Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Censorship on The Songwriters Forum.

One thing that I must mention; I only read a small portion of the CommieMart thread, enough to see the initial lyric, and immediately thought LIBEL suit... not from Walmart, but from Tom Delay. ;)

There was absolutely nothing that moved me about what I saw, so I didn't feel inspired to read any further.

When I'm looking at lyrical content, I try keeping my writing habits neutral to where ALL audiences might be receptive to the content. I'm not one for targeting one group of people while alienating another group. Also, more than likely the rest of the world could not care less about a Wally World song. I can almost guarantee that mentioning Tom Delay's name to a foreigner would not give them any reason to jump out and grab a tune slamming him for his ill will. While most would recognize the name Bush, many wouldn't have a clue as to who DeLay is.... that even goes for America as well as those countries abroad.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ani,

There are threads all over the net that slam CommieMart, now there's even a CD with a song called "I Hate WalMart" which appears to be lyrically quite good. I hope people will request that their local stations play it, I have not heard it yet, but I suspect it's pretty good judging from the lyrics which are strong enough to stand on their own. YMMV on this.

As for the Ballad of Corrupt Congressman Tom Delay being shut down after only 9 posts...that seems a bit extreme to me. How about you?

And Delay is a public figure so he has to take the heat just like all politicians do, satire and joking around are all part of the territory...Late night TV is full of taking shots at politicians or things in the news that are controversial, happens all the time.

Maybe they have more guts than others, I dunno.

I still like listening to the song "Joe Hill" even though many people do not know who he was. Protest songs have a funny way of bringing light to matters that people may not be aware of, and I think that's a good thing.

Again, YMMV.

Originally posted by Ani:

Ah yes, but although you stand corrected on the i's and the t's; no one bothered to mention how YOU corrected the poor grammar by using "because" instead of "cause"

"Is easy CAUSE you're beautiful" :D BE cause would have thrown the timing off so they dropped it. :rolleyes:

Ani, you're one perceptive lady!

-Peace, Love, and Is easy CAUSE you're beautifulLips

Originally posted by Saint Johnny B:

I still like listening to the song "Joe Hill" even though many people do not know who he was. Protest songs have a funny way of bringing light to matters that people may not be aware of, and I think that's a good thing.

Saint Johnny,

I'm all about sticking up for people who everyone else is beating up on (sometimes becoming the person who everyone else beats up on as well!).

But in this case, I'm happy to join the mob and beat up on you because you're really being phony about this whole protest song thing. Everyone agrees that writing protest songs is a good thing to do. Writing any kind of song is a good thing to do. But it doesn't seem like that's what you're doing. Instead, using the pretext of writing a song, you're simply hijacking music threads and typing your political views again and again. As compared to writing a protest song which is a wonderful thing, simply typing your views again and again on a music thread is easy, dopey, and annoying.

Imagine, for example, if I said that I would like to write a protest song about Johnny B. Pop quiz: what am I really doing?

------------------

post 1

OK everyone, I'm writing a protest song about Johnny B. I've got my first line. It goes something like this:

Johnny B is an idiot. What an idiot he is.

Pretending to write a song, he's just going on and on.

Any thoughts?

post 2

Bump

post 3

Still working on my Johnny B protest song. (Aren't protest songs great?!). Anyways, this is how it starts:

Johnny B is an idiot. What an idiot he is.

Pretending to write a song, he's just going on and on.

Any thoughts on a next line?

post 4

Hi everyone! Still working on my Johnny B protest song here. Can anyone help me with this verse:

He's really not interested in song,

just in keeping his infantile tirade chugging along

maybe when he was a kid something went terribly wrong

or maybe he's just a big 'ol dong.

Do you think that last line is too country-sounding for a rock tune?

post 5

Hi gang. Still working on that Johnny B protest song!

Can anyone think of a good rhyme for "lazy-assed whore?"

Thanks in advance!

post 6

bump

------------------------

Now back to writing a real song, which includes things like, you know, music!!!

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Originally posted by Philter:

Well, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, after skimming through a million of Johnnie's Commie Mart posts I admit that whenever I hear of or see the real thing, "Commie Mart" pops into my head.

And all the people who took the time to contribute to this thread are going to probably experience the same thing.

So Johnny, on one hand you took some heat over it, but on the other hand, you got more publicity than you could have hoped for. You should thank all these folks for playing into your hand.

That's a case of mistaken ID, though, Philter.

What one thinks of is the controversy over JB, not WalMart or the suposed intended purpose of the "jingle".

Further, it will never affect the mass marketplace because it's creator has no real idea on how to influence people, only how to alientate them; nor does he seem to have the ability to actually complete those ditties (or allow others to collab) or to have the vision of how to expose them to anyone elsewhere.

But I'd like to hear more about this Draft Lee Flier movement.

Originally posted by Anderton:

Hey, I think we finally found our Veep candidate to go along with the Draft Lee Flier for President movement. Phil, you game? I'll endorse you if you agree to appoint Gus Secretary of State.

Yeah!! ... and my first job will be to get all those frigging illegal mexicans out of our count... errr... nevermind :D

What would be your role in our team, Craig? VP at Large?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

"and some people couldn't care less about your political views."

Craig meant, "could care less", couldn't gives weight to your perspectives.

I didn't read it BTW but if it's politically charged and the right wing whines to get the moderator to act, it's no different then Congress and the right wing...

The persuasion comes from the squeaking wheel.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Yep, that thought occured to me too. Esp for the thread for The Ballad of Corrupt Congressman Tom Delay which got locked up after only nine posts.

BTW, Corrupt Congressman Tom Delay was all over the news this weekend, even this morning they are still talking about him.

Hard to believe that the right wing neo-cons elevated this crook to be a big leader in the US Congress. Hard to believe the republican-controlled Congress castrated the Ethics Rules so Delay could stay a big leader, despite knowing that Criminal Indictments are looming large over DeLay's head.

Originally posted by Saint Johnny B:

Yep, that thought occured to me too. Esp for the thread for The Ballad of Corrupt Congressman Tom Delay which got locked up after only nine posts.

BTW, Corrupt Congressman Tom Delay was all over the news this weekend, even this morning they are still talking about him.

Hard to believe that the right wing neo-cons elevated this crook to be a big leader in the US Congress. Hard to believe the republican-controlled Congress castrated the Ethics Rules so Delay could stay a big leader, despite knowing that Criminal Indictments are looming large over DeLay's head.

Saint Johnny B,

I don't know where you live but in most parts of the country it's getting warmer outside. Perhaps you could turn off your radio and television, stop

reading your favorite news paper for one week and go outside and enjoy nature. Also, stop pointing your finger so much. Just a suggestion. :wave:

<<"and some people couldn't care less about your political views."

Craig meant, "could care less", couldn't gives weight to your perspectives.>>

No, I meant "couldn't care less," as is "could not care less" -- in other words, it would be impossible for them to actually care less.

<

Hard to believe that the right wing neo-cons elevated this crook to be a big leader in the US Congress. Hard to believe the republican-controlled Congress castrated the Ethics Rules so Delay could stay a big leader, despite knowing that Criminal Indictments are looming large over DeLay's head.>>

And this is the problem I have with you, Johnny B. This statement has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS FORUM OR THIS THREAD. IT IS A POLITICAL OPINION THAT BELONGS IN THE POLITICAL FORUM.

And for the record, I happen to agree with your sentiments. But I disagree vehemently with how you abuse the bandwidth that is being given here...over and over again. You show no respect for the the established protocols of this forum, and act with the same self-righteousness and impunity as the people you denigrate. DeLay thinks the rules don't apply to him; you don't think the rules apply to you. Well, they do.

One more promotion of a political agenda in SSS, and I will ask to have you banned. NOT because of your views...but because of your inability to show any respect for, or understanding of, the terms and conditions which you accepted when you joined these forums.

But as semantics go, could not care less, implies that one could care more...

Ah, that eye of the beholder and I do not dain to correct you as a rule Mr. A...

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

<

Hard to believe that the right wing neo-cons elevated this crook to be a big leader in the US Congress. Hard to believe the republican-controlled Congress castrated the Ethics Rules so Delay could stay a big leader, despite knowing that Criminal Indictments are looming large over DeLay's head.>>

And this is the problem I have with you, Johnny B. This statement has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS FORUM OR THIS THREAD. IT IS A POLITICAL OPINION THAT BELONGS IN THE POLITICAL FORUM.

And for the record, I happen to agree with your sentiments. But I disagree vehemently with how you abuse the bandwidth that is being given here...over and over again. You show no respect for the the established protocols of this forum, and act with the same self-righteousness and impunity as the people you denigrate. DeLay thinks the rules don't apply to him; you don't think the rules apply to you. Well, they do.

One more promotion of a political agenda in SSS, and I will ask to have you banned. NOT because of your views...but because of your inability to show any respect for, or understanding of, the terms and conditions which you accepted when you joined these forums.

Johnny B,

You're about to get:

http://cazic-thule.net/forums/attachment.php?s=d1d6718dcfb3f5b27f8a5159391c833a&attachmentid=60

...And this is the problem I have with you, Johnny B. This statement has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS FORUM OR THIS THREAD. IT IS A POLITICAL OPINION THAT BELONGS IN THE POLITICAL FORUM.

(Applause meter goes bezerk!)

I, for one, abhor people being banned from these forae. But there is only so much I, personally, am willing to take from someone who, so blatantly, breaks the rules. Freedom of speech is not equivalent to anarchy.

And that's all I have to say about this ridiculous issue.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Brittanylips:

Originally posted by Ani:

Ah yes, but although you stand corrected on the i's and the t's; no one bothered to mention how YOU corrected the poor grammar by using "because" instead of "cause"

"Is easy CAUSE you're beautiful" :D BE cause would have thrown the timing off so they dropped it. :rolleyes:

Ani, you're one perceptive lady!

-Peace, Love, and Is easy CAUSE you're beautifulLips

I'm a songwriter that has taken serious time to learn the craft of lyric writing. IMO the use of poor grammar, in an otherwise well written lyric, weakens the message in the song. Whereas one might enjoy the fluency of the song; there is this ONE sloppy word FORCED to fit because the writer could not come up with anything else to work. The oddity causes the listener to stop and think about the proper use of grammar instead of allowing the song to flow; that is, at least until the listener gets used to the error and accepts the song. Another "copout" line in the song is this....

Loving you

Is more than just a dream come true....

*** And everything that I do ***

Is out of loving you....

The actual song does not have the word "that", but instead goes like this:

And everything ahhh-I do

There was indeed room for another syllable in melodic structure to have allowed for the word "that", but the writer failed to observe the possiblities.

I have my own faults when it comes to writing; I've grown so comfortable with lyric writing that I'm horrible with punctuation in other types of writing. Just ask Dan South :D

I don't like chopped words that force completion of a sentence and I can't stand songs that force twenty part syllables into the space of 3 notes. :mad: Just a few pet peeves of mine when it comes to songwriting. I used to be real hard on "soft rhymes" but have learned a bit to ease up on that issue. Another area that annoys me is when someone throws in a rhyme, JUST BECAUSE IT RHYMES, and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

HERE! HERE! :thu:

Personally, I dislike crooks regardless of political party. I, however, keep it to myself until it's time to vote the sob out of office.

It is also my personal belief that anyone that aligns themselves with any political party line, on the line/agenda alone, is an imbicile. The only explaination can be they cannot think for themselves, but have to rely on other's to think for them.

When will folks realize the key to the whole thing is to choose the best person for the job, regardless of political affiliation?

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Johnny B is obviously trying to get banned. I'm guessing one of the regular trolls is tiring of this account/log in?

:rolleyes:

I fear that banning Johnny would accomplish absolutely nothing. My guess is one of regulars has two places to post from (most likely work and home-confusing the ip deal), or more clever ways of maintaining multiple log-ins.

Johnny is one side of a coin.

Archived