Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you correctly identify these sounds?

Out of sheer curiosity and related to a research project I'm working on, how many of you can tell which kind of microphone setup is used in each of these samples? There is a Blumlein, XY-stereo etc.

http://www.midasstudios.fi/samples/choir.jpg

There is no additional processing used (reverb, dynamics or EQ) to keep things simple.

sample 0

sample 1

sample 2

sample 3

sample 4

If I get any replies, I'll let you know how close you got. Thanks for participating!

Martin

PS. Sorry about using mp3's...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not listened yet... but before I do, can you at least tell me which setups were used? XY, Blumlein, what else? Decca tree? Spaced pair? ORTF? M-S? There's five samples given... are each using a different technique?

All five samples are different, but the idea is to find out how much one can guess from just listening. Any thoughts and comments are welcome, don't take it too seriously. Thanks for helping me!

Yes Phait, that's her.

Martin

I'd be at a loss, except to say that 1 and 3 sound creamy, milky, and transparent. :D Oh, wait, that's another thread!!! :D

I'm not familiar enough with different mic techniques that I could tell which technique was used on which sample.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Darn, I wish I could do this. I just have one cheap-o Apple computer speaker on this computer here. But I'd be in the same boat as Tedster anyway: "I'm not familiar enough with different mic techniques that I could tell which technique was used on which sample." I use either X-Y or space pair for just about anything that requires stereo. :D

Martin - I'm on dialup so I only got the first three.

1 - is mono.

2 - is blumlien?

3 - is wider still maybe spaced x/y pair or spread MS.

great bass singer - bottom B. :)

dammit - I had to download them all.

3 - is the widest so I'd say it's a wide spaced X/Y

4 - has a strong center but wide spread - MS??

5 - is similar to 4 except it has more room sound.

cheers

john

I'll D/L them later and listen on cans and ADAM's, but based on what I heard on my $15 computer speakers:

0. Mono

1. XY

2. Blumlein pair (lots of room)

3. M-S

4. Spaced omnis

Pretty hard to tell under the current listening conditions. :)

One last question... was the source to mic distance consistent? IOW, were some mics closer or further away than other setups? That would definitely skew the results if they were at different distances from the choir.

Guys,

this is so exciting for me! Phil, you must have amazing ears to hear that on your computer speakers! Very very close there already...

The source to mic distance is consistent, as are most other other things in the recording, which makes the test special. Overbias, this hopefully answers your question. It's probably unusual to be able to compare the different setups. Hopefully we'll learn what each one does by doing this!

Should I go out and buy a teddy bear and send it to the guy who gets all five right? Suggestions?

BTW, I'd be very happy to just hear which one you'd prefer. Honestly, not sure how many I would get right myself. First one hopefully. :)

John Sayers, I salute you for spending modem time on me! I'm honoured. Perfect pitch you have, yes? The singers are indeed excellent, a chamber choir called Lege Artis from St. Petersburg, Russia. Wonderful choir and beautiful people.

Martin

Hmmm, on cheap laptop headphones...

0 mono

1 m-s (decent separation)

2 wide omnis (the wide separation)

3 x-y (similar to 1 with more room)

4 Blumlein (I hear the most room here)

Those folks can flat out SING... :thu:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

4-dak,

thanks, you are so close you can almost touch it! OK if I wait a little longer before I announce the setups used? This gives valuable information on how we perceive sound, and it'll be great to share an even more complete report on the forum.

I know Bruce once complained about not hearing any good choir recordings from the Nordic countries, hoping he would have something to add to the discussion? Guess he won't even touch mp3's... :(

Martin

Don't have the patience to wait much longer :) Will spill the beans soon if this is how far we got.

If there's someone on this forum who can tell exactly which microphone techniques were used, speak up now and be forever celebrated among us deadly.

Martin

Phil, of course you were close! You've got great years!!! (as if it doesn't show in your avatar)

One thing you should know is that we Nordic people never exaggerate and very seldom tell stories that aren't true. I'm so surprised nobody questioned my time machine yet. But hey, this forum is a surprise every single day.

Martin

Archived