Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Now this is a pretty cool map

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked out the http://maps.google.com thing?

No DL's necessary. The zoom range is pretty good. You can only get so close, of course. My front porch is a couple pixels -- but you can make out the outline of my apartment and the narrow walkway between it and the front building.

You can switch more or less instantly from map view to sat view and even overlay directions on the satellite view.

You can also drag the page continuously up, down, or to the side which is strangely fascinating -- kind of like flying in a plane depending on the zoom level.

All this stuff is pretty cool.

And, I suppose, pretty scary.

Before the Iraq war started I was reading about some of the weapons our military is working on.

There's one that's some kind of satellite based laser/particle beam/thing that can supposedly turn someone into "a pillar of fire." (That was the quote on the mil tech analysis site. I thought it was awfully poetic -- or, more properly -- awfully Old Testament.)

BTW -- if you use Firefox and have pipelining turned on, the maps.google site may come in unexpectedly slow even on a very fast connection.

Originally posted by theblue1:

Have you checked out the http://maps.google.com thing?

BTW -- if you use Firefox and have pipelining turned on, the maps.google site may come in unexpectedly slow even on a very fast connection.

I use the google maps thing all the time for real estate. Just type a complete address, including zip code and it'll take you to the map link for that address. The resolution is not as good as I really need for some situations but it's ggod enough for a general idea of that is in the area, how near schools, parks & etc are from a given property. Smart Map is better, a feature of our MLS, but it requires IE. Because I prefer Firefox I use the Google Map.

I'll have to see if Pipeline is turned on. I've never experienced that map coming on unexpectedly thing.

I'll try out the NASA one. D/Ling it now.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Slowly (AKA Kcba:

Sorry nasa has google beat. Any spot, from pole to pole. Kcbass

Nope, ain't all that, at least not for my use. Too slow and won't search by address. I could not zoom in either or maybe just couldn't find the right way to go about it.

Locks my wireless laptop up running an Athlon XP on Windows XP with 512 MB RAM.

Doesn't do well with my other PC either, running 384 MB ram and Windows 2000 Pro.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I wanted to try the Nasa one, but it's PC only.

That's Windows only ;)

I'll have to dig out a Windows machine somewhere and check this out.

Thanks for the link KcBass, this looks like it should be awesome :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by 4-Dak Recorder:

Originally posted by Slowly (AKA Kcba:

Sorry nasa has google beat. Any spot, from pole to pole. Kcbass

Nope, ain't all that, at least not for my use. Too slow and won't search by address. I could not zoom in either or maybe just couldn't find the right way to go about it.

Locks my wireless laptop up running an Athlon XP on Windows XP with 512 MB RAM.

Doesn't do well with my other PC either, running 384 MB ram and Windows 2000 Pro.

I thought it was locking up also, its slower than heck, and uses a lot of resources. You take an astronauts view and then zoom in. To go from outerspace to my street took about four minutes with me zooming in closer and closer, taking sometimes thirty seconds to change maps. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

They note on their website (in the requirements section, iirc) that the maps might be slow coming because they don't have the resources at the moment to serve them as they'd like.

They *are* going to upgrade soon tho

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Type your address into the google search window, with city, state and zip code. Click on the map link and once that map is up, click on the satellite link at the upper right. You'll see an aerial view from quite high. On the left you'll find the zoom control. Click on the closest zoom bar and see how fast it is. Like night and day over the World Wind.

Keyhole is another system that's similar to google map, slower but better resolution. It, however, is very old, at least 2 years, outdated.

Our Joint

I tried checking out some famous places. Noticed that the details of the White House's roof are grayed out. :thu:

Also, the differences in development density between, major urban areas and non-urban areas are pretty amazing.

Archived