Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

avalon 747, anyone use this gear, I am buying it

I am investing in tube gear..another mic, and this compresor pre. after 5000 or so housrs..do you have to send it back to the company for them to install new tubes.? it has a life of about 5000 hours or maybe 10000 hours..I am curious if anyone here was happy with this gear.

Marissa Marchant

recording is getting hairy...I use analog and digital..I am learning mastering right now and a million other things...I could use some help.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I live in boston .

I don't live in new mexico.

everyone tries to find personal info on people on the net...can't we just focus on the music and not where people live?

do you know anything about the avalon 747...if so email me..

I have to run..I have working right now...

and very busy...

www.marissamarchant.com/contact.html

if anyone knows how the avalon 747 is working for them let me know.

I am moving back to new york state., from massachusetts.

I had an Avalon 747 and it worked awesome but when The music got slightly better it just quit working.

It started a website of it's own and started charching me 5000$ an hour because it felt music was art and not for everyone.

It's exact words were : "My work is not for the masses,...I am like a van Gogh and want to be treated that way".

That day I chopped it up and burned it together with a CD I once bought from a chick singer I met on the Net. She thought alike.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

o.k...

whatever,

it stopped working after how many hours?

it is pricey. I work ..and I get some donations.

some people care.

I work a job too.

anyway...

thankyou for the input...

good bye for now...

smiles!!!!!!

If you can't replace your own tubes after 5 - 10K hours, you shouldn't get a 747. If you can't afford a retube job every 5 - 10K hours, you shouldn't get a 747. If you don't have a multiengine, commercial ticket, you shouldn't get a 747. ;)

avalon 747, anyone use this gear, I am buying it
I don't have one, but I have a Boeing 747. It's parked in my backyard. It's louder and faster than the Avalon, and therefor better.

Avalon sucks, get a Boeing. It costs more, but you will be happier in the long run. :D

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Hey Marissa, what's up ?? Avalon, eh ?? Should work well with the Otari, I don't have any actual experience with one, but changing tubes is simple once you've done it. I use an old Tubessence pre-amp, and it works wonders. I've had it for years and have never had to change the tube. The Avalon should be even better.

Any chick with an Otari is cool in my book.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

hi, I am a chick with a Otari ahahha.

Boeing, that name I will have to look up.

it is warmer, ?

I will look it up on the net.

they say that the tubes in these pre amps only work up to 5 k or 10 k. I guess I could get a retubing job and find out what they cost..but I have a long time till that happens..

anyway..

I need good outboard compresion from the avalon, i ordered it..I could still get the boeing..but I have to look at prices and specs.

I called to see how much it costs to optimaize the damned Otari...90 dollars an hour in these parts.

I am now looking into an instructor at berkeley and seeing what he would charge to teach me to align it myself with a MLR tape...

I am afraid the gear to tweek the otari with cost alot..those Otari eight tracks etc...cost a bundle to take care of...

bills...

I know it costs to have some one else do it, that's why I try to learn how to do things myself. I've been working on an old TEAC A4010A two track machine, just to get that analog/old time sound, and it's really paying off, with really good quality pre-amps and sound.

I've got a Tascam DA-88, that need some work done a few years ago, cost me $500, $90 an hour for their techs to fix it. So now I'm just recording into Adobe's Audition 1.5 and saving the DA-88 for special occassions.

Even still though, it's cheaper than buying studio time at a high quality studio.

Living' in the shadow,

Get lost hacker wanna bee

Who's t3h hax0r?

Mellisha,

Have you worked with any tube gear at all? I don't know if you noticed this or not, but there's a whole lot of hype surrounding it. It's mostly confined to the guitar amp market but you know how the phrase goes "good for the goose/good for the gander". Marketing is a savage animal..

Anyways, a lot of people don't notice the obvious part that tubes are antiquated technology. In the 1970s Solid State stuff was crap, but modern stuff is much better- LOTS more clarity, less distortion, more transparent. Chaining all sorts of tube-fired stuff together, you'll see the problem is additive- it'll start getting more and more muddled and mushy sounding. Most of the pros know this as FACT but for the unwashed masses, unfortunately solid-state stuff still hasn't shaken the stigma of 30 years ago :rolleyes:

If you look at a lot of guitar amp and power amp schematics these days, more and more stuff is done with solid state components. Amps have fewer and fewer tubes, and some of them are powered, but aren't even in the signal path :eek: . It's all a "placebo effect". Sure, tubes are bigger, and more robust, and often last longer and hold up to gigging better than an all solid-state amp, but they can't match it in clarity and definition. All the delicate nuances get lost in the mush.

Without using such a lame phrase, most people "in the know" use all digital, all solid-state stuff from beginning to end for a "modern sound"- Alesis has stirred up a cottage community around some of its compressors, like the A3630.

There's nothing wrong with making a "vintage sounding" recording, it's just been SO done. I don't know what you've recorded your material with in the past, but if you look at some of the more upscale master-jobs on a lot of recent CDs, there's an unmistakeable crispness that some, but not all, studios and labels have caught on to.

Oh well, my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by marchantt:

it is warmer, ?

Warmer? The Boeing is H-O-T compared to the measly Avalon. Of course you could always get the 717, it's an entry model, and considerably cheaper, but still costly.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

I don`t own the 747 but I do own two 737s and they are fantastic. I have used the 747 and it is very flexible. I like Avalon gear alot. We also use the 2022 mic pre. What else can I say? Its pro gear and you will enjoy it. I wouldn`t be concerned about the tubes though. That is miniscule and 5000 hours is alot of time so...

Good luck,

Ernest

I am investing in tube gear..another mic, and this compresor pre. after 5000 or so housrs..do you have to send it back to the company for them to install new tubes.? it has a life of about 5000 hours or maybe 10000 hours..I am curious if anyone here was happy with this gear.

Marissa Marchant

recording is getting hairy...I use analog and digital..I am learning mastering right now and a million other things...I could use some help.

I've got an Avalon 737. It uses four tubes. When I bought it (from Mercenary) I wrote them back with my impressions of it and they liked my words and stuck them on the website. My last question to them in my mail was what was the tube life like. Fletcher said under normal use the tubes ought to last around ten years. He drop shipped from Avalon to me a new set of spare tubes for my unit as a dividend for writing my impressions of the Avalon which became an article.

I'd guess that the ten year bit should be similar to the 747. They run the voltage pretty hot, but the unit doesn't get abused nearly like a guitar amp.

It's very easy to change tubes. Drop me an email in ten years and I'll walk you through it. ;)

Originally posted by Zweite Version:

it is warmer, ?

Warmer? The Boeing is H-O-T compared to the measly Avalon. Of course you could always get the 717, it's an entry model, and considerably cheaper, but still costly.
Oh, my goodness! I am at a loss for words...and that doesn't happen very often (note post count).

Holy cow!

:idea:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I've chatted with Marissa many times over the years. I've also listened to her music, and found some very worthwhile music in her collection. I admire her talent and determination. She has some wild ideas about cd prices, but many of them do indeed have some merit, and she does have a point about how some artists not making enough to pay their bills...it's a tough business... but she is trying to put a value on her art, which makes more sense than saying it's worthless...but any chick who has a Otari 8-track, Petrof Grand Piano, and is looking at an Avalon Pre-amp, must be respected, over the girls who wish they had another quart of Budweiser.

I too am interested in hearing about actual users who have worked the Avalon equipment, and how it stacks up against other pre-amps, like M-Audio's Tampa for instance.

Living' in the shadow,

Archived