Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do I Make An MP3 from a CD?

This will show you how low-tech I really am!

How Do I Make An MP3 from a CD? I have a Macintosh G4. I am on Earthlink. I have itunes. I want to turn a CD into an MP3 that I can send on the internet.

Be gentle with me youse folks....

Bruce Swedien

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce,

In iTunes preferences, you'll see a tab for "Importing". Use the flip menu to switch it from "AAC" (which is what iTunes defaults to) to "MP3 Encoder", set your bit rate from the "Setting" fllip-menu, then select the CD you want to burn, uncheck any tracks you don't want to convert, and click on the "Import" button on the upper right hand corner of the iTunes browser.

first you need to import the audio to your itunes library.

Here you have choices:

You can import the cd audio first and then convert, or just import the file as an mp3 in the first place. It depends if use itunes as your listening library.

Option A (import, then convert)

pop in th ecd and click th ecircle in the top left marked import, then you can highlight the file in your library and go to tools>convert selection to mp3.

this will save the mp3 in your library, as well as the original cd audio file.

Option B (import converted)

Go to preferences, select the tab labelled import and configure itunes to import cd files to mp3 and the conversion quality desired. Then pop in the cd and drag the song you want to convert to the top of the list, hit import as above. should work just fine. i am not at my computer with itunes so someone else may chime in with more exact directions. hope that helps ya out.

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

Thank you.... Thank you....

You are all gassers!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Aren't youuuuuu....? Nah! Never mind!! :D

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Tedster asks-------->Are...ummm, we gonna get a chance to hear this mp3 at some point? Nudge nudge

Brucie answers------->I'm sending a bunch of stuff that I recorded in 1959 thru1970 to a big-ass Record Company in Germany. Stuff with Oscar Peterson, Count Basie & Joe Williams, Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan,etc...etc.. They want to do a retropective on my career with those artists. I have Stereo Master Tapes on all of them in my vault here at home. They want a little rough idea of what I have. (hee-hee!!!)

Now, you know I'm not going to be blasting that doo-doo all over the G-- D--- internet on an MP3!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

FWIW Bruce (for what it is worth)

I use the http://www.dbpoweramp.com to encode to mpeg1 layer 3 (mp3) and in the advanced menu, I use L.A.M.E. type and VBR (Varible bit rate) and set the low side at around 112kbs and the high side at the max of 320kbs.

They are very close to the transparency of a cd but we can hear a slight difference in dynamics and low level resolution.

It works better for quick translation checks over email...well better than any cassette tape I have used.

I hope this helps.

I simply "right click" (PC) on a file, select the db poweramp and select the type of transfer. It has plug ins for almost all formats as well.

It is the only encode/decode scheme I use.

...best of all..it is FREE!

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Tedster asks-------->AHA! Well, with artists like that, I wouldn't settle for an mp3, either!

Brucie sez-------->This is an application where a low-fidelity, but passable, MP3 fills the bill. They won't be tempted to rip it, but it will sound pretty good to them.

Bruce Swedien

Alon sez-------->He's on a Mac, and that's PC only

Brucie sez-------->That's right! A Mac for me!

Here's what I got from our pal Blackfish.....

#1- first you need to import the audio to your itunes library.

Here you have choices:

#2- You can import the cd audio first and then convert, or just import the file as an mp3 in the first place. It depends if use itunes as your listening library.

Option A (import, then convert)

pop in the cd and click the circle in the top left marked import, then you can highlight the file in your library and go to tools

>convert selection to mp3.

this will save the mp3 in your library, as well as the original cd audio file.

Option B (import converted)

Go to preferences, select the tab labelled import and configure itunes to import cd files to mp3 and the conversion quality desired. Then pop in the cd and drag the song you want to convert to the top of the list, hit import as above. should work just fine. i am not at my computer with itunes so someone else may chime in with more exact directions.

My itunes doesn't look like that. Almost though.... Can anyone make it clearer?

Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien:

Thank you.... Thank you....

You are all gassers!!!

Brucie the Viking!!!!

Steve Jobs is the Gasser of all Gassers. Without Steve, you'd have to use a Pee Cee, and the job would take ten times as much time and twenty times the effort. You'd have to download and install a bunch of software that would screw up other software and on and on and on...

Thank God for Apple!

:D:D:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

There's a LAME install for OS X, too, and you can set it up to encode in iTunes via a simple Applescript, but considering Bruce's professed desire for quick and dirty (not to mention brain-dead simple), I figured we'd pass on that this time around. I use LAMEBrain (which you can grab from http://www.versiontracker.com) when I want a high quality MP3 (if that's not too much of an oxymoron. Still, they sound better than cassette).

Dan South sez-------->Steve Jobs is the Gasser of all Gassers. Without Steve, you'd have to use a Pee Cee, and the job would take ten times as much time and twenty times the effort. You'd have to download and install a bunch of software that would screw up other software and on and on and on...

Thank God for Apple!

Brucie sez------->I love my Macs!!! I must have five of them! Am going to get a G5 soon! I need to up-date my Pro-Fools set-up! Chuck, are you listening?

Bruce Swedien

I'm afraid there are a couple of errors in Blackfish's workflow. If you haven't gone in and changed the Importing preferences, just clicking on import will import it as a AAC encoded file, not in any soft of non-lossy uncompressed format. You can set preferences to import as AAC, MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF, or Wave file in the preferences dialog (available under the iTunes menu). Ripping it as an AIFF or Wave file first then converting to MP3 doesn't gain you anything and it more than doubles the amount of time it takes to get the job done.

go to:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

choose:

Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later

>Download

read the manual here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/import.html

One-click Import

You can set up iTunes to automatically add tunes

from a CD to your library when you insert a disc

into your computer. iTunes will even eject the

disc when its done. Of course you can start the

import process manually, too; its your

preference. By default, iTunes compresses your

music so you can fit thousands of songs on your

computer or iPod, and stores your music in the

same format as the iTunes music store. Its

called AAC, and builds upon state-of-the art

signal processing technology from Dolby Labs.

Weapon of Choice

However, you can choose to use different audio

formats for any track that you import from CD.

iTunes lets you convert your music to MP3s at

high bit-rate for no additional charge. Using AAC

or MP3, you can store more than 100 songs in the

same amount of space as a single CD. Discerning

customers and audiophiles want true CD audio, and

now iTunes can give you that quality with the new

Apple Lossless encoder. Youll get the full

quality of uncompressed CD audio using about half

the storage space. You can copy music in this

format onto your iPod or iPod mini, to take

perfect audio wherever you go.

For Vikings - at the bottom of the page:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download iTunes in these additional languages:

Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional),

Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Korean,

Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish

!!! simplified chinese works best :D

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Originally posted by GeorgeVW:

I use LAMEBrain (which you can grab from when I want a high quality MP3 (if that's not too much of an oxymoron. Still, they sound better than cassette).

does that say that itune alone does not make good mp3's ?

So yeah, L.A.M.E. is an OpenSource project, and available for just about everything....

But when are all y'all Windows and Mac types going to wake up to Ogg Vorbis? ;)

:D

Thank $diety for FreeBSD!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Can't one of you computer wizards here make me a little step-by-step manual for making an MP3 out of a CD. You know --

Step #1-Insert playback CD printing side up!

Step #2-etc....

I drive a Ford F-250 diesel truck, 8 speeds forward and two speeds in reverse!

On the farm here I use my John Deere Model 950 diesel tractor to empty the manure spreader, etc, etc.

I can mix the Dog-doo out of some music, make recordings that will make you cry they sound so good!

BUT I HAVE TROUBLE WITH MAKING MP3's out of CD's!!!!

Bruce Swedien

You're using iTunes...I can answer this when I get home and have iTunes in front of me. Don't have it on my work computer, though.

It should be somewhere on the "Save As"...and choose the format...

And sometimes I want to smack iTunes to kingdom come... :mad::D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Damn. I wish dbpoweramp had a MAC plug in. It is so simple...it is stupid simple to use..fast too and can do 100 in a row if need be.

Are we certain it has no MAC support??

Something has to give here. MAC is a superiour platform. This is a simple operation.

I feel your pain Bruce. Damn computers!

Bruce,

Here's step by step.

1. Start iTunes.

2. Go to the iTunes menu (click on iTunes in the menu bar) and choose "Preferences"

3. Under Preferences, click on "Importing".

4. Use the flip-menus in the Importing section to choose "MP3 Encoder" and then the bit rate you want to encode at.

5. Click on "Okay" to close the preferences dialog.

6. Insert CD.

7. When iTunes displays the CD, you have the option of using iTunes "Get Info" function to name the tracks at this point, so they'll have proper names when you're finished. Just highlight the first tune, choose "Get Info" from the File Menu, click on the "Info" tab and type in the information, then click next to go to the next tune. Once you've done that, click on the Import button in the upper right of the iTunes window. Or you can skip naming them and just click on Import, but naming them know will save you some time.

8. Wait until it's finished. Your converted MP3s will be in your iTunes directory, in a directory named whatever artist name you gave if you used the Get Info command. If you didn't use Get Info to name them, there will be a folder called "Unknown Artist" with a folder called "Unknown Album" inside it with the converted tunes.

Angelo,

LAMEBrain gives you many more options and lets you fine tune the ripping process. It's not that iTunes default doesn't do okay, but if I want variable bit-rate files with a minimum of 128k, in joint stereo format (insert many other possible options here), iTunes doesn't do that, as it's aimed at the general public, not compulsive tweakers.

Ted,

Most of the MP3 ripping programs are front-ends for LAME, so the LAMEBrain program I refer to (as well as several others, including some strictly command line tools that are available) are the equivalent of dBPoweramp.

iTunes manual for wild, lady killer vikings

Import from a audio Compact Disc (CDA)

1) Pulldown Menu:

Edit>Preferences>Importing

2) Change the following settings:

Import using: change to MP3 Encoder

Settings: kbps - higher is better

128 kbps is enough for e-mail transfer

3) Pulldown Menu:

File>Add Folder (give it a name, i.e. my music)

4) put a CD in the drive

5) Main Menu of iTunes:

Source : select Audio CD

6) Main Menu Song Name

select all tracks = ctrl+A

right click on the track/tracks = select/unselect,

just selected track s are converted.

7) click the button Import

selected *.cda files are converted and stored

8) click on the Cross button to stop converting

Double Gassers is a certified event.

Don't forget it!

We need a Double Gasser framed and signed plaque from the fabulous Bruce, himself.

Now one of them hanging in my facility would be a real Gass!

Should I design it?? After all, Bruce, you are a GASS...yourself.

The Gasser music player factor.

Archived