Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone know what a .cfs file is?

I had a client walk in today with a 50 CD box full of what is "allegedly" her latest album.

She wants me to remix it.

Problem is.... she doesn't know what it was recorded on. The guy that did it has disappeared without a trace. (Phone disconnected, even)

Pop in the disks and there is ONE file on each disk with a cryptic name such as: A00000_0.CFS.

She said she might remember it was a Yamaha "all in one box". I'm guessing an AW4416.

Does anyone know if there is a proprietary format with such an extension as CFS?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jackpine,

Yes, this is a backup disk from an AW4416 (the AW2816 might also use this format). It's a proprietary format, however a longtime AW4416 user has written a program that can take a backup disk and extract all the audio to WAV files on a PC. As an AW owner I use it a lot myself!

You can download the program, called AWExtract, from http://socialentropy.com/aw4416

I love this place.

And you folks are BEST.

I googled this stupid extension all afternoon. Went to Yamahas' site and searched like crazy. Nothing.

Ask here and 30 minutes later I'm blissed out.

I downloaded the AWExtract file and it worked beautifully.

Now the music is a whole other thing...... :o:freak:

Originally posted by jackpine:

Now the music is a whole other thing...... :o:freak:

You just reminded me of a great story.

I, too, went through hell trying to pull up an old project for a friend/client... but this was worse. It was analog, and though we had 2" 24-track and 1/2" 8-track, this was a 1/2" 16-track reel. No dice.

So, I had to rent a 16-track open reel deck just to hear the stuff before trying to do any work on it. Had to drive all over town, pay a ridiculous price, hook into the deck at my studio and, some four hours later, finally cued the tape and...

THE MUSIC SUCKED! ARRRGGGHHH!

- Jeff

Originally posted by jackpine:

I love this place.

And you folks are BEST.

I googled this stupid extension all afternoon. Went to Yamahas' site and searched like crazy. Nothing.

Ask here and 30 minutes later I'm blissed out.

I downloaded the AWExtract file and it worked beautifully.

Finest kind! This is a great advantage of forums like these. As much as I appreciate the uses of Google, instead of comparing alphanumeric strings you get applied information! :freak:
Maybe that's why Mr. AW4416 disappeared. That has to be seriously bad music for an engineer to move and cancel his phone just to get away from it! :eek::freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived