Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do I Make An MP3 from a CD?

Originally posted by Is there bass in the caR-R-R-R-R?:

Occasionally a friend of mine that does some mastering work will share a project file with me. As much as I appreciate this for my own personal enjoyment, the files are shared on a professional level. He wants my opinion on the state of the project. Is it done, or does it need a bit more tweaking? Is there something jumping out and ripping my ears off that he's missing due to his close proximity to the project? Does it appeal to my personal taste, or should the "frosting" on the cake be a different color, flavor or texture? Of course, these files are shared with the express understanding that they are NOT to be shared with others.

You can't blame a guy for asking, but sometimes when my buddy is working on a project I am really interested in, the answer to my request for a copy is "no" I understand that this is the answer that is required due to professional standards, and not due to his unwillingness to share. As a fellow professional, I accept this answer in the spirit it was intended. Nobody likes to say "no" to a friend, but a true friend can accept that answer without questioning it.

Very well stated Tom :thu: I understand why it is that Bruce cannot share some of his works and therefore, I don't even ask. I can tell already that Bruce is the type of person that has a big heart and enjoys sharing what he can with others; including his knowledge. His willingness to post pictures and tidbits of his published works, where allowed, demonstrates his involvement with the folks here on the SSS and his enjoyment of interaction and being a participant. That, in itself, is enough for some of us to appreciate...

With people like Craig Anderton, Bruce Sweiden, and other giants that have roamed these message boards; folks should feel honored to have these guys amongst those of us striving to advance our knowledge and make forward motion progress in our dreams/careers.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ani - I appreciate your trying to lead Brucie into the net FTP transfer system - but you must understand that everything Bruce holds, be it superb original archival tapes etc, is still copyright to the original owner. He only holds copyrighted copies, as interesting as they may be.

I understand his reluctance to beam them across the wires.

Cheers

john

Anderton----->save as a mono MP3. It sounds twice as good as stereo for given bandwidth, and no one wants to steal a mono file.¨

Angelo----->people, let's call them so for a moment, who steal, won't even hear the difference between mono and stereo.

*.mp3 is the format used by producers, songwriter, engineers etc., for exchanging, inform and present ideas and songs etc.. It's fast and efficient, and the low quality is just right for what we talk here.

Songwriters who wanna present their compositions in the pitch phase to advertising, and movie companies etc., better have their ideas ready for sending out quickly. This multi media people always decide in the last moment on the music, and wanna have it on their desktop next morning.

Sending multi media files, like whole CD's and DVD's via FTP server transefer is not effective, and not client friendly, and normally not accepted by clients, they wanna hold something physical in their hand, so we send it by surface mail. For FTP transfer, one also needs at least transfer rates of 3000 Kbit/s Download and 800 Kbit/s Upload. Even with this 3000 Kbit/s rates, transfer is not efficient, and in most milk counties not available yet.

Dog-doe: for me personally the only non-dog-doe is absolute silence, or not much more then the waterfall in the ravine, the eagle in the morning, and the wind in the leaves. I recover from 15 hour sessions in not more then 6 hours in this surrounding.

i excuse myself in advance for being so extrem...

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

ANI That ain't Tom, it's Dave.

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

I think it may be as close to being a little bit pregnant as we can get!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

:D:D

Thanks for that line Brucie, I got a great chuckle from it this morning.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by John Sayers:

Ani - I appreciate your trying to lead Brucie into the net FTP transfer system - but you must understand that everything Bruce holds, be it superb original archival tapes etc, is still copyright to the original owner. He only holds copyrighted copies, as interesting as they may be.

Cheers

john

John,

I merely brought up the FTP method as an alternate means to transfer high quality files. .... and yes, it would be cool to get Craig and Bruce both involved in a fresh Internet project where SSS members join together for the process; the FTP would simplify the communication of files. However, I do understand Bruce's reluctance in wanting to take even the slightest chance of compromising the files by sending them across the Internet; both in sound quality and potential theft due to hackers tapping into a stream.

