Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer distress brainstorming EDIT-Distress Solved

So here's what's happening:

CPU powers up (apparently) with no problem. Why apparently? Because the monitor does not, so I can't see if the screen says welcome or not.

The pilot light on the monitor normally shows yellow when it is on and the CPU is off, green when the CPU is on. Piolt light currently shows yellow with CPU on.

The monitor in the past has rarely occasionally "blacked out" and seconds later resumed normalcy.

So, am I looking at a problem with the monitor's power supply? This is an five year old CRT (no flatscreen's here :(

Or, am I looking at an issue with the video card in the CPU?

Your thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re-seat the video card check the monitor cord to the PC and try it again. The monitor apparently isn't getting a signal based on what you said. Your video card may have died.
No signature required.

Does the monitor happen to be an HP? I have one of theirs that will go out of focus, then blank out and reset with clarity. I know it's in failure mode but have to hang with it for awhile.

If you've taken Paul's advice and turned the monitor off and then back on I'd swap in a known good monitor 1st, or if you have a detachable cable, swap it out. (I had a couple of monitors that the attached cable went bad and if I wiggled the cable and got it into the right position the monitor would work. One was blank like yours, the other lost one color.) Then, if you have the same issue, open the box and re-set the video card. If you have onboard video, install a slot card and disable the onboard, if possible.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Bill, what's the boot up beep count?

Award BIOS

One long beep: Memory problem

There could be a failure in the first bank of memory. This is hopefully just a poorly inserted module, but could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

One long, then two short beeps: Video error

Possible problem with the video card, video card memory, insertion of the video card, or even the motherboard.

One long, then three short beeps: Video error

There could be a problem with the video card, video card memory, insertion of the video card, or even the motherboard.

Continuous beeping: Memory or video card problem

Memory problems are the likely culprits when a BIOS begins to beep uncontrollably.

AMI BIOS

One short beep: DRAM refresh failure

As the system attempts to refresh the memory, there is a problem. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Two short beeps: Parity circuit failure

This is a system memory problem caused while checking the parity bit on the system memory. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but it could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Three short beeps: Base 64K RAM failure

The first bank of memory (within the first 64K to be exact) has a problem. Hopefully, it is just a poorly inserted module, but it could also be a defective module or motherboard memory bank.

Four short beeps: System timer failure

One of the timers used for controlling motherboard system functions has an error. There's either a failure of the motherboard or one of the devices on the motherboard.

Five short beeps: Processor failure

Some sort of problem related to the processor. This doesn't necessarily mean the processor is dead though because the processor runs the BIOS code. Common causes may be poor jumper settings on the motherboard or overheating problems (from overclocking?).

Six short beeps: Keyboard controller failure

Either the chip that communicates with the motherboard is bad, or the right keyboard is not properly connected.

Seven short beeps: Virtual mode exception error

This is likely a problem with the processor; it doesn't necessarily mean the processor is dead though because the processor runs the BIOS code.

Eight short beeps: Display memory failure

The frame buffer memory on the video card cannot be written to. The computer will likely continue to boot on this error, but there's a problem with the video card.

Nine short beeps: ROM BIOS checksum failure

There is probably a defective BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard.

Ten short beeps: CMOS error

There is a problem with the motherboard as it attempts to communicate with the CMOS (the memory that holds your BIOS settings).

Eleven short beeps: Cache memory error

There is likely a problem with your system's L2 cache or motherboard. Check to make sure the cache is inserted correctly and the motherboard jumpers are set properly before deciding the cache module itself is bad.

Continuous beeping: Memory or video problem

Memory problems are the likely culprits when a BIOS begins to beep uncontrollably.

Phoenix BIOS

The Phoenix BIOS has far and away the most complex and detailed array of POST codes - complex enough that every POST code has a following code associated with it. See http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/phoenixbeep.htm.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Billster: is it a big honkin 21' NEC like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/geezer123/cube.jpg

Reason I asked is because mine always gives off a fairly loud electronic "Buzz" as it powers up. If it doesn't - I realize that my power switch is off. :freak:

Lynn G

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Billster: is it a big honkin 21' NEC like this?

A 21 FOOT monitor, wow that is big! ;)

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Reason I asked is because mine always gives off a fairly loud electronic "Buzz" as it powers up. If it doesn't - I realize that my power switch is off. :freak:

Mine does that buzz thing when it recognizes the CPU. Must be something with the CRT NEC uses :confused:

Bill,

MACINTOSH STARTUP TONES

TONES ERROR

Error Tone. (two sets of different tones) Problem with logic board or SCSI bus.

Startup tone, drive spins, no video Problem with video controller.

Powers on, no tone. Logic board problem.

High Tone, four higher tones. Problem with SIMM.

On an iMac, Blue and White G3, Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics), and PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze keyboard):

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected.

2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed.

3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing.

4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM.

5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block.

On a Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics):

1 beep = no RAM installed.

2 beeps = incompatible RAM types.

3 beeps = no good banks.

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block).

5 beeps = processor is not usable.

Should you hear any of these beeps, and haven't just installed new RAM or otherwise mucked about with the insides of your Mac, Apple suggests that you call your Apple Authorized Service Provider for troubleshooting assistance.

This is a great site for bios information, codes & etc.

Our Joint

It's most likely either the monitor or the video card. My advice is to take the CPU to a local computer store... plug in one of their monitors and see if it works. If not, chances are it's the vid card. If it does work, your monitor is dead. Time for that flatscreen you were talking about. ;)

Not a Mac guy myself, but if you can remember how to access the floppy or cdrom using only keystrokes then try that. If you see the light go on for that drive, it would indicate the OS is running and should tell you the video card is ok. Again, assuming the Mac OS will not boot up if the video card is not functioning (like in Windows).

If you have another computer, definitely try the monitor on that.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Well, here we are:

Last night I pulled the CPU up to the light of day, opened the case, pulled the video card, examined the jack connections for cracked solder or anything obvious like that, re-seated the video card in the slot, and....no change.

I know the CPU is running OK, because I can hear the the tick-tick of the hard drive when I power up or power down my connected firewire MOTU 828.

I'm confident it's either the video card or the monitor. The only other possibility is the connection between the video card slot and the mother board. My plan is to head to the store this evening and connect to a known good monitor and see what we see.

20" Flat Panel Cinema?...must...control...G.A.S. ;)

So it turned out to be the monitor. Took the CPU to the Apple store, plugged in a VGA, tadaaa - picture.

Apple store selling only flat panels, starting at $799 :eek::eek::eek:

Off to competing computer store, various brands of flat panel starting around $450 :eek: (only one ;) )

Upside of flat panel marketing - old VGA monitors dirt cheap.

Off to Best Buy - 19"CRT for $180

Oddly, we had been discussing a new adult computer and dedicating this one to the munchkin's educational software (He's closing in on 3, needs to start doing some stuff. Decided to save budget for the fall and stick it out with CRT.

Might have been able to scrounge up some better prices online, but time factor killing us.

Dak, thanks for those codes. I'm sure they will be helpful in the future :wave:

Archived