Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do I Make An MP3 from a CD?

Bill Roberts sez------>Double Gassers is a certified event. - Don't forget it!

We need a Double Gasser framed and signed plaque from the fabuious Bruce, himeself.

Now one of them hanging in my facility would be a real Gass!

Should I design it?? After all, Bruce, you are a GASS...yourself.

Brucie sez------->Bill - Do it! Of course there should be at least two levels of gasser....

Send them to me and i will sign and certify each one.

Bruce Swedien

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok folks, help me here, this is the idea.

Someone design something pretty. It will be a gass!

Like it Bruce? http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XgAdAzEf7vztpLsHxVDhb*ShbeftpTNPQLuL1ijR9g4F5ioTHtkd!zDQyZ5hXR9HbaL5Rhz9c5tAuE0imxe*xwl2Ix7g1YAwWTl6QFDWqDMnzrrIrovFD!aqrH*qjtyKlAZgqjp3xhU/Gasser.JPG?dc=4675522253142405471

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Bill Roberts sez-------->Ok folks, help me here, this is the idea.

Someone design something pretty. It will be a gass!

Like it Bruce?

Brucie sez------>There's nothing there! just a funny little box with an X in it. One of my neighbors cows may be standing on my phone line again. (I'll bet that's it)

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Ummmmmmm I can see it...I must get Lee involved to do something meaningful with me to post. Afterall, everything we do is teamwork!

I am not competant at web goodies and the flash and shine designs.

My lameness of webwork shows!

I bet Vilo could nail it!

Originally posted by Bill Roberts:

Ummmmmmm I can see it...I must get Lee involved to do something meaningful with me to post. Afterall, everything we do is teamwork!

I am not competant at web goodies and the flash and shine designs.

My lameness of webwork shows!

I bet Vilo could nail it!

I'm lost :confused: I only do tripod free websites :D:D:D for now :D

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Bill Roberts sez-------->Bruce, what do you want it to say? Certified double gasser of Level 1 and level 2?

Brucie sez-------->Bill, I want you to have the very first double Gasser Award, Level 2, for design and initiative. It's only fitting. To earn a Gasser Award, someone on the forum must nominate a potential Gasser, and then the forum must vote for one.

I think we have to limit the Gasser awards to something managable. Say, an annual internet ceremony. That way we can all attend.

Your Gasser certificate looks great!

Bruce Swedien

A couple more things about the Gasser Awards.

#1-Craig Anderton has to approve all nominations.

#2-Craig Anderton MUST be present at the award cermony itself! Don't you think? After all, he IS fearless leader!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Bruce,

If your source back in Germany decides they would like a higher quality version of your recording, you can send wav files or the equivalent via an FTP host. You can also use a lossless file compression program such as APE or Shorten, if both users are equipped, to cut down on size during the file transfer and then expand the file back to it's full integrity in sound on the receiving end.

We used this method during the Internotes I project to communicate files all over the world to compile a CD.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

(Cue big band music...sweeping lights, limos arriving with "beautiful people" getting out)...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WELCOME to the 2005 Musicplayer.com GASSER AWARDS!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

WOW ask-------> Hey Mr Viking, is there any chance of us getting some old Miles out of the vault posted in MP3 form?

Ya know, just for us guys on the forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill sez>>>>

Bruce can't do that dude. I hold masters myself...unsung rule. Verbotten.

Maybe if Bruce can licence some, his call...and his call... period.

No serious professional, gives out masters unless it is officially organized.

To Bruce, I am most honored to be number 1 on the gasser level 2 recognition award.

Of course, Craigs seal of approval would be a nice thing as well.

I will get my printer people to do something nice for all.

Just to have anything with your sig on it, is a real treasure...even if we are just Gassing around.

<>

You get more than the seal of approval! You will also recieve the "Superior Order of the SSS Posse" award for your vigilance in alerting me via PM to spam threads, so that I can delete them. And a coveted, rare, Double Gasser award? Absolutely!

Hey, one more MP3 tip...

If you want to send something that sounds good but people won't want to steal, save as a mono MP3. It sounds twice as good as stereo for given bandwidth, and no one wants to steal a mono file.

The reason why it sounds twice as good is that essentially, a 128kbps stereo file is equivalent to two 64kbps streams, whereas a mono file hogs all 128kbps.

Mr.WOW asks-------> Hey Mr Viking, is there any chance of us getting some old Miles out of the vault posted in MP3 form?

Ya know, just for us guys on the forum.

Brucie answers-------->First - I only did a few recordings with Miles on Quincy Jones projects. As could be imagiined they were incredible studio experiences...

re: old Miles out of the vault posted in MP3 form? - Is there anything about NO that you can't understand!!!!

Thanks.....

Brucie the Viking!!!

Ani asks-------->If your source back in Germany decides they would like a higher quality version of your recording.

Brucie answers------->I would never send anything but a High-Res. recording of my master tapes to a record company for wide release, once a deal has been struck.

Actually I still have my Ampex 351 Stereo master recording machine that I made all those incredible recordings on! That is the very machine that I will use to transfer to a minimum of 24 bit 96 k for further work. (De-noise, de-thump, etc....)

Some of my beautiful recordings are in Hamburg right now for just such work. i am also making TC Electronic "Unwrap" 5.1 test versions to see if I like them! Then DTS will start the DTS 5.1 authoring process for me as a test to see how I like those!

Ani, you don't know me very well yet! I couldn't send an MP3 anywhere for anything except a very doo-doo little demo.....

Bruce Swedien

Brucie sez-----> I would never send anything but a High-Res. recording of my master tapes to a record company for wide release, once a deal has been struck.

Ani sez-----> I realize this, but my mention of FTP was simply in making you aware of the fact that it is possible to send lossless digital media from one location to another over the internet without compromising any sound quality. Of course, you would want to utilize a secure server in doing so.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Hi Bruce,

What mac system are you currently running? What model mac is your most recent machine? I have in front of me my 17th mac since they were first made. I am an addict.

BTW, since the forum members were so helpful in sharing how to do the MP3 thing, how about a little quid pro quo? Why don't you now show us how to record the equivilent of "Thriller"? You name the time and place, we will ALLL be there!!

;)

KB Gunn

....government is a necessary evil, but it is dangerous nonetheless ... somewhat like a drug. Just as a drug that in the proper dosage can save your life, an overdose of government can be fatal.

-Neal Boortz

Ani sez-----> I realize this, but my mention of FTP was simply in making you aware of the fact that it is possible to send lossless digital media from one location to another over the internet without compromising any sound quality. Of course, you would want to utilize a secure server in doing so.

Brucie sez------>Ani - I still don't trust all this internet dog-doo! Probably never will......

More than likely I will personally carry my precious recordings to wherever they have to go.

In my older and better American/Swedish mind there is no such thing as lossless digital media from one location to another over the internet

I think I am doing pretty well for someone of my generation with all this computer stuff, don't you? (I do get stuck in certain areas though!)

Thank you for your good thoughts and interest.... You are definitly a gasser!

Bruce Swedien

Bill sez>>>>

Bruce can't do that dude. I hold masters myself...unsung rule. Verbotten.

Maybe if Bruce can licence some, his call...and his call... period.

No serious professional, gives out masters unless it is officially organized.

WOW sez----> Chill out Mr.Bill, it was just a question that Mr. Brucie answered fine. It was more or less a joke so keep ya pants on. :thu:

Brucie sez-----> I think I am doing pretty well for someone of my generation with all this computer stuff, don't you? (I do get stuck in certain areas though!)

Ani sez-----> Absolutely!!!! I think that you are doing a great job at getting up and running with this Internet thingie!!! :cool: I know folks that can't get the hang of it even if you hold their hands while walking them through step by step, side by side.

Of course, your intelligence shines through in your writing style so would we expect anything less; it's obvious that you are easy :D Easy to understand and easy to teach, that is. ;)

KB Gunn asks the musical question-------->What mac system are you currently running? What model mac is your most recent machine? I have in front of me my 17th mac since they were first made. I am an addict.

Brucie sez------->Me too!!!

KB Gunn asks---------->What mac system are you currently running?

Brucie answers------->Mac OS X Version 10.3.2.

KB Gunn asks---------->What model mac is your most recent machine?

Brucie answers------->I have many Macs. I lov 'em all. My Pro-Stools system is older. It is a Mac G4. It is a Digidesign Pro-Tools Mix Plus - System-5.1.3 - 24 bit - 48k - 32 Tracks. 4 - digidesign 888/24 I/O ..

My Studio wiring is spectacular! I don't like any extra connectors, swiches distribution amps or any such doo-doo. All oxygen-free wiring. It sounds pretty good!

I am going to up-date my entire Pro-Tools set-up soon. However, I am much too busy with incredible projects for the foreseeable future, to shut down my great little studio for very long!!!

Bruce Swedien

Anderton sez-------->Hey, one more MP3 tip...

If you want to send something that sounds good but people won't want to steal, save as a mono MP3. It sounds twice as good as stereo for given bandwidth, and no one wants to steal a mono file.

The reason why it sounds twice as good is that essentially, a 128kbps stereo file is equivalent to two 64kbps streams, whereas a mono file hogs all 128kbps.

Brucie sez-------->Craig, thanks. I absolutely hate mono! Don't forget, I lived with it for a few years.... The fact that a stereo MP3 has a bit of elegance in it,(By being stereo) is a definite help in this case. The dog-doo quality is also a help for my purpose.....

I think it may be as close to being a little bit pregnant as we can get!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Occasionally a friend of mine that does some mastering work will share a project file with me. As much as I appreciate this for my own personal enjoyment, the files are shared on a professional level. He wants my opinion on the state of the project. Is it done, or does it need a bit more tweaking? Is there something jumping out and ripping my ears off that he's missing due to his close proximity to the project? Does it appeal to my personal taste, or should the "frosting" on the cake be a different color, flavor or texture? Of course, these files are shared with the express understanding that they are NOT to be shared with others.

You can't blame a guy for asking, but sometimes when my buddy is working on a project I am really interested in, the answer to my request for a copy is "no" I understand that this is the answer that is required due to professional standards, and not due to his unwillingness to share. As a fellow professional, I accept this answer in the spirit it was intended. Nobody likes to say "no" to a friend, but a true friend can accept that answer without questioning it.

Yes, there's bass in the caR-R-R-R-R

Archived