Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a question about transferring Windows OS

A previous post has me wondering. Let's say that I buy a computer that comes with Windows XP. Like a good boy I register my copy of XP so I can get all the updates, support?, etc. Now, a year later, I sell the PC. Does the new owner now have an illegal copy of Windows? Am I supposed to sell the computer without an OS? Anyone know or have thoughts on this?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe there's no problem selling the copy of XP along with the computer.

But there are issues with the registration process. If you try to register the same s/n on a different computer, I'm told the software has an algorithm that checks available hardware s/n's on the machine (CPU s/n, IDE and other controllers, etc). Supposedly, if the software 'thinks' it's being installed on a completely different machine it can refuse to register. Or something.

Now that I come to think of it, I'm pretty hazy on this issue. But at least I've helped bump you back to the top where someone who actually knows something might be able to help you... ;)

When xp is installed, it's serial is coded to the serial/identifier of the cpu it is being installed on. The expectation is that the xp os that came with that computer is supposed to forever stay with that computer.

You..or the next owner..can prove that theory when you or he or she installs the next hard drive on that computer and has to call Microsoft to get XP reauthorized.

xp doesn't care who you are..or who the next guy is...it just wants to be somewhat assured it's still installed on that one same computer.

To take it further...if you go down to Best Buy and purchase a standalone copy of Win xp (with it's one-of-a-kind serial) and you go home and install THAT on your pc.....and then sell the pc....but keep the standalone win xp to install on your next home built pc....guess what's gonna happen when the guy that bought your pc has to call Microsoft for a reauthorization when he/she installs a new hard drive? Whoops...you kept the install cd..and the serial....and Microsoft's security will figure out if two different people are calling in for reinstalls of that one XP on multiple computers.

So..in that instance, you'd also want to make sure you give your win xp cd to the guy that buys your computer...cuz you certainly can't keep it and expect to use it on a different pc too.

If you have an OEM copy of XP that came pre-installed with your PC (like a Dell) then the license follows the computer. If you decided to throw 98 on the box and then take the copy of XP off and it put it on a new box, then you'd also need to remove the license sticker as well.

Here is a Microsoft link to give you some reading...

Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP

As Bookumdano mentioned, activating an XP license number on a specific computer binds them together. Microsoft considers that each PC needs an operating system... theirs. They have a *hashing value* standard that gets applied to the various hardware in a PC. It happens that network adapters, CPUs and video cards have high enough values to trip the "reactivation" scenario.

Microsoft will reactivate a license to a new PC, provided your call them and grovel with the correct reasons (i.e. - Old PC retired/died and bought new one without Windows). But, they will give you a long totally numeric replacement key to use. I've done that.

I recently moved a HDD from one PC to another, and booted from it, to get data off of it. It responded that I had only 4 days to reactivate, because it detected enough hash value changes to indicate the entire computer had been exchanged.

I have also reinstalled XP on several PCs and changed the registration information without issue. The license was installed onto the same PC as before, so the hash values matched.

I also have a removable drive bay on this PC. One HDD is configured just for multitrack recording. The other has all my internet and productivity applications on it. They use the same license key, which is legal. I can't use both drives at the same time.

So, plan on selling a PC with XP installed. Microsoft doesn't have an answer for, "I decised to put Linux on this PC and sell the XP license to someone else." :rolleyes:

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Originally posted by Dylan:

If you have an OEM copy of XP that came pre-installed with your PC (like a Dell) then the license follows the computer. If you decided to throw 98 on the box and then take the copy of XP off and it put it on a new box, then you'd also need to remove the license sticker as well.

Here is a wild thing about Dell. They do put a legitimate license key sticker on the side of the PC. But, for massproduction purposes, they use a different *volume license* key and duplicate it for the entire series. My last employer was total Dell. And, we'd set up batches of the same model at a time. They all had the same key in them. You can check it with this application - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

Just some useless trivia...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

He he, I actually knew this about Dell's image (I used to work for them). My company does the same thing. We have a volume license and every copy of XP is deployed through Remote Installation Service (RIS) with the same CD-key, even though we have seperate licenses available for each machine.

Archived