killed at once. I really had no idea how they intended to reduce the proud ranks of Jedi from many to Yoda and Obi Wan.

I also liked Yoda. Much more attention was paid to the detail of his digital likeness. I said he looked ridiculous in Ep 1 & 2. This, IMO, was not the same as those renderings at all.

And Super8[/i], I was very pleased with most of the action in the fight scenes. The lightsaber battles were interesting. But Lucas didn't use closeups well to draw us into the characters, IMO. (See my comment about this lack of close ups in general, below.)

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I can't follow the story in the last two prequels, before Sith, which I haven't seen. Anybody mention this yet?

I have no idea what is going on with the plot of those movies. It all seems vastly saga like, and important, and surreal, but WTF is going on? That's what I wanta know.

Anybody else have this problem. WTF are those movies about?

Funny you should mention that, Steve. My wife turned to me after we saw Ep.3 and said, "At least I could follow this one. It made total sense. The last two left me wondering what the heck was going on."

All in all, I liked it.

But it doesn't even belong in the same theater with Ep IV. Episode IV not only stands out as the best, IMO, because of the orignality of the story and effects. It rises head and shoulders above the other films as a complete epic film. One has no need to see any of the other episodes to understand and enjoy the entire movie. It has an amazing beginning, middle and climactic ending. The characters are well thought out and portrayed.

The filming and editing are done far better than the original trilogy. I found the predominant use of far and full body shots weakened the impact of Ep3 and the previous two movies. Look back at the dynamics of far shots that emphasize the big land and space environments with the hyper-close-ups of dialogue in both action, friendly interaction and romantic shots. Ep.'s IV, V, and VI compel you to be involved with the characters. I didn't get this at all from the last 3 movies.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Super 8:

I was not aware that they used CG for that. It looked like they hired an actor to look like Cushing....a little younger version.

Where did you hear that it was CG?

Ok, to be honest I haven't, it just looked cartoonish and I assumed it was. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find out one way or the other...
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I also liked Yoda. Much more attention was paid to the detail of his digital likeness. I said he looked ridiculous in Ep 1 & 2. This, IMO, was not the same as those renderings at all.

Yoda was done by Frank Oz as a puppet in episodes I, V, and VI. Yoda was CG in both episodes II and III.

Episode IV not only stands out as the best, IMO, because of the orignality of the story and effects. It rises head and shoulders above the other films as a complete epic film. One has no need to see any of the other episodes to understand and enjoy the entire movie. It has an amazing beginning, middle and climactic ending. The characters are well thought out and portrayed.
That's because when Lucas made episode IV, he didn't know if he'd have the funding to make the rest of the saga. So, he made A New Hope as a complete movie, one that could stand alone if need be.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Yeah Ok as long as we're talking about movies DO NOT rent Ocean's Twelve, trust me on this. IT SUCKS, main problem being........NO PLOT.

Joel Shcoumaker, or whatever his name is, or whoever is responsible for that shit should be hauled out into a public square and given at least 15 lashes. Really bad, worthless movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but hey I dress cool. :cool::P

Finally saw it yesterday (and read this thread today). Only a couple of things add I will:

When the cut-up body of Vader, laying too close to the lava flows, spontaneously combusts, I'm sorry but once a body starts burning it'll complete burning, unless someone comes along to put the fire out. That he caught fire and then went out didn't make sense to me, even as part of a fantasy.

I've only seen these movies in the theatre first time out, watched Episode IV twice (had a date the second time, Hah! :P ). At the end of E III, seeing the twin sunset on Tatooine, which is essentially the first scene that I saw 28 years ago, really had an effect on me, wow. What a long, fantastic trip its been. :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

Late to the party, but hey I dress cool. :cool::P

No doubts there! :thu:

http://www.puddlestone.net/photo59.jpg

When the cut-up body of Vader, laying too close to the lava flows, spontaneously combusts, I'm sorry but once a body starts burning it'll complete burning, unless someone comes along to put the fire out. That he caught fire and then went out didn't make sense to me, even as part of a fantasy.

Okay, that's fine....but here's the thing. Both Obi-wan and Anakin...errrr Vader at that point, I guess...should have been crispy LONG BEFORE that point. Floating on a small raft in a giant lake of fire should have been enough to kill the both of them, and that's IF all of the molton lava being splattered all over the place didn't already do the job.

It's just one of those things -like spaceships making noise in outer space- where I suspend my disbelief. It's a spectacular sequence, and I find it believable WITHIN the Star Wars context.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived