Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith...now with added spoilers

Shout out to Sylver.

Back to topic. The fight between Obi-Wan and Jango in EpII was pretty good. The fight scene with Darth Maul was OK. Darth looked great, but I really couldn't buy into Darth killing the great Qui-Gong while little Padawan Obi comes and slices him in half. I think they killed Darth Maul way too early, he had the potential to be a great villian. All other fight scenes in the Ep1 and 2 SUCKED.

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

{clapping hands for Jedi's last post}

BTW - Super8, I liked the idea of the divide and conquer, but the execution of the fight scene created no tension. Plus, Darth Maul was the focal point of evil, yet the lack of depth in his character was appalling. No tension. No payoff. His death had all the drama of a "henchman". You know. One of hundreds or thousands of nameless, often faceless guys who are just there to die.

I can almost see Obi Wan vamping Michael Caine in the last Austin Powers movie when Caine, as Austin's father, tells an armed henchman to drop his automatic rifle and lay down on the floor because he's a henchman with no chance of surviving the scene should he attempt to engage Caine.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

BTW - Super8, I liked the idea of the divide and conquer, but the execution of the fight scene created no tension.Z

I couldn't disagree with you more. I thought it was exciting and full of tension.

Plus, Darth Maul was the focal point of evil, yet the lack of depth in his character was appalling.

That was what was cool about him, Fantastic. It was his mystique. Like a cat prawling or a ninja. He's this mysterious guy you don't know anything about who appears when you least expect him, and attacks you. *That* was what made him cool.

We don't need "depth of character" in an assasin. We only need only to know that he's out there, he's deadly, and he's looking for us. THAT'S TENSION, bro. That's what makes it work.

Originally posted by Jedi:

I think they killed Darth Maul way too early, he had the potential to be a great villian.

Interesting you should mention that. I recently read that Lucas underestimated Maul's popularity among fans, and kind of regrets killing him off as well.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I just got back from Revenge of the Sith, and I loved it! What an amazing movie! No.... What an amazing independant film -since Lucas has financed every film since Empire out of his own pocket!

I don't want to get into spoilers so that the people who haven't seen it yet can enjoy enjoy it without knowing the details.

But I'll say this much:

The visuals were amazing. I'm pretty certain that the Clone troopers were all CG, and they looked great.

Yoda is CG again, and beautifuly rendered. There are some fantastic close ups on him that look very real....especially toward the end.

Lot's and lots of action, but a surprising amount of dialog as well. Some really interesting discussions take place. Lucas doesn't get too wrapped up in getting dialog out of the way and moving on to the next scene, as he did in EpI. Here, he takes more time, and allows people to talk and to breathe. It's paced very well. It doesn't jump around like EpI or become slow like ROTJ. It has a nice dynamic, and transitions well....which is saying something because there are A LOT of stories happening at different places concurrently.

Hayden is a better actor in this film than in the last one. Still not my first choice, but I thought he did a decent job.

Jar Jar Binks is a central character in the film and steals the show with his antics!

Just kidding....

Actually, he's in one scene very briefly just to let you know he still exists, and has -if I remember correctly 1 word of dialog that's buried in the background. If you blink, you'll miss it.

Lots of scenes involving Palpatine. He's a major player in this film, which is cool because I really enjoy Ian McDiarmid's acting.

There's a cool scene with him and Yoda, and an even cooler scene with him and Mace Windu.

Cheezy bits???

Oh yes, they were in there. I won't discuss them right now. You take the bad with the good. Fortunately, there was a lot to like about this film.

Wooden acting. Yeah, some of it. Not all of the scenes, in my opinion. Some melodrama too. I just deal with it. This is a space opera based on saturday matinee Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials. This isn't The Godfather or Saving Private Ryan. I accept some cheezeball acting as part of the package.

I've wondered how exactly Anakin would be convinced to turn to the dark side. I was reasonably happy with how Lucas worked it.

And I'm not giving away too much to let you know that Palpatine knows how powerful the Force is in Anakin and is very obviously using him as a tool.

Anakin is also using Palpatine for his own ends.

By the end of this film when Anakin's conversion to Vader is complete, they've already set up tension between them.

Where does this one rank in the series?

Easily the third best. Quite possibly the second best. Maybe even the best of the entire saga. I'm not sure. I'd like to see it again, and watch the other films as well.

Without a doubt it gets Two Thumbs Up, and is certainly worthy of the Star Wars cannon.

I look forward to the day that I can sit down with a big screen TV, a stack of DVD's, and a 12-hour supply of snack foods, and watch the entire saga from beginning to end.

I wonder if there are any theaters that are playing them all?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

By the way. If you're child is under 9 or 10, I would strongly caution you about taking him or her. There are some very intense and some scary scenes in this movie. At least see it first BEFORE you take the kids. Even though the stores are full of Star Wars toys, this is NOT a kid's film.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I agree, 'O Super One. The film was great. It's definitely the most balanced film since Empire, in terms of action and dialog, visuals and acting. Hayden is better, but still not my choice either. Heck...everyone stepped it up because that's precisely what is called for. The stakes were up in this story. Nothing diplomatic, from George, the actors, or anything or anyone, was going to suffice. It had to be all out.

I won't rank this one, either, until I see it again. I'm checking the one theater near me that has THX rooms, to see it this morning. I saw EI in there, and it rocked. So my final ranking, for now, will come after watching it in a Lucas-"approved" room. BTW, the IMAX/Giant screen showing was great visually, but for some reason they kept the volume at a minimum. People were yelling, "Turn it up!". They never did. Luckily it was decently loud enough.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

I've gotta say that I was impressed. The other two prequels were a huge letdown for me- they could have been awesome, but they felt very 'rushed' and almost 'contrived'. And then there's the comic relief attempts...

No spoilers here, but i felt that this movie was about where something like this should be, in the way of seriousness, scale, and drama. Any detraction or letting down in this movie is a result of epis I and II.

The comic relief was mercifully snuffed out, in all but a few occasions (the Tarzan/Ewok reference being the only one that sticks out like a sore thumb). Some of the comic relief situations were actually comical.

The more i think about this movie, the more i think that *THIS* is the Star Wars that Lucas really wanted to make, but for various reasons didn't.

:thu::thu::thu:

(p.s... How long until you think Peter Jackson redoes IV, V and VI? (j/k))

(p.s... there ARE episodes VII, VIII and IX written, aren't there? Hmmmmm?)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Super 8:

Plus, Darth Maul was the focal point of evil, yet the lack of depth in his character was appalling.

That was what was cool about him, Fantastic. It was his mystique. Like a cat prawling or a ninja. He's this mysterious guy you don't know anything about who appears when you least expect him, and attacks you. *That* was what made him cool.

We don't need "depth of character" in an assasin. We only need only to know that he's out there, he's deadly, and he's looking for us. THAT'S TENSION, bro. That's what makes it work....

I disagree. It was the interaction of Darth Vader with high ranking members of the Imperial forces in Star Wars, that gave us clues to his motives, agendas, and personality. Darth Vader was a 3 dimensional character right from the beginning. Darth Maul was strictly one dimensional :bor: I agree, he had the most potential and they wasted it.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by phaeton:

(p.s... there ARE episodes VII, VIII and IX written, aren't there? Hmmmmm?)

I believe the original book series did have nine episodes, and there are three left.

That really makes me think about things. For all its warts, the SW story is one of the most fantastic epics ever filmed, but I can't help wonder if Mr. Lucas doesn't wish he was just a bit younger, and able to do the last three. Just to go off-topic a second, I felt a similar dispair reading about Frank Zappa's enthusiasm for the Synclavier, and its ability to make any sound and rhythms that (supposedly) were not reproducable by humans. He gave us a teaser with Jazz from Hell and then died from prostate cancer.

Guess its just a sign for all of us to do the most with the time we have, huh? Sorry to get a drippy here... :rolleyes:;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I saw it yesterday afternoon--

It was about what I expected...

Anakin Skywalker displayed his remarkable inability to emote in any way shape or form...to the point of comedy.

The dialog as a whole appeared to have been written by a 16 year old boy who's never felt real anger, known true love, or felt real passion for anything. You know-- painfully cliche, empty, and rote.

This is disturbing, because somehow it still made it into the movie.

After being reviewed by thousands of people.

THIS was the end result of scriptwriting editing and redrafts.

Disgusting.

That said, it was certainly a superior movie to the last two, as expected... glaring flaws excepted.

Catch it as a matinee, or in a week or two-- don't fight crowds and annoying kids for this movie,

Not for this movie.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Originally posted by Fantastic Sound

It was the interaction of Darth Vader with high ranking members of the Imperial forces in Star Wars, that gave us clues to his motives, agendas, and personality. Darth Vader was a 3 dimensional character right from the beginning

Right on, you are Sir. Darth Maul could have been really compelling. In fact, the whole Sith religion could have been explored. Why is there only two, a master and a apprentice. What caused their extinction? What's their attitude towards the force. Is the darkside the easy way, the more material way, the angry way, where EXACTLY do they stand. If just one of these doorways would have been explored, man you're talking a lot of fertile ground for good drama. And I argue that it should have been explored because we need to understand what makes somebody put on a helmet and a robot suit, take deep breathing yoga lessons, and change his name to Darth Vader. I can only hope that he ties it all together in this last one, but I sincerely doubt it. I won't have too long to find out, I've got tickets for my son and I at 5:15. See, we will. :D

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I disagree. It was the interaction of Darth Vader with high ranking members of the Imperial forces in Star Wars, that gave us clues to his motives, agendas, and personality. Darth Vader was a 3 dimensional character right from the beginning. Darth Maul was strictly one dimensional :bor: I agree, he had the most potential and they wasted it.

Fantastic, you can't compare Vader to Maul. Vader was a fallen hero, we knew that from the beginning. Maul was supposed to be one dimensional. His purpose was to be a minion of the mysterious Darth Sidious, and to kill Jedi. That's all....

Maul's history is central to nothing. We don't need to know or care about him, we only need to fear him.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Darth Maul could have been really compelling. In fact, the whole Sith religion could have been explored. Why is there only two, a master and a apprentice. What caused their extinction? What's their attitude towards the force. Is the darkside the easy way, the more material way, the angry way, where EXACTLY do they stand.

In words, lets understand their culture. Dude, you're talking about turning this thing into Star Trek! Gimme a break!

One of the great things about Star Wars has always been that there is so much room for fans to speculate about who people are and where they came from. Lucas DOES NOT, need to spell every single thing out for us. We can take what he gives us and use our imaginations to dream up a bigger universe than Lucas could ever show us on the screen.

This is exactly what mythologizes these films.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

In a perfect world:

Condense Ep1 & 2 into about 45 minutes as a whole and add that to Ep 3 at the beginning and call that Episode 1.

Episode 2 would be the Empire taking over the galaxy with brief scenes of Luke and Leia growing up and the development of the Rebel Force.

Episode 3 would be the the Empire Vs. the Rebel Force leading to Leia taking over.

Originally posted by Super 8:

We don't need "depth of character" in an assasin. We only need only to know that he's out there, he's deadly, and he's looking for us. THAT'S TENSION, bro. That's what makes it work....

Actually, I think Vader was merely a henchman in A New Hope. There's the bit of history between Obi Wan and Vader, but that's the depth of Vader's character in ANH. It isn't until the Empire Strikes Back that Vader's character takes on some depth, when we learn that Vader is Luke's father.

Maul didn't even have that. He was just there, ready to take revenge on the Jedi for some unmentioned grudge he held against them. Jango and Boba Fett were cool. Boba interested enough people that Lucas wrote him and his origins into the back story. He could do the same with Maul, if he wanted to.

I hope this isn't the end of the Star Wars saga...

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I just saw Ep. III, and have to say I was disappointed. Anakin's transformation into Vader, the taking on of that name and that suit, is THE fulcrum of the whole mythos. The film handled it in a perfunctory, anti-climactic, and ham-handed fashion, and to avoid spoilers. I won't say more than that.

The visuals, sound, swordplay, and overall production were flawless and stunning, though.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Fantastic Sound

It was the interaction of Darth Vader with high ranking members of the Imperial forces in Star Wars, that gave us clues to his motives, agendas, and personality. Darth Vader was a 3 dimensional character right from the beginning

Right on, you are Sir. Darth Maul could have been really compelling. In fact, the whole Sith religion could have been explored. Why is there only two, a master and a apprentice. What caused their extinction? What's their attitude towards the force. Is the darkside the easy way, the more material way, the angry way, where EXACTLY do they stand. If just one of these doorways would have been explored, man you're talking a lot of fertile ground for good drama. And I argue that it should have been explored because we need to understand what makes somebody put on a helmet and a robot suit, take deep breathing yoga lessons, and change his name to Darth Vader. I can only hope that he ties it all together in this last one, but I sincerely doubt it. I won't have too long to find out, I've got tickets for my son and I at 5:15. See, we will. :D
:thu:

Super8 - Sorry, but you're too easily entertained. I want fun and a real story. There have been many one-dimensional villians. They and the movies they're in almost universally stink.

As an example, take.. Cujo. Ask anyone who has seen Stephen King's movie, Cujo what it's about and they'll tell you it's about a rabid dog, a monster that attacks anything and everything in its' path. That made for a very, boring movie. On the other hand, the book was incredible because the dog's thoughts were well represented. Instead of a mindless monster there is a intelligent animal made pathetic by a disease it cannot control. The same is true for other Stephen King and many other Sci-fi villians in the movies.

Blue - I disagree. He was not just a henchman. The military leaders of the Imperial fleet acted as if he were one of them, in practice. His powers, his vengence, his respect for Grand Moff Tarkin (In contrast to his disdain for the official he chokes with the Force) when the group argues over initial plans for use of the Death Star shows he is a part of a larger, grand design of the Emperor.

Even Ahhrrnold as The Terminator in the original movie, a machine had a lot of depth compared to Darth Maul. And he was literally a single minded killing machine. But the way he went about his business made all the difference.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

There is plenty of Sith history around. If you do a brief once over, you can find it (starting at starwars.com). The Sith history is very interesting, but to do it justice would call for almost a whole movie, starting with the Jedi Order, Dark Jedis, the Sith people, and the Sith "cult".

Although Hayden isn't the ideal Anakin, the dialog perfectly fits a person of the weak and screwed up mind that young Skywalker is. He was so easily seduced by the dark side because he doesn't have a clue. Palpatine told him EXACTLY what he wanted and needed to hear. He was manipulated from day one, so thus he was a lackey for all around him.

Lord Vader is a great character because you know at the heart of this Sith was kid trying to find his way. He's drunk with his own power, and thus not of the mind to make the right decisions. He's alot like Nate Grey from the X-Men and Marvel Comics. He's potentially the most powerful character on Earth, but he has no idea when, how, and why to use that power.

BTW, I saw it for the second time, in the THX theater. I must say, it was fantastic. It ranks up there pretty high. I'll probably watch EIV and EV between now and next week. I really dug this movie.

Peace

I'll chime in. III was closer to V than any of the others - that's a good thing. The characters started to develop by the end, a little late, IMO. Obi-wan was awesome. Yoda was awesome. Mace and Dooku were not so good, particularly the battle scenes. Hit and miss on the Emperor. BUT, this is Star Wars - put that mind in neutral and just let the ride take you where it goes. The movie was good! I was dissapointed a little because I knew a little too much about what would happen - my own fault. The film was sweet.

Other topics:

Maul - unitelligent pawn and a meaningless character.

Vader - henchman, well played, respected and feared. Vader is an excellent villan.

Battle scenes - I have no problem with the saber scene in IV. Neither Vader nor Kenobi had used a saber in 25 years and Vader dies if he over exerts himself thanks to his life support system.

The only thing I didn't like about the end battle scene in III is the cliche tied force power push then both fly back.

For those trashing on I and II: having kids, I've watched them dozens of times now and the more I watch them the more they feel like Star Wars. We've all seen IV, V, and VI dozens or even hundreds of times. Things that may have been slight annoyances originally have been washed away by rewatching. The same holds true to I and II. III will likely grow on me in the same fashion, but it won't be from the kids, as they're not allowed to see III yet (my oldest is 5).

VII, VIII, IX: Lucas will never direct another Star Wars movie. He may, however, produce the next trilogy if the fans embrace III and ticket sales are VERY high. You can go to supershadow.com for the official Lucas summaries of the last trilogy.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Grievous was interesting. Not as powerful as I expected (or maybe Obi-wan is just more powerful than I expected), and I had a little issue with his cowardice and his accent. I wish we could have seen him menace the republic a little to esablish him as a bad ass. He was also VERY different than in Clone Wars - slow, more cowardly, etc. Maybe it's because he was hurt by Mace.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Palpatine? Could've been so interesting, given all the suggestions about his very complex, inscrutable motives. But from the moment where he transformed into the disfigured character we know from the original movies, he just became nothing but "booga-booga."

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Bad. Very Bad. Some good, but mostly bad. I'll bitch more later. No spoilers, I promise.

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Saw it last night. Liked it a lot. I must resist spoilers for now, but I will say that the movie raises some questions about the whole mythic sequence--about Anakin's origins, for example. We know from Phantom Menace that Anakin was "immaculately conceived." Revenge of the Sith suggests an interesting possibility regarding this.

I know that the writing and the acting are not fluid and three dimensional in a way that modern audiences often expect, but I unlike some others accept this as a function of the epic genre. I've even grown to like it--I'm tired of what passes for interior depth in so many of our "serious" films.

And I would argue, to no one in particular and to no avail, that it's really not any different in the first three films, though Lucas' touch might have been somewhat lighter then.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

OK here we go.

I flat out did not like the movie. I felt know emotional connection to not one of the characters except for a marginal appreciation of Obi-Wan.

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner

just saw Ep. III, and have to say I was disappointed. Anakin's transformation into Vader, the taking on of that name and that suit, is THE fulcrum of the whole mythos. The film handled it in a perfunctory, anti-climactic, and ham-handed fashion, and to avoid spoilers. I won't say more than that.

This is exactly how I feel.

Originally posted by Super8

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darth Maul could have been really compelling. In fact, the whole Sith religion could have been explored. Why is there only two, a master and a apprentice. What caused their extinction? What's their attitude towards the force. Is the darkside the easy way, the more material way, the angry way, where EXACTLY do they stand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In words, lets understand their culture. Dude, you're talking about turning this thing into Star Trek! Gimme a break!

Did you miss the part where I state if just ONE of these things were explored it would make for a better backdrop to create richer drama? I'm not looking for a 2 hour documentary on the Sith, but my God you can't tell me that we couldn't use a little more info to create interest. It's obvious that Lucas realized this, hence his scenes with Anikin and Palpatine. Those scenes are what I'm talking about, and he should have been doing that two movies ago. To avoid spoiling anything for anybody, I'll be quiet for now and wait until more folks have seen it. Maybe we should start a spoilers thread so that those who haven't seen it can avoid the conversation until they have. I love arguing about this stuff :D .

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

OK here we go. I flat out did not like the movie.

Well, duh! Big surprise here.

I could have told you you weren't going to like it before you even went.

Did you miss the part where I state if just ONE of these things were explored it would make for a better backdrop to create richer drama? I'm not looking for a 2 hour documentary on the Sith, but my God you can't tell me that we couldn't use a little more info to create interest.
Dude, why do we need all of this exposition?

We got through the original trilogy without the word "sith" being mentioned even ONCE!

We heard the Emperor briefly referred to in ANH

We very briefly saw him in ESB

And suddenly he becomes this major player in ROTJ, and we know NOTHING about him. Yet, nobody was pitching a bitch back then about one dimensional characters and too little exposition to generate interest.

I'd argue just the opposite. Lucas gives us just enough information to wet our appetite. He creates interest by conceiling information, not by revealing it.

It's obvious that Lucas realized this, hence his scenes with Anikin and Palpatine. Those scenes are what I'm talking about, and he should have been doing that two movies ago.
No... The payoff comes at the end, not the beginning. This is how Lucas has always done it.

Besides, we got more information about the Sith in EpI than we'd ever got in any of the previous films.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I love arguing about this stuff :D .

No, you don't.

You lost the battle agsinst Vader, JEDI...

:D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

That's more of a reason to talk about the Sith. They're not mentioned at all in the first three. Now, he might have created enough allure for you, but he surely did not for me. Plus, there was a ton of other concerns in the first three, namely destroying the empire. While the prequels to my understanding was the origin story of dare I say it a Sith Lord. AND HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO YOU that I'm not looking for huge amount of SITH HISTORY. Just more hints, more flavor, more vibe going considerably darker as they go. For example, why couldn't Darth Maul and the Empereor have one or two conversations that actually have some depth like Anikin and Palpatine did. You telling me that couldn't take out one of the many terrible scenes in that long boring freaking movie and inject just one decent exchange of dialog between Maul and Palpatine. It would have worked wonders. Honestly, I don't even get how people like these movies. When I say no emotional connection, I mean none, zilch NADA. I couldn't care less about any of these characters, and don't you think that's a problem when it has to be a CHARACTER driven movie since we all know that this guy is going to turn into Vader. BTW, when I went to the movie to see it with my son. I still had butterflies, I still hoped to see a good movie. Even if it didn't meet my criteria, atleast an enjoyable 2 1/2 hours of entertainment. Sitting there was painful. It wasn't a pleasurable experience. It pretty much bored me to tears. A lot of effects, and jumping around just isn't enough for me when I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS.

And about the empereor. We all know Star Wars was done in a way where it could be resolved, just in case it bombed. In ESB, the empereor is thrown in as a fragrant character in the most climatic part of the movie and reveals the most about Vader's ambition and true motives. He's not needed as much in the first three because the relationship isn't between the Empereor and Luke. The relationship is between Vader and Luke. That's the relationship we care about. In the prequels, the relationship between Anikin and Palpatine is one of many relationships that we should care about, hence the need to explore the characters'motives, wants, strengths, and vices. The origin story of Darth Vader has to be a character driven story and Lucas and Co. were not so up to the challenge, IMO ofcourse.

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

I just read a scathingly bad review of ROTS in Rolling Stone. The same issue had a terrific interview with Lucas on the topic.

By the way: Lucas' plots for Episode 7, 8 and 9 have been online for a long time. Some of the characters include Ben Skywalker (Luke's kid), Anakin Solo (Han/Leia's kid), and a lot of "spirit appearances" by the old favorites.

Check this out...

You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups? lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ?"Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It?s crazy.?" [imitating Lucas grumble,] "?It?s the most commercial section of the movie.?" He said the first trilogy'?s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ?"Um, how'?d you like to be in Episode IX?"? This is 1976. ?When is that going to be?? ?"2011."? I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, "?No, I'?ll never be 47."? So I did the math and figured out how old I?'d be. I said, ?"Well, what do you want me to do?"? He said, "?You'?ll just be like a cameo. You'?ll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope."

At this point, the common idea is that a TV series will replace the making of movies, since Lucas doesn't want to do it because he feels it wouldn't be complete within his lifetime.

- Jeff

I believe that the talk is of a TV series and more cartoons. There are tons of stories, in novels and comic books, that tell more Star Wars tales. The thing about SW is that the movies are just one piece, and are designed to tell one big story, and a few little ones. If you want to understand more, then checking out those can help you. Even just watching the Clone Wars can answer a few questions. How does Anakin go from a Padawan in EII and a full Knight in EIII, and just how awesome is Grievous? The CW and the comics answer those questions.

To look for a movie to answer many of our questions is asking for too much. The movie was almost (oops, edit time) two and a half hours long. Adding in more backstory would have killed it. One good thing I'll say about Sith is that there were few parts that should have been left out, if any, really.

You wanna know about the Sith? Darth Maul himself said, "At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we shall have revenge?" Obviously something happened, but how does that advance the movie by having their origin in there? It doesn't. I first learned of the Sith backstory from the Phantom Menace adaptation novel. I've since done more reading up on them, simply because they are way more interesting than the Jedi.

Yoda essentially said, "A master and an apprentice. Only two. No more, no less." The Sith abide by that because of much infighting, and how that resulting chaos left one Sith (Darth Bane) standing after a battle with the Jedi. The order stood for a thousand years, mostly in secret, before showing up again in EI. The Emperor continues that tradition. That kind of backstory ruins some movies for me. It's better that they're essentially a mystery in here. All that matters is how Palpatine played Anakin.

Peace

Archived