Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Took the kid to the driving range

Got to see him swing a golf club for the first time.

He didn't really warm to it at first, but as he watched me hit most of a large bucket, he started critiquing me, saying the same things I'd ben saying to him.

"Head down, Daddy."

"Daddy, you took your eye off the ball that time."

"Slow down your swing, Daddy."

The other guys on the range were cracking up. Sadly, he was pretty much correct each time he told me what I was doing wrong. The comment that busted everyone up:

"That one would have been good Daddy, but I think it's supposed to go straight instead of to the right."

Remind me not to hire him as a caddy just yet.

- Jeff

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a nasty slice it is!

I got the pro shop to lend me a kid's sized 9-iron, and he hit a few balls pretty well. I think he'll like the game... he asked when we were golfing again when we were on the way home. :thu:

- Jeff

Great story, Jeff. Your son is the next Butch Harmon.

My 2 younger daughters expressed interest in learning golf. They share a set of junior clubs and I take them to the range on the weekends. But, I don't hit balls along with them. I wouldn't be able to take the criticism!

Hope you'll forgive a father-son sport story not involving golf...

When my son was 13 he and the neighbors kids were playing ball on their portable goal. I was half hungover but went out and was dropping 15 jumpers like clockwork. Game? OK, me and the two tiny females against my kid and his buddy.

He was about 6'3" at 13. I'm 6'6". They were merciless on the young females blocking shots and stealing the ball. Since I was fairly stoned I just shot the ball where ever I could get it.

We were tied at game point when tiny female #1 hit me with a beautiful lead pass to the hole. As I went up to dunk game point, my loving son clobbered me with a cheap shot that would have shamed Dennis Rodman.

As I lay there in complete shock, trying to focus my vision, he scored the final point and walked off the court, with out even a help the old man up.

As I got up and limped to the house, I couldn't have been more proud.

Originally posted by Jokerelli:

My soon to be 6 year old who is a lefty has a real set of clubs and is dying for me to take him to a driving range. His attention span is not adequate just yet and I fear for my life and anyone who might be in his range. :eek:

My boy turns six in June, and he's often as controllable as a derailed train.

His favorite part was when I was trying to pepper the range ball picker. Got him, too, with a screaming 4-iron off the back foot. :thu:

- Jeff

Archived