If Napster was able to ping the servers carrying materials not yet released by groups like Metallica and etc., I suppose that if any one IP address was used to transfer music file types for any length of time; the server would eventually be identified as a target for hacking.

For the transfer of individual tracks, I think the method in a little less likely to be hacked unless certain individuals are aware of a specific location hosting all of the file tracks contained within one song....

As far as the sound quality; many file compression programs are said to be "lossless". Those who are experts are trained effectively enough to pinpoint and isolate a single raindrop from within an entire thunderstorm.... ;) They would be able to hear even the slightest degradation of sound quality that might be compromised through the bits of sound file transfer.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

ANI That ain't Tom, it's Dave.
:o It didn't even dawn on me that the ID name said BASS in the car, instead of GAS in the car.

SOooooooooo, Tom has a stalker now? :D Which Dave is assuming Tom's alter ego personality? ;) That's Wewus's role; he may get upset with the competition. :D You know how he can be VERY territorial. :P

John Sayers sez------->everything Bruce holds, be it superb original archival tapes etc, is still copyright to the original owner. He only holds copyrighted copies, as interesting as they may be.

Cheers

john

Brucie sez-------->Exactly! I own the tapes but NOT the music! I have done this many times and the owner of the copywrited music has always been very pleased to license the tapes to the label that I am workng with. It is done all the time!

My big advantage is that my recordings of those incredible performances don't exist anywhere else....

Bruce Swedien

Bruce Swedien

Is there a label that could, would, release a compilation of some highlights of that? In "anthology" form, perhaps? I'm not familiar with how many different labels were involved, musician A being signed to label "A"...musician B, label B, etc...

Methinks, Bruce-meister, you've struck on that which should provide you much satisfaction for years to come...overseeing the mechanisms by which such performances see the light of day again. :thu:

Or is that what this thread is about??? Good grief! I've been mowing too long! The sun has raisinized my brain!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey!!!!!

Thank you for helping me out with this MP3 doo-doo.

I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!!

I made an MP3!

(Damn it sounds awful! - And I don't care! It will work perfectly for what I want.....)

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Cool that you did it Bruce!

Did you know that many FM broadcasts of today are MP3's? No wonder they sound like kaka!

A really good 320kbs rip is not too shabby though, it will pass muster for eval.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Tedster sez-------->Is there a label that could, would, release a compilation of some highlights of that? In "anthology" form, perhaps? I'm not familiar with how many different labels were involved, musician A being signed to label "A"...musician B, label B, etc...

Methinks, Bruce-meister, you've struck on that which should provide you much satisfaction for years to come...overseeing the mechanisms by which such performances see the light of day again.

Brucie sez------->Thanks Ted my man.... I appreciate your thoughts. I've hung on to these tapes for so long, a little longer doesn't matter.

I have had offers from labels. However, I want to make sure that the music on my tapes is the winner, I don't really care about anything else! I think I am getting close to something I can live with.....

Bruce Swedien

How many of those artists are still alive? And, of those that aren't, how active are their descendents in seeing that their forebears' music is properly catalogged, taken care of, released in a proper context, and such?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dang Bruce, I just done a bit of research to find out if any of your earlier works had for any reason fallen into the status of public domain... What I turned up on the first title I researched blinded me :eek::eek::eek:

Since this is the oldest one that we came up with in your discography, I checked it out first... Good God Almighty!!! There are plenty of eagles watching over this nestegg. :D

Documents Database (Title Search)

Search For: MAIN/HERBIE MANN PLAYS

Items 1 - 2 of 2

For a list of commonly used abbreviations that appear in the catalog record, click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item 1 OF 2 V3510 P156 (COHD)

Date Recorded: 24Mar04

Date Executed: as of 29Feb04; date of cert.: 22Mar04

Party 1: WMG Acquisition Corporation, WMG Holdings Corporation, A. P. Schmidt Company, Atlantic/143, LLC, Atlantic/MR Ventures, Inc., Atlantic/MR II, Inc., Atlantic Recording Corporation, Berna Music, Inc., Big Beat Records, Inc., Big Tree Recording Corporation, Bute Sound, LLC, Cafe Americana, Inc., Chappell & Intersong Music Group (Australia), Ltd., Chappell and Intersong Music Group (Germany), Inc., Chappell Music Company, Inc., Cota Music, Inc., Cotillion Music, Inc., CPP/Belwin, Inc., CRK Music, Inc., E/A Music, Inc., Eleksylum Music, Inc.Elektra/Chameleon Ventures, Inc., Elektra Entertainment Group, Inc., Elektra Group Ventures, Inc., FHK, Inc., Fiddleback Music Publishing Company, Inc., Foster Frees Music, Inc., Foz Man Music, LLC, Inside Job, Inc., Intersong USA, Inc., Jadar Music Corporation, Lava Trademark Holding Company, LLC, Lem America, Inc., London-Sire Records, Inc., McGuffin Music, Inc., Mixed Bag Music, Inc., NC Hungary Holdings, Inc., New Chappell, Inc., Nonesuch Records, Inc., NVC International, Inc., Octa Music, Inc., Penalty Records, LLC, Pepamar Music Corporation.Revelation Music Publishing Corporation, Rhino Entertainment Company, Rick's Music, Inc., Rightsong Music, Inc., Rodra Music, Inc., Sea Chime Music, Inc., SR/MDM Venture, Inc., Summy-Birchard, Inc., Super-Hype Publishing, Inc., T-Boy Music, LLC, T-Girl Music, LLC, Rhythm Method, Inc., Tommy Boy Music, Inc., Tommy Valando Publishing Group, Inc., Tri-Chappell Music, Inc., TW Music Holdings, Inc., Unichappell Music, Inc., WBM Music Corporation, Walden Music, Inc., Warner Alliance Music, Inc., Warner Brethren, Inc., Warner Brothers Music International, Inc.Warner Brothers Publications US, Inc., Warner Brothers Records, Inc., Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., Warner/Chappell Music (Services), Inc., Warner Custom Music Corporation, Warner Domain Music, Inc., Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Corporation, Warner Music Bluesky Holding, Inc., Warner Music Discovery, Inc., Warner Music Distribution, Inc., Warner Music Group, Inc., Warner Music Latina, Inc., Warner Music SP, Inc., Wa rner Sojourner Music, Inc., WarnerSongs, Inc., Warner Special Products, Inc., Warner Strategic Marketing, Inc.Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corporation, Warprise Music, Inc., WB Gold Music Corporation, WB Music Corporation, WBM/House of Gold Music, Inc., WBPI Holdings, LLC, WBR Management Services, Inc., WBR/QRI Venture, Inc., WBR/Ruffnation Ventures, Inc., WBR/Sire Ventures, Inc., We Are Musica, Inc., WEA Europe, Inc., WEA, Inc., WEA International, Inc., WEA Latina Musica, Inc., WEA Management Services, Inc., Wide Music, Inc., WMG Management Services, Inc. & WMG Trademark Holding Company, LLC.

Party 2: Bank of America, NA.

Note: Meteora & 27,009 other titles. Copyright security agreement.

Document Location: (In V3510 D109-211 P1-419)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item 2 OF 2 V3510 P156 (COHD)TITLE: Herbie Mann plays. By Herbie Mann.

:wave:

I went ahead and browsed through many of the other older tunes listed in your discography and there are several that have fallen into the public domain... hopefully you will be reintroducing those to many of us in the form of a new release. As Tedster said...

Methinks, Bruce-meister, you've struck on that which should provide you much satisfaction for years to come...overseeing the mechanisms by which such performances see the light of day again.
Those that were not mega sellers, in their day, are those that didn't have renewed copyrights. While other big established names that you've worked with have all the EAGLES guarding over the golden nesteggs similar to that of Herbie Mann's works. I noticed that "Big Girls Don't Cry" has had a LOT of lawsuits filed over infringement; a lot of activity has gone on under that title.

Good Luck in your endeavor of reintroducing works of the past; I look forward to purchasing an "AUTOGRAPHED" copy of your compilation of musical works. ;)

I'm sort of sketchy on how much time I have available, and just when it's available, but if there's anything I can do to help out... give me a shout.

Ani sez---------->Dang Bruce, I just done a bit of research to find out if any of your earlier works had for any reason fallen into the status of public domain... What I turned up on the first title I researched blinded me

Since this is the oldest one that we came up with in your discography, I checked it out first... Good God Almighty!!! There are plenty of eagles watching over this nestegg.

Brucie sez-------->Thanks Ani.

I have to explain something. I am not always in love with everything that has made it into my discography. For me to make an artist or piece of music part of my legacy, I had better be absolutely "Mad" about it! This is a decision that only I can make.

It sounds to me like you are assuming that I am mainly interested in the income that my music can produce. (I told you about assuming something didn't I?)

Nothing could be further from the truth!!! You don't know me very well yet, Ani. Or indeed, from the posts that I read here, no one on the forum knows exactly where I am coming from!

Consider me the Odd Duck in Music Recording, I guess!

Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

Assumption is the Mother of Fuck-Uption!!!

hee-hee, or it's simply good old paranoia,

i had a aunt, she was seeing man in black

dresses with cylinders at every corner...

http://www.btinternet.com/~homeport/images/p7011.jpg

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Well Bruce, I am learning where you are coming from and I really like what I see!

You make your living having fun and at the top of your game. That is all we really can do is be our best and have fun doing so. If we are not having fun with our skills, we have no skills!!!!!

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

It sounds to me like you are assuming that I am mainly interested in the income that my music can produce. (I told you about assuming something didn't I?)

Nothing could be further from the truth!!! You don't know me very well yet, Ani. Or indeed, from the posts that I read here, no one on the forum knows exactly where I am coming from!

No-No-No Bruce, you're reading my post wrong. I am not trying to pass judgment on anything that you are looking to accomplish; NOT AT ALL. I enjoy research, and there are not very many folks that I have personally come in contact with (even if it's only a virtual setting) that have credits to their name that date beyond the newer copyright laws. Just as a brain teaser to myself, I thought it'd be cool to dig up some titles that were attached to a virtual acquaintence... It blew me away when I viewed how many names were attached as holding ownership rights to Herbie Mann's work and some of the others that I pulled up. I had not even considered what songs you were interested in placing on a compilation CD...

Please don't take things the wrong way, as there was no insult intended. If anything, your history continues to amaze me. Sorry!

Ani sez-------->Please don't take things the wrong way, as there was no insult intended. If anything, your history continues to amaze me. Sorry!

Brucie sez-------->I didn't think you were trying to insult me, Ani..... I mainly want everyone here to understand that there are people, (such as myself) that don't think of the money first....

I never have....

That would be too boring for me.....

and way too ordinary.....

Bruce Swedien

p. s. Don't get me wrong. When the money comes, it's not boring at all. It's just that it has never been my first goal. My first goal has been to make some recordings that people will never forget....

Bruce,

I guess inside of my own mind I wasn't even thinking about $$$ involved in a recreation of your works when I made my post. In reading back through what I wrote though, I can see where you could have thought that I was focused on the money aspect when I referred to certain works as 'nesteggs' or 'golden nesteggs'. I used the word nestegg as a result of seeing how many irons there were in the fire that held ownership rights to the song. It wasn't my intention to place $$$ into the process of reconstructing your works.

Also, I know Bruce, that with you being the Audio Engineer of the works; you will not be the one receiving the major portions of the proceeds. The men in suits will take their fair share before you ever see a dime of the profits... As is with any "artist", the money that goes to you will depend on how well the compilation does after expenses paid out by the labels have been recovered. This makes an endeavor like this very subjective to the market... it's anybody's guess as to how it turns out in the end. These are things that I know.

Maybe you underestimate me Bruce; I'm not assuming that you are doing this for money. Your heart is definitely in the right place; it's all about the music and it starts with a song.

Archived