Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P Johnnie Johnson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first two albums I ever owned were greatest hits collections by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. While my high school friends back in the 70s were heavily into bands like Zep, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and the Doors, my preference was records featuring the greatness of Mr. Johnson. RIP, Johnny - you'll always "B. Goode" to me.

Oh man. That one hurts. :( Most people will never know - and maybe even Johnnie himself never knew - how much he really contributed to the invention and vocabulary of rock'n'roll. It just simply wouldn't be what it is without him.

RIP Johnnie.

here's a good johnnie story, and i hope lee reads this one:

i had the honor to meet johnnie a few years ago in NYC through a monster boogie woogie piano player friend of mine. during his show, she was literally sitting in with johnnie (her and johnnie sitting on the bench playing the same piano) when, who walks in and onstage to play but "keef" richards. after the set, we're in the dressing room, and my friend introduces herself to keith. she says "hi, i'm a student of johnnie's."

and without missing a beat, keith goes "aren't we all!"

nothing more need be said.

-d. gauss

He was my primary influence for rock piano, which I played in the late fifties, and I never knew his name until maybe 1995 or so. Over the years when I asked other musicians, "Who was Chuck Berry's pianist," the ansqwer was always "I dunno, but he sure was great..."

One of the true greats and pioneers, I'm glad the Hall of Fame remembered him.

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Died on my birthday... :(

I heard, on these boards, that Jimmie may have been responsible for some of the musical devices of rock & roll that are attributed to Chuck Berry. Regardless of what was created by each man, Jimmie certainly was a giant in music history, yet his name will likely be lost to all but true scholars of rock & roll.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived