Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

avalon 747, anyone use this gear, I am buying it

Originally posted by Botch.:

The 747 is so 2001, go for the Airbus, it has that continental flair that you just can't get from the older stuff...

I'd wait for the reviews on that one. It's too new.

I wish they'd still make the Concorde, what a sweet unit that was. Nobody can beat those specs, to this day.

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by offramp:

Anyone else see a pattern emerging, here?

Oh ya there's a pattern here alright.

Jokers bashing anybody with talent, and who try to take the thread off topic, with insults and snide remarks. It really gets boring. Sooo, if you can't add anything constructive to the topic...shaaadddddup already !!!!!

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

As I haven't specifically used the 747, I can't comment on its sonic quality. But, I have been using an AD2044 Opto-compressor since 2000, and I'm still very pleased with the results. And since the 747 is supposed to be the step up from the AD2K line, I'd wager that a 747 would be a nice addition to your audio gear arsenal.

And, just to keep in line with the jokers:

"Dood, you said ARSEnal" huhuhuhhhuhuhhuuu :D

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Oh ya there's a pattern here alright.

Jokers bashing anybody with talent, and who try to take the thread off topic, with insults and snide remarks. It really gets boring. Sooo, if you can't add anything constructive to the topic...shaaadddddup already !!!!!

Exactly. I didn`t want to say anything but there is a club here of a dozen or so "professionals" who consistently take a thread off topic. This has happened to me several times as well since I`ve been here. Its frustrating. Whatever your experiences with a poster has been in the past, leave it be. Your sly remarks and insults do nothing to improve the situation.

This individual is clearly asking for advice. Some here have made fun of her lack of knowledge on the subject and its simply wrong and not funny.

Theres an ancient proverb..."Who you are speaks so loud I can`t hear a word you`re saying."

Think about that for awhile. Treat everyone with some respect, grow up.

Now back to our scheduled programming...

Melissa,

As far as I know, the circuitry of the Boeing 747 is solid state these days rather than tube. That having been said, many of the drawbacks of solid state are exaggerated, particularly if the equipment is well made. I guess what Im saying is that while it is used far more frequently as a plane than a preamp, I wouldnt dismiss the Boeing 747 out of hand merely because it is not tube. It has a certain heft associated with well made gear (its power supply does not terminate in a wall wart), and of course, gobs of headroom, although admittedly the legroom isnt what it used to be.

The Avalon is also nice. I wouldnt worry too much about tube life.

I think youd be happy with either the Avalon or the Boeing. Theyre both nice units.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Well, from what I know about Marissa, she does indeed go for quality in her music, instruments, and recording equipment, and we all know that costs money. That money has to come from somewhere, to pay for equipment, living expenses, ect...she's been banging the gong for more support for the arts, which in my opinion is a good thing. More people should support her efforts. She's made a sizable investment in her career, and has every right to expect a return on her investment.

I wouldn't mind having an Avalon 747 myself. From the the reviews I've read, it's really a sweet sounding top shelf piece of gear.

Living' in the shadow,

I am tired of the lies being spread about me and my wild ideas ...I was tryng to get hits ...so I said something outrageous to get attention. not a smart idea...because now everyone thinks I want 1000 dollars cd.

I wish people woulc stop making big deal about what I said two years ago for a month.

I am not charging anything and I haven't been charging anything for my music for years...I accept donations from patrons etc ....

I wish I could get more done...I am moving again and I have to pay 90 dollars an hour to fix my Otari...

I wish I could do it myself ..but the equipment and lessons for that is also in the humdreds and thousands...

recording made simple, is with digital...

but I love recording on tape and then going to analog that is why there is such delay..bye now, have to go to work...no sleep...

I never sleep...I have try to record into the wee hours of the morning..cause of the traffic right now.. I am sure I am not the only one...

I know it costs to have some one else do it, that's why I try to learn how to do things myself. I've been working on an old TEAC A4010A two track machine, just to get that analog/old time sound, and it's really paying off, with really good quality pre-amps and sound.

that sounds interesting wayne..dj...

I like the sound of tape..

and i heard and read that tubes warm up the sound because the sound travels more slowly in the recording process and then makes the sound appear to be warmer through distortion of the sound..much like tape...

I am getting mastering equipment too..but

I don't have everything I want in life...just mostly mostly studio gear, instrumets and sound booths...

I don't live like a queen..the house I rent in boston right now, is not a very nice home, it isn't a complete dump...but I am moving...to a place more affordable soon...

with less traffic...

thanks for all the input...

Please forget about the craziness a few years ago..I am not the same person as two years ago...

I have grown up...

So what exactly is wrong with the Otari ?? Just need alignment or adjustment or broken parts, drive belt ?? If you can tell us what it's not doing right, maybe we can help get it fixed for you.....Tape machines are slowly dissappearing and becoming rare, so if you can get it in working condition now, while some parts are still available, you'll be better off in the long run.

To give you an example, on my old Teac A4010S 1/4" reel machine, I only found one place online that had a duplicate drive belt for it...Luckily, I also found the installation instructions, which really saved the day...as installing the belt was really tricky, and had to be done a certain way.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:

Exactly. I didn`t want to say anything but there is a club here of a dozen or so "professionals" who consistently take a thread off topic. This has happened to me several times as well since I`ve been here. Its frustrating. Whatever your experiences with a poster has been in the past, leave it be. Your sly remarks and insults do nothing to improve the situation.

This individual is clearly asking for advice. Some here have made fun of her lack of knowledge on the subject and its simply wrong and not funny.

Theres an ancient proverb..."Who you are speaks so loud I can`t hear a word you`re saying."

Think about that for awhile. Treat everyone with some respect, grow up.

Now back to our scheduled programming... [/QB]

Well, ernest...for one, I--personally--have never made fun of you. So you could start by remembering that. Two, a search of recent topics would shed some light on djwayne's fit into the forum. Three, Marissa seems to forget--as many around here haven't--about the sheer arrogance and insulting behavior she displayed previously around here and in other forums, focusing instead on 'a comment' made a couple of years ago.

People remember the behavior...I'm sure there's a proverb or three about that, too. It's hard for many people around here and elsewhere to take some seriously because of this.

Make sure the high horse has a saddle before you hop on.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

So who elected you judge on who can or cannot post here ??

Maybe it's time for you to find another hobby ??

Maybe you're the one who needs to get off the high horse.

I thought sheer arrogance and insulting behavior is the norm here....

Living' in the shadow,

ok, i will give melisa a second chance.

(puts sarcasm back in drawer)

here's my real advice:

buy the avalon (you did)

use it till the tubes go bad, then either retube it ($$$$)

or sell it and buy another brand/style pre. you will get a fair amount for this pre by selling it.

so basically your in good shape.

now i think i'll start picking on djwayne instead......i've held off a long time but lately he's been baiting me........

Look who's talking about baiting ....

Quit stinking up the thread, and act like a pro for once, instead of a whiny, annoying two year old, will ya ????

Living' in the shadow,

Well, ernest...for one, I--personally--have never made fun of you. So you could start by remembering that.
Actually I never said anyone made fun of me so please re-read my post before you start addressing me with accusations. I did mention that several people here have a tendency to bring topics off topic which is frustrating.

Two, a search of recent topics would shed some light on djwayne's fit into the forum.
Actually I have not searched anyone nor do I care to. However I do agree with him in this instance. I do not know him or the woman who started this thread but there is a meanness in many of the posts towards her. It is not appropriate and I find it disturbing that a forum like this allows for such mean spirited posts.

Three, Marissa seems to forget--as many around here haven't--about the sheer arrogance and insulting behavior she displayed previously around here and in other forums, focusing instead on 'a comment' made a couple of years ago. People remember the behavior...I'm sure there's a proverb or three about that, too. It's hard for many people around here and elsewhere to take some seriously because of this.
Again, I do not feel someones behavior from several years ago let alone yesterday should allow for such mean spirited responses from several people. From what I can read in her original post she was asking a sincere question. She deserves a sincere answer from those that use the product she was inquiring about.

Make sure the high horse has a saddle before you hop on.
If trying to keep a thread on topic and respectful is high horsing, I apologize.

(puts sarcasm back in drawer)

Thank you. :)

I admit to joking around a bit in this thread, but not in any mean-spirited way. MM has apologised for her earlier posts, and therefore, Im willing to forget about it... while keeping it in the back of my mind in case of future transgressions. ;) However, I'm a moderator, so I have to take that mindset. For everyone else, I recommend giving her another chance. And dropping all the finger pointing and arguments please. :)

MM, I recommend you don't get too caught up about the tube issue. Unless you're working 8-10 hours a day, every day, you're going to go a LONG time before you need to retube that Avalon. And new tubes are not all THAT expensive, and replacing them is not all that difficult.

The question of tube vs solid state can be quite a can of worms. Some people LOVE tube devices for many reasons... and Avalon generally makes excellent stuff. However, many companies use the term "tube" as little more than a marketing gimmic... sticking a tube into the device that has little or nothing to do with the audio path, using a starved plate voltage, etc. Many people don't care for such devices from a sonic standpoint, but then again, what sounds good is subjective.

Both solid state and tube devices can sound great, middle of the road or downright dreadful. It depends on the design and the parts used. Both types of gear can be designed to sound clean and transparent or "musically colored". For example, a Neve 1073 mic preamp / EQ is far from "transparent", even though it is a solid state, Class A (amplifier type) design. And just because they're solid state doesn't mean they suck. :) Ditto that for tube devices - don't be swayed into thinking something is going to sound great just because it has "toobs" in it. Some certainly do, but not everything does. As I said, the Avalon stuff generally falls into the "sounds good" class IMO.

Just so everyone knows:

There are no micpre's in the 747...

(unless some one checked them as baggage!)

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

Sorry if my joking offended you Marissa...

I remember last time you were here and to be honest when I saw your question under your name I assumed it was someone like the Wewus who was playing tricks on us.Never guessed you'd have the guts to come back here an ask something after what happened. This to me shows that you're forgiving and a pro.

I had no idea it was you for real.

I can't help you with your question,all I know is that replacing tubes isn't a hard job to do.

Boosh

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Originally posted by gearmike:

Just so everyone knows:

There are no micpre's in the 747...

(unless some one checked them as baggage!)

Hmmm.... do you think she'd be better off with a couple of Tampa's from M-Audio ???? (She's recording mostly acoustic guitar, grand piano, & vocals)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TAMPA-main.html

Living' in the shadow,

No offense to Gus, but I don't think the TAMPAS are in the same class as the Avalon stuff.

If she'd looking for a micpre and not a compressor, I'd highly recomend the Grace 201...

Seriously, what the f*ck with the candles? Where does this candle impulse come from, and in what other profession does it get expressed?

-steve albini

747's a Avalon stereo compressor / EQ... the 737Sp is a mic pre / compressor / EQ, but mono. If indeed it is a mic pre you're after, then there's a ton of great options available.

Question #1: What's the budget?

Question #2: What's the intended applications? Piano / ac gtr and vox? What mics are you using?

Question #3: Are you looking for clean ("straight wire with gain") or musically pleasant "color"?

Question #4: Does it "have" to be tube? Remember - both clean and colorful units are available using each of these technologies.

BTW, I agree with Mike - the Grace units (solid state, "straight wire with gain" approach) are excellent mic preamps. But they don't have any compression or EQ included with them.

So if we can, can we please define exactly what is is you're looking for MM?

Maybe she's under the impression the Avalon is a pre-amp. I kind of thought it was too, but after re-reading the product description, it appears to be a very good quality Tube Compressor/EQ, with a gain REDUCTION....so what you're saying is that she would need the Avalon and the Grace for a top notch audio chain. Cost approx $4,000 vrs the Tampa and $500 per channel, list price.

As much as I would like to have an Avalon and Grace unit, I'm more of a Tampa guy due to budget restrictions. Maybe AFTER I get a hit record and sell a few million copies.......

After checking my wallet, for now I'll have to be satisfied with my Tubessence pre-amp and Rane DC-24 compressor, or the pre-amps in the old TEAC A4010S reel to reel machine.

Thanks for your input !!!!

Living' in the shadow,

Absolutely, this in exactly why topics need to be discussed, without interference from the kiddies interupting and annoying the adults.

Marissa has come here for advice, and I'd like to see her get some good input, which she has gotten some. All the other non-sense just gets in the way, it's too bad really, because there are some very quality people here on these forums. We don't need the smarty pants posts or comedian wannabee's sidetracking the threads, or slinging the mud.

Play nice, or go down and post in the Sweat forum, for mindless banter.

Living' in the shadow,

Absolutely, this in exactly why topics need to be discussed, without interference from the kiddies interupting and annoying the adults.

And we could do without comments like this one, which just perpetuate the problem. :rolleyes:LAST warning Wayne...

No further discussion is desired on or about the off topic stuff in this thread please. I'm getting tired of this! Any issues? Drop me a PM.

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:

Phil,

Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

Just to re-confirm, the 747 is a compressor and graphic EQ, thats it, NO EQ!

I think you meant to say "no preamps". ;)

Has anyone had any experience with the Joe Meek Twin? I know its new but it looks pretty nice.

I reviewed one of their lower budget boxes - the ThreeQ - a few issues back in EQ, and I liked it. I have not put the Twin through the torture tests yet though. :)

If you can't play by the rules, and if you can not follow specific moderator instructions, then maybe that would be best. We've had PM discussions and you've been warned about not instigating arguments, and I see at least two things in that previous post that were DELIBERATELY and SPECIFICALLY designed to tick other people off.

Don't try to play the "my opinion" card with me Wayne... your opinion can be stated in a fair and reasonable manner. You have decided to do otherwise, even when I've specifically asked you not to.

Whatever happens, you've brought it upon yourself.

Archived