Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nels Cline to share the stage with...

Now how lucky is this? There's going to be this improvisational performance next month for part of Sound/Shift, and I get to improvise with Nels Cline and several other people that I also have a lot of respect for. This is gonna be a LOT of fun!! Probably a lot of you know about him, but if you don't, I really do think that he's one of the best guitarists out there today. We've done the same gigs before, but not sharing the stage and doing improvisation. Cool!

http://www.linespaceline.org/

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool, Ken! But I don't see any mention of it on the website... I see listenings for Nels in April, and nothing mentioning Nels (or you) in May. Huh?

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by David R:

Very cool, Ken! But I don't see any mention of it on the website... I see listenings for Nels in April, and nothing mentioning Nels (or you) in May. Huh?

David

June, David, next month]/b] is June, at least here in the States. :D

Only the set/timeslot's headliner is ever noted in the upcoming schedules.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The linespaceline people said that they'd be updating their web site shortly. It's part of Sound/Shift (which in turn is part of the L.A. ArtFest), and is a continuous improvisational thing in which people play for 40 minutes each, but the times are staggered so that people are joining, getting off stage, etc.

So I am supposed to be on somewhere around 5:00-5:40 and will share the stage withNels Cline (gtr and electronics), David Rothbaum (analog synth), Albert Ortega (electronics), Kraig Grady (pump organ or vibraphone), and Harris Eisenstadt (drums and percussion). I'm going to be playing a Javanese gamelan instrument called a gender (pronounced with a hard "g"), which is a brass metallophone with bamboo resonators.

Ken you are now on the schedule.

I've only looked at that site a couple of times before and didn't realize how the set up was. It always looked to me like just one guy, the headliner was mentioned but looking at the whole thing again I see how they are mentioning folks. It's a bit hard to decipher the first couple of times around or I'm a dufus. Wait, we already know that...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Cool! And you're definitely not a dufus...

I did a gig with Nels before a few years back, but never actually have played music with him, so this is quite exciting! He was on the cover of Guitar Player an issue or two ago, and I was very happy to see that. The guy's just an amazing guitar player, and plays with such great nuance and taste.

Archived