Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'd prefer Ashlee over ...

50 cent (or whatever the name is).

I saw them/him on Saturday Night Live (ha!) last night. Pure crap.

It was him, a scratcher guy (where real drummers used to be) and about 6 dancers. EVERYTHING, except maybe his voice, was pre-recorded. Karaoke would be a compliment. Any 12 year old kid can do this just as well in their parent's basement.

Complete and utter drivel. It was the penultimate archetype of what makes his genre suck to many people. Especially me. As far as I am concerned there wasn't one musician on that stage for this "musical" act.

And they hand out awards for this? People spend money on this? Defend this junk all you want, but I will never be convinced. I've seen it.

In a heartbeat I would go see Ashlee. At least the musicians in the band actually play.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

......a date with Lorena Bobbit?

Many Hip-Hop'ers have the good sense to take a live band with with them to perform on SNL.

Usually with good results.

As far as your distaste for the genre, to each his own.

Is it 50 Cent that you don't like, Prague, or is it all rap/hip-hop?

FYI, I'm not a fan of 50, personally, but there's quite a bit of hip-hop that I love. And I believe that a good turntablist is every bit a musician as any other instrumentalist. Just my opinion, of course.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

And I believe that a good turntablist is every bit a musician as any other instrumentalist. Just my opinion, of course.

- Jeff

now THAT is funny! :freak:

yes.. im sure a turntablist knows a LOT about music...and has studied music and practised for 15 years to be "every bit a musician as any other instrumentalist"... and yes.. i AM being sarcastic.

as a musician... Im insulted by this.

You're saying the turntablist was, uh, 'lipsynching'?

That's a shame, because watching a good turntablist close up is absolutely amazing.

Turntablism is probably the most exciting new instrumental form in pop music.

Any dork can drop a needle. (Just like any dork can load a sample into a sampler and play it.)

But it requires a real artistry to create entirely new music with a couple of tables.

Turntablism grew out of a sense that regular folks were shut out of the music biz. Kids didn't have money for Emulators and other multi-mega-thousand dollar samplers so they grabbed a couple decks and started sampling things "the hard way" -- taking bits and pieces of old grooves and recombining them in real-time live performance.

It's an amazing art form and a whole lot of musicians simply don't get it.

Yeah, watching someone sequence drum beats is inspiring too. :rolleyes:

Maybe some deep lyrical content from Mr. Cent will change your mind, Prague -

Yea, we over here, with some fat chicks, haha

there so sexy i wanna bang them

give me a suckin job girl

[50 Cent]

Yo, I dont be fucking with them fat bitches

Thats Yayo, all the fat bitches

[Chorus]

Dont be stuck on the things they say, now you know its a nasty world

I aint fucking with you anyway, cause I know youre a nasty girl

I aint ever gonna discriminate, so let me compliment your eyes

[50 Cent]

Fat, fat, them Snickers got your ass getting fat, fat

Those cookies got your ass getting fat, fat

That Cake got your ass getting fat, fat

Bitch you grown, that aint baby fat, fat

[50 Cent]

In the gym I see your ass up on the Stairmaster

But you got it on level two bitch go a little faster

Look girl, I aint gonna lie, I'll tell you how I feel

They should handcuff your big ass to the treadmill

You wanna work out now, cause you know its getting hot

And your big ass fitting to pop all up out a halter top

Find a right chick wearing some tight shit and its on

See your ass wear some tight shit we like, She wrong

[Chorus]

[50 Cent]

That Burger King done got your ass fat, fat

McDonalds done got your ass fat, fat

That Dominos done got your ass fat, fat

Fat, Fat

[Lloyd Banks]

I like em slim in the waste

Curves in the right place

A bitch with hips, lips, and a tight face

Your appetite will put a dent up in a niggas salary

You need to stop burning that weed and burn them calories

Your attitude is like you always had gear

You got a ponytail, you aint always have hair

I just love to see your capris coming down, mami leave

On the town, stay away if you 300 pounds

[Chorus]

[50 Cent]

Fat, fat, them cinnasticks got your ass fat, fat

Them Little Debbies done got your ass fat, fat

These cupcakes done got your ass fat, fat

Fat, fat

[Tony Yayo]

I aint gonna trip, I hang at the bar with my wallet

Im freaking off in your car or your closet

And aint nothing wrong with a big, strong girl

If you could cook your ass off, Ill give you the world

You could be skinny or fat, white or black

Nigga pussy is pussy, so yea, Ill hit that

Im a freak, so I love ménage a trois

And I really care less if you twice my size

[Chorus]

[50 Cent]

Them Snickers got your ass getting

Those cookies got your ass getting fat, fat

That Cake got your ass getting fat, fat

Bitch you grown, that aint baby fat, fat

[50 Cent]

Stay the fuck away from me, fucken fat bitch

Fuck with Tony Yayo ho

Uh, oh, stop, dont you touch me

I mean this shit ho

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by Keysking:

And I believe that a good turntablist is every bit a musician as any other instrumentalist. Just my opinion, of course.

- Jeff

yes.. im sure a turntablist knows a LOT about music...and has studied music and practised for 15 years to be "every bit a musician as any other instrumentalist"... and yes.. i AM being sarcastic.

(You know, I'm sick of writing this bit, here, but I'm gonna do it anyway because I think you need your point of view opened up a little -- though I despair that that's not even possible.)

I've been listening to jazz and classical music my whole life. I've been playing guitar for over 3 decades. I've seen everyone from Louis Armstrong and Count Basie and Dave Brubeck to Jimi Hendrix to the Kronos Quartet to Pepe Romero to Nels Cline to Joe Pass. I've been a season subscriber to my local symphony for most of the last two decades.

And I'm here to tell you that guys like you crack me the hell up.

You appear to think you are the arbiter of all that is of value in art and music and that you are qualified to sit in judgement of other artists -- even when you obviously don't have a flippin' clue what their art form is all about.

Your mind is apparently closed tight and that's your business -- but when you jump in slagging other musicians -- when you don't know the first thing about their art form -- that pisses this ol cowboy off. Big.

As a musician, I'm insulted by being associated with someone as close-minded as you.

I have a bachelor's degree in music and attended Berklee. I've taught college audio engineering. I have 30 years under my belt as a guitarist and keyboardist, and have played professionally for over 20 years.

And again, let me state for the record that there are turntablists who are virtuosos on their instrument. However, there is one major difference... most of them don't show a disgusting prejudice against entire genres of music and fellow musicians.

- Jeff

Hip Hop is just kind of a way to make ends meet until you can establish your movie career... :thu:

Well you shouldn't be. Let's see you sit your ass down with a couple of turntables and create the rhythms that a good DJ and make.

I see it as a percussion instrument. A very clever and inventive use of essentially a 'found object' as a musical instrument.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Ya I had the privilege of playing with a turntablist?? Playing mainly some pop rock! We did a jam night and this guy showed up and just rocked! The drummer did his thing and this guy just added some rythmns in there that really funked it up really cool. Too bad the others in my band at the time had the same values as Mr. Musician above, they pissed him off and I never even got his name... I'm sure there are amature's playing all instruments! I'd put them in there somewhere like a percussionists! :D Dude if you are reading this and played up in Orillia a few months ago PM me man, that was cool!
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

Da Weasel's got the cowboy beat, pique-wise. And he's got more -- and drier -- ammunition, too. I'm getting out of the line of fire, here. I defer to Jeff's superior firepower. :D

[PS... yah, I have been supremely cranky this weekend.]

Originally posted by where02190:

Where's Dwayno, I'm sure he'll be visit'n here soon, with lots to say on why Ashlees better'n 50¢ or anybody else!!!!!!!!!

Let the games begin...AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can safely say that DJW isn't likely to be showing up in this thread...

I guess you didn't get the memo Where.

I want to know how in the hell the do that without screwing up the stylus....

I'm not a rap fan but I can damned sure see the expertise some of those turntable scratch guys have.

One hell of alot more talent to do that than what it takes to be a DJ, IMHO.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

As a musician, I'm insulted by being associated with someone as close-minded as you.

I have a bachelor's degree in music and attended Berklee. I've taught college audio engineering. I have 30 years under my belt as a guitarist and keyboardist, and have played professionally for over 20 years.

And again, let me state for the record that there are turntablists who are virtuosos on their instrument. However, there is one major difference... most of them don't show a disgusting prejudice against entire genres of music and fellow musicians.

Word. :thu:

Originally posted by Bunny.:

Word. :thu:
No doubt about it - a good scratch artist is a sight to see & a sound to hear! :thu::thu: And I think you might find them to be quite knowledgeable about music too, man.

Even some 'regular old' DJ's can prove to be formidable music producers.

The Long Beach DJ, Nobody (Elvin Estela), who's out on tour opening for neo-prog neo-fauvists, The Mars Volta, put together the music for his 2003 album Pacific Drift from snips of vinyl put into a cheap DJ sampler and then woven together in PT by an engineer who sometimes frequents this BB (but doesn't like to talk on the net about what he does -- so it obviously ain't me :D ).

While Nobody's first album was adventurous hip hop, PD is more a nod to 60's psychedelica, complete with a cover of the Monkee's "Porpoise Song" with vocals by Chris Gunst from Beechwood Sparks. In fact, that track is a good example of Nobody's craft. Woven together from tiny bits and pieces of music and sound from several decades, its postmodern methodology is belied by a mostly coherent, accessible and even, at times, melodic feel.

Originally posted by theblue1:

The Long Beach DJ, Nobody (Elvin Estela), who's out on tour opening for neo-prog neo-fauvists, The Mars Volta, put together the music for his 2003 album Pacific Drift from snips of vinyl put into a cheap DJ sampler and then woven together in PT by an engineer who sometimes frequents this BB (but doesn't like to talk on the net about what he does -- so it obviously ain't me :D ).

While Nobody's first album was adventurous hip hop, PD is more a nod to 60's psychedelica, complete with a cover of the Monkee's "Porpoise Song" with vocals by Chris Gunst from Beechwood Sparks. In fact, that track is a good example of Nobody's craft. Woven together from tiny bits and pieces of music and sound from several decades, its postmodern methodology is belied by a mostly coherent, accessible and even, at times, melodic feel.

This example is the exception, not the norm.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by 4-Dak Recorder:

Originally posted by theblue1:

This example is the exception, not the norm.
I'm sure there are a bunch of lame DJ's out there. Heaven knows there used to be. (Just like bands, of course. ;) )

And, actually, I'm not entirely sure which came first for Nobody. I know he's been working in a record store for ages. He's been spinning at clubs for a while, but I think it was his recorded productions that put him on the map.

BTW... I'm told that when he opened on the Euro leg of the Mars Volta tour that the show opened with a baby spot on him with his tables on a short podium. Not sure I want to try that in front of a Rolling Stones audience...

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Originally posted by where02190:

Where's Dwayno, I'm sure he'll be visit'n here soon, with lots to say on why Ashlees better'n 50¢ or anybody else!!!!!!!!!

Let the games begin...AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can safely say that DJW isn't likely to be showing up in this thread...

I guess you didn't get the memo Where.

What'd I miss Phil? Did Dwayno get a spanking?

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I've played jazz for 50 years, and until a few years ago, did not think much of turntable players; even recognizing the art in what they do (and the first time I saw one work, he wasn't even that good but I'm saying, "Damn, how's he doing that?")

Then I played three nights with a prog band that had just added a turntablist. They had given me their CD (made before the tt guy joined the band) and the band was OK - but when he came on board the band started really grooving hard. WAY better feel than withiut.

And then I heard this track from the 'Organized' CD with Martin, Mediski and Wood featuring DJ Logic - it's like listening to Stockhausen or Penderecki. A good turntablist is a percussionist extraordinaire.

Many famous and highly talented 'world' musician has had little or no training outside of learning from his family or village, yet the song shines through - this is the same, there are brilliant artists playing turntables and there are a lot of schlock artists as well, probably 100 to 1 - okay, 20 to 1 for competent...

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Archived