Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dont know if you have heard this band. but i think there great. the production on the album is wicked..

it was produced by Paul Epworth whos making a bit of a name for himself. and mixed by Rich Costey.. i like hes sound..

http://www.blocparty.com

what you think?

Do not fear mistakes. There are none.-

Miles Davis.

Stop moaning everyone!!! Shut up and MAKE MUSIC!!!!!! -

Bruce Swedien

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here... gottit a few weeks ago and it stayed on my car stereo for a whole 6 days! Yes, it's grower. And it is that good. Of course, to each their own... The solo on the 3rd song is nasty, with the laser gun thingy. Dare we say it? Nah, let's just let unfold.

What's with all the clone bands these days? Interpol, Bloc Party. I mean, some of them are very good at recreating how bands like Joy Division, Gang of Four, etc, might have gone on to create more work slavishly in their old modes if they'd been so inclined (or still alive).

Don't get me wrong, I hate myself for kind of liking Interpol (I haven't warmed up to Bloc Party, yet, and don't think I will -- but I was horrified by Interpol when I first heard one of their eery recreations. And now, damn it, I like some of that stuff. Mostly the JD stuff, but they can crank up a pretty good psuedo-Smiths tune, too.)

Still, I'm more interested in the next big thing -- not recreations of what was hip in my long lost early adulthood.

I don't even care if they recreate something from the past as long as it's really good. But that's rarely the case...

Well, I'm kind of kidding. Obviously, if you enjoy a certain piece of music that should be a good thing.

I guess what I'm saying is that some of these young bands are so adept at knicking the style and signature sounds of some of my favorite bands from a quarter century ago that it's kind of eery.

Out here, a lot of folks look to the Coachella festival as an affordable way to see a lot of the current crop of ostensibly hip bands. I was looking at the lineup and sampling the music of a number of the featured bands (on MusicMatch On Demand) and I realized that Interpol was just part of a trend.

I mean, sure, in the 70's there was a big 50's rock'n'roll revival -- but I can't think of much lasting music that came out of it -- and serious music fans were bemusedly tolerant of it at best. (And there was excretia like Sha Na Na. Ugh.)

Don't get me wrong, I suspect that the merits of some of this new crop of late 70's-mid 80's music will give some of it some staying power.

But I can't help but think it's just a sign of cultural confusion and perhaps nostalgia. Those are not, in themselves, bad things, as these periods of "neo-pop-classicism" often preceed a period of increased creativity. But... well, I dunno.

But, yeah, Interpol -- or Bloc Party, for that matter -- are certainly no Sha Na Na... yet.

;)

i know what you mean in some parts of what you said..

however. i am a fan of music, as i am sure you r aswell. i dont care if it sounds abit like joy Division or who ever. if it helps in lighting up my day.. i'm in it.

what if i were to tell you that someone very near to

joy Division think that bloc party r the best band to come along in many years?

also. i'm not sure how it is in the states, but for the last ten years. in the uk all we have had is boy bands in the top ten taking all the spot light. but now bands like the above have taken it back. its nice to turn on the radio and hear BP or IP come out the speakers..

anyway.. peace :)

Do not fear mistakes. There are none.-

Miles Davis.

Stop moaning everyone!!! Shut up and MAKE MUSIC!!!!!! -

Bruce Swedien

I hear you.

Of course, the only guy close to JD I really cared about has been dead for a long time. :( (And that was hit home recently when, after thoroughly enjoying the first half of 24 Hour Party People, I struggled to get through the second half, and when I finished I was sorry I had. But the stuff before Ian died was pretty fascinating -- and the Devoto stuff was, indeed, priceless.)

On the radio/TV/media/boy band thing:

Yeah, US music broadcast/cable media really, really sucks mud. Too, I guess. I haven't paid much attention at all since the mid-80's when I was actively working as a freelance engineer and producer and found out (the hard way) that all the "modern rock" stations' playlists were pretty much all bought and paid for.

Nah, don't mind me on the neo new wave bands. I'm just a cranky ol' man. And, like I said, I really do kind of like a number of Interpol's songs.

I'll give Bloc Party more of a listen. After all, one thing that's clear to me, like Interpol, BP seems to love a lot of the same music I do. And, like Interpol, they understand that music's forms and conventions and have a ready supply of hooks.

Funny thing about rock n roll is that (with some exceptions) is always growing on what has been done before. Beatles, Stones, Zep, ff>> to Pistols, Nirvana, (get my drift, just fill in the blank with any band), they all sort built (stole, copied) of what they heard, loved, and admired. In essesnce, most wanted "to be" those guys in that band, so we did what they did. That kind of explains we so and so, sound like so and so. I've come to accept it. Yes there are blatant rip offs around, so I vote by not buying it (seen Top 20 cd's lately... suck fest).

Forgot my point...

Anyway, it's cool. I've learned to appreciate & love some music that would surprise me 10 years ago. The music I grew upwith seems childish to me now. We all get old. I try to keep my ears open, don't wanna turn into one of those "it use to be so much better back when..." guys.

MTV & radio sucks here too. Mc Music has taken over. It's disposable music.

• 1 month later...

Archived