Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tascam DP-01FX $500 HD recorder

Anyone know about this unit? It is less than $500 and has a 40GB HD. I think I might could buy one for $450.

I have a Fostex MR-8 and the 128MB CF card is way too small. I need to get a 512mb or 1GB CF card. A 1GB CF card (I think it has to be high-speed?) can be had for maybe $90. So, I could make demo's a lot easier for $90.

A 1GB CF card, I might also be able to record a live gig with that much memory.

Or, sell the Fostex. Say I get $250. For another $110 over the $90 I'd spend for the CF card, I'd have a HD unit.

Just wondering if anyone has used this or has knowledge of how much better it could be over Fostex MR-8.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Anyone know about this unit? It is less than $500 and has a 40GB HD. I think I might could buy one for $450.

I have a Fostex MR-8 and the 128MB CF card is way too small. I need to get a 512mb or 1GB CF card. A 1GB CF card (I think it has to be high-speed?) can be had for maybe $90. So, I could make demo's a lot easier for $90.

A 1GB CF card, I might also be able to record a live gig with that much memory.

Or, sell the Fostex. Say I get $250. For another $110 over the $90 I'd spend for the CF card, I'd have a HD unit.

Just wondering if anyone has used this or has knowledge of how much better it could be over Fostex MR-8.

Just remember that this is a fairly new machine from Tascam, if it does not sell well, Tascam will drop support like a hot potato.

Just ask Tascam customers... ;)

I think you can do what you want with the Tyros or the PSR3000 [not completly sure] but somebody @ www.synthzone.com @ the arranger forum did a wonderful piece [or several] with a PSR2000 and he's computer with a regular sound card.

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

What a coincidence, that's the route I've taken (with a PC-only detour in the middle for a while). IIRC we talked about you possibly buying my MR-8 at one point . . .

I like the DP-01fx and you can probably get one for about $450 new-in-box from a dealer via ebay. I look at it as the harddisk equivalent of the MR-08. I did the 01fx as opposed to the 01 specifically to get the phantom powered XLR inputs (I have a couple of condensor mics I use for live to 2-track recording). It's painless to use for recording rehearsals and shows as long as 2 tracks is enough for you and so far has worked fine for me (not many hours on it yet). I'm in the process of processing a rehearsal recording I did last week. My band did a 35 minute set at music festival and I recorded our last 2 run-throughs. It was very simple to use for that and relatively painless to get the tracks onto the PC as wav files. It does take a while to "export" the tracks to wav files that you can xfer to the PC but once they are ready it's a USB connection and a copy.

That said - if I were buying now I'd be very tempted by the new Fostex MR-8HD ( link to it at Zzounds ) for $399 (or possibly less) you get 4-track simultaneous recording (instead of just 2) onto a 40G HD. No info on the Fostex site yet so I don't know if it has phantom power on the XLR inputs or not (something that would matter to me but maybe not you). I don't think it's available yet (maybe scheduled for the end of June) but I'd wait until then for 4-track recording.

craigb @ TB, G&LDP, the Dudepit (boek @ Dudepit 1)

Hey Craig! Yep, I spoke with you. Thanks for posting. And I did not know Fostex is coming out with MR-8HD. For immediate (next few months), I don't really need more than two tracks. If I could find a high-speed CF 1GB card for the MR8, it might be okay.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

The DP01FX is not just an MR8 with a HDD. The effects are far superior, the muc pres are better, the converters are better, and so forth. Highly recommend in that price point.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